Quantcast

Looking for a vibration dampening setup

j.les

Monkey
Jul 21, 2007
Chicago
I'm in the process of building up a cyclocross bike as my road/commute bike. I'm looking to find out what fork, bars (must be riser-type), and stem will reduce road chatter the most.

I'm going with a Surly Cross Check because I figure I can run wider tires which will help a bit. A 29er is out of the question, I already have 4 Mtb's; looking for something fast.

My problem is I have 2 ruptured discs in my neck, and my old elbows are shot. The roads around here are terrible as well. Anything to reduce the vibration will help.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Carbon bars are built to be super stiff, and aren't the best at dampening vibration; proper setup of the bike to lessen the load on your back will be key. I would use larger tires at lower pressure to provide cushion and help dampen the road. Your frame/fork are steel and should provide a compliant ride

<edit> read through this thread for some other ideas
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207526

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Are you going with a suspension seat post? There are a still a few good ones out there.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
To help with the tire pressure, I weigh in at 250, With My Diamonte tires I run 95 front and 105 rear. Carbon fork, and a good set of carbon bars will help.

700 by 23 BTW

Last edited:

j.les

Monkey
Jul 21, 2007
Chicago
So does steel absorb more vibration than carbon fiber? If so then I will run the stock fork and possibly a steel 22.2 BMX riser bar. I figure Oury grips will help a bit too.

Thanks for all your help