Quantcast

looking for a place to retire

aaronrocker

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Washington State
im in the military and am looking for a place to retire when the time comes(17 years) and was thinking of the washington oregon area. all i ever here is that the riding is amazing, freeride, dj, ect....

but what about living there year round, whats the winter like, whats the cost of living. any info will help

thanks guys

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Just say you moved from California, and you will get a warm reception from PNW locals.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
The coasts are warmer, wetter in the winter, interior is colder and more snow. As for the DH scene, prolly someone else can fill ya in. Spokane ( my location)has a four season climate, Beacon Hill right in town for some sick riding of all kinds, close enough to BC for road trips to Rossland and Nelson, plus lots of singletrack if you are into that. Housing and general cost of living will be less than Seattle or Portland.

You might want to check out Bellingham too.

aaronrocker

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Washington State
im originally from indiana for 18 years until the airforce then i lived in texas and now kansas, trying to get orders to honduras at the moment. what part of teh pnw would you recomend. if it helps out at all i f*cking hate the midwest

LeroyJenkins

Chimp
Feb 17, 2008
Check out the Collville area in the NE corner of WA state. Affordable land, beautiful areas to ride including Jungle Creek & Kettle Crest. Easy proximity to Rossland, Nelson, New Denver, etc.

Overall, there is a lot of diversity in the PNW. It would be beneficial to locate to one area with good ACCESS. There are too many areas to mention in one post (Ashland, Hood River, Bellingham, for example), but here are a few to see the terrain. Bellingham would be highly recommended.

Rossland/Collville Area

Nelson Area

Closer to Seattle. About a 90 minute drive from city center.

Central Washington

2-3 hours from Seattle

Oregon, near Bend.

Central Oregon

Last edited:

3Pin Rider

Chimp
Jul 13, 2007
PNW
im in the military and am looking for a place to retire when the time comes(17 years)
Are you saying that you'll hit your 20 year mark in the service 3 years from now or 17 years from now?

If it's the latter then maybe you should wait to ask this question at least 15 years from now.

Or, why not try to PCS to the area to experience the PNW for yourself? I'm not sure what branch you're in but there are a lot of options for all three services (McChord AFB, Ft. Lewis, Fairchild AFB, Whidbey Island NAS, DCAA, etc...).

Last edited: