Quantcast

Looking for a new fork any suggestions

Runbuddha

Chimp
Feb 17, 2004
Tennessee
Wanted to get some input from you all on a new fork that would be great for all sorts of riding. From crosscountry to downhill. Price is an issue I'm a broke college kid. So let me know what you would suggest and if you know where I can get it cheap?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
What kind of fork are you looking for? Can your frame handle a DC fork, do you have a 1.5 headtube, would you prefer a long travel singlecrown over a DC with the same amount of travel? Do you care about travel adjustments (I assume you do but I might be wrong) are you looking for something with SPV, air preload, coil springs, air springs, high end or just good enough, 20mm axle or standard QR?

Based on the limited information you gave I'd suggest a Marzocchi All Mountain series fork.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
yeh what he said. but i would suggest something along the sherman line cause of the fact that there travel is adjustable on some of them and they will fit a 1.5 headtube for some of them and they are also not that heavy. or you can go with the all mountain line from marzocchi there both good choices

Runbuddha

Chimp
Feb 17, 2004
Tennessee
I'm wanting to stick with a single crown no need for dc and i'm riding a mountain cycle rumble hardtail if that helps out some more

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
It all depends on what you're doing, but I don't think you can go wrong with a 5" marzocchi.

5" is really all you need on a hardtail (in my opinion) and Marzocchis lower end stuff is exactly what a college kid needs, cheap, easy to work on, and reliable.

Check the buy and sell board...there is always a ton of stuff there.

Another good option if you could find it would be a FOX Vanilla RLC as they are adjustable from 3-5" (internally)...

thomas

Chimp
May 12, 2002
EMEA Googleplex
salut,

prolly i will get flamed now, but i had good luck with a manitou black elite with spv so far. It s stiff, handles abuse quite well and works fine for my riding res. with my ride setup (rigid mtx frame, single trails, technical (read slow) downhills)

other forks coming into me mind: rock shox pike, reba, manitou minute (all these forks are pretty affordable here in Europe, dunno bout the States)

Good luck

Thomas

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'll sell you a manitou black elite for $120 shipped. The bottom brake mount has a helicoil in it and the travel adjust doesn't work, it's stuck at 120mm. But hey, it's a 120mm fork for $120 with clean oil, fully functioning dampers and immaculate stanchions.

If you don't want it, I'd suggest buying a marzocchi. There are probably quite a few 5 inch z1 forks floating around used. And they last and last and last.........

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'd find a solid deal on a used fork if I were you...lots of great deals in the buy/sell forum. A Fox Vanilla, Marzocchi, or Manitou Sherman is probably your best bet.

MD

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Runbuddha said:
What About Rock Shox Psylo Good Bad About This Fork
I've got 4 pretty close friends who have owned and ridden them for a while. 3 of them had damper problems but were using them for jump bike forks. 2 of those have them fixed and they are working great. For what you're looking to do I think it would be a decent option. The adjustable travel would help.