Quantcast

Looking for a short travel slopestyle bike

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
This probly seems retarded, I'm in the middle of building up my DJ hardtail, all high end parts, will probly be be in 1800 range.

But I am starting to think I'm going to want a full sus. bike as well to hit the bigger stuff. I'll be going to Whistler 2009 and Northstar a lot. But I still love have an agyle super responsive, non sluggish bike.

So basicly I'm looking for something with around 6" travel, short stays, and slightly steeper head angle then your average DH bike. I also perfer a frame that is simple, without a ton of pivots. And air feels soo much better.

Here are some ones that have appealed to me:

Scott Nitrus Slopestyle

(not sure on availbility)

Corsair Konig: http://www.corsairbikes.com/fly.aspx?layout=bike&taxid=60

Transition Bottlerocket:

If you have any other suggestions please post.

Windowlicker

Monkey
Dec 27, 2007
Santa Cruz
finish your suburban!
haha

i like the scott, it is the only scott i like.
haha
bottlerockets are neat though.
the corsair is one of my dreambikes

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
finish your suburban!
haha

i like the scott, it is the only scott i like.
haha
bottlerockets are neat though.
the corsair is one of my dreambikes
I know lol, all the parts in the mail or backordered tho...

All the bikes are amazing, I have to agree with you thats the only scott that doesn't seem overly built for its use.
The bottlrocket and corsair are the exact same price frame only.

Any other opinions?

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
dude, i stumbled across the corsair konig. it is ridiculously awesome. the bike is super simple. pivots are bombproof. it seems like it is gonna be my new bike in a bit. check it out.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
dude, i stumbled across the corsair konig. it is ridiculously awesome. the bike is super simple. pivots are bombproof. it seems like it is gonna be my new bike in a bit. check it out.
ya I posted a link to it, I'm definatly interested but the Scott nitrous slopestyle seems to appeal to me a lot more.

plus I am not so sure about the adjustability of the headtube angle... it just seems like one more thing that could brake or strip.

steve owens

Chimp
May 22, 2008
Hendersonville,N.C.
The scott looks good, but the bottlerocket would allow full extension of the seatpost.(in case you would want to trail ride it)A friend of mine rides an sx trail. I've had a chance to put some time on both the bottlerocket and the sx trail and they are both extremely capable bikes.Happy hunting.

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
They just took delivery of the Konigs, $1300 for the frame I think. If I wasn't so happy with my splinter MX, Konig is how I'd go.

CraShRyDer7

Monkey
Feb 1, 2008
franklin lakes
the corsair is a great bike i recomend it. but if u want a bike that can still dh. i recomend the bottlerocket, because its geo is great for ss and all that, but will also do great if you have to race it. the scott is also a great bike if u need something easier to get than the corsair, but just something better for strictly ss and jumping

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Thanks for the imput guys, I checked out all the frame you guys mentioned, they all look pretty sick, but I think that I'm still liking the first three I posted a lot.

For some reason I'm not a huge fan of the bottle rocket, I rode my friends and it seemed kinda choppy compared to a lot of other full sus. bikes I have tiried out.

On the Corsair, whats up with the head angle adjustment?

FreshwOOd

Chimp
Jun 28, 2007
Thanks for the imput guys, I checked out all the frame you guys mentioned, they all look pretty sick, but I think that I'm still liking the first three I posted a lot.

For some reason I'm not a huge fan of the bottle rocket, I rode my friends and it seemed kinda choppy compared to a lot of other full sus. bikes I have tiried out.

On the Corsair, whats up with the head angle adjustment?
Hi, this is Doug from Corsair Bikes.

We offer the opportunity to have an adjustable headtube angle on all of our models. First reason is we understand that riders who want a high-performance ride want to be able to dial in their bike perfectly. Second, we think it's easy to offer and that every bike should have this feature. Why not? On top of all this, our headsets, which we include with the frames are really, really good. Among the best out there. Period.

Anyway, as you may have read elsewhere, our Dirt Jump and Slopestyle frames (Ducat and Konig) just arrived this week. You call, we ship.

Doug

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Hi, this is Doug from Corsair Bikes.

We offer the opportunity to have an adjustable headtube angle on all of our models. First reason is we understand that riders who want a high-performance ride want to be able to dial in their bike perfectly. Second, we think it's easy to offer and that every bike should have this feature. Why not? On top of all this, our headsets, which we include with the frames are really, really good. Among the best out there. Period.

Anyway, as you may have read elsewhere, our Dirt Jump and Slopestyle frames (Ducat and Konig) just arrived this week. You call, we ship.

Doug
Thanks for the reply. I am definatly stoked on the Konig frame. is the headtube 1.5? I'm also a bit confused about the HA adjustment; like how does it work exactly?

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Ok well the scott nitrous is 1,578 (or 1000 euro) and 40 bucks for shipping and it doesn't include a rear shock...

but i'm just in love with that frame...

Last edited:

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Add Sinister GRUITR to the list. I had 2 BottleRockets and now have a GRUITR. The GRUITR is a lighter overall, so if you are looking for something more flickable it's works well.

The BR's are great bikes too. Very solid and really good geometry.

What I like about the BR and GRUITR is the full length seattube. If you want a little flexibility from your bike, like use it for some trail rides, you can just raise the seat. If you are just hitting jumps and not pedalling much, then that doesn't really matter tho.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
The BR's are great bikes too. Very solid and really good geometry.

Hey Don, I like mine... :D

For me, the uninterupted seat tube is a must have for the trails I ride. I'm actually amazed at how well it climbs, considering it's designed purpose. Then it just kills on the downhills and jumps so well. It's the most balanced-feeling-in-the-air bike I've ever had the pleasure to ride.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ

For me, the uninterupted seat tube is a must have for the trails I ride. I'm actually amazed at how well it climbs, considering it's designed purpose. Then it just kills on the downhills and jumps so well. It's the most balanced-feeling-in-the-air bike I've ever had the pleasure to ride.
haha, glad it went to a good home! I think I liked the geometry a tic better on that green BR than my GRUITR. Although for it's intended all around use the GRUITR being a couple lbs lighter is nicer on the hills. If I was using it for more jumping and drops I would have stuck with the BR.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Did you talk to Timo to see if you can get a Nitrous Slopestyle frame? You can see that bike in action in Kranked 7 ridden by James Doerfling and Kyle Ebbett.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Did you talk to Timo to see if you can get a Nitrous Slopestyle frame? You can see that bike in action in Kranked 7 ridden by James Doerfling and Kyle Ebbett.
Yea i talked to him. he said he'd hook me up with free shipping and some other goodies. I'm still contemplating wether or not I want to dish out the money though.

Plus I havent ridden on that particular frame at all, just the nitrous.
and your bike looks killer.

MouseMonkey

Monkey
Jul 29, 2006
Salt Lake City
Thanks for the reply. I am definatly stoked on the Konig frame. is the headtube 1.5? I'm also a bit confused about the HA adjustment; like how does it work exactly?
The standard headset (ships with the frames) gives you the straight HA listed on the geometry charts. There is an optional One Degree headset that allows for one degree steeper or one degree slacker HA than the normal headset.

The pinch bolts in the head tube are just to make headset swaps/alignment a little easier (alignment is important with the One Degree headset), the headsets still install in a traditional fashion and fit a 1-1/8" steerer.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
the wildcard looks nice, the linkage in the back kinda turns me off (reminds me of hte konas or whatever), but it looks like you gotta pretty light set up there

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

:stupid:

I'm going to keep my mouth shut, since I havn't ridden anything else being cosidered here, but I sure love my BR.