Quantcast

looking for beach camping

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I'm taking my fiance camping in a few weeks and we want to camp by the beach.

Their are plenty of campsites on the web but most of them seem like they would be pretty packed on a summer weekend. I would really like to find a camp site which is not crowded. I hate camping with Joe 6pac and his barking dog up my a$$.

The only other criteria is that it is within 4 hrs or so of the bay area.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Brian

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Well, this isn't exactly on the beach, but you can see the beach. ANd you would need a 4x4. It is a romantic spot though.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Prewitt Ridge in Big Sur at about 3200 ft elevation. That is Sand Dollar Beach in the background. From Highway 1 it's a 7 mile climb of tight turns and then 5 miles back a dirt road. Most cars could probably handle the road but you'd be better off with something with more clearance and 4x4. It's a bit of an effort to get there with only a few camp spots so no guarantees. But, it sure is nice...

Andrew Molera is my other pick. Forget about anything close to Santa Cruz.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Prewitt Ridge in Big Sur at about 3200 ft elevation. That is Sand Dollar Beach in the background. From Highway 1 it's a 7 mile climb of tight turns and then 5 miles back a dirt road. Most cars could probably handle the road but you'd be better off with something with more clearance and 4x4. It's a bit of an effort to get there with only a few camp spots so no guarantees. But, it sure is nice...

Andrew Molera is my other pick. Forget about anything close to Santa Cruz.
Friggin' gorgeous up there. There is a campground right next to Highway 1 near the road that goes up to the ridge - Kirk Creek I think. It's really great, on a bluff maybe 100 feet over the water, with killer views and all, but it's a "first come" site with rarely any room on weekends. If you go during the week you should definitely check it out.

I did a moto camping trip down there last summer. It was a beautiful day but we got shut out at Kirk Creek, and some jerk-off retiree in an RV basically laughed at us for even thinking about it on such a gorgeous, sunny day. So, we rallied up to the ridge and found a kick-ass spot with better views. About a half hour later, heavy fog rolled in and covered the camp at Kirk Creek, but we were way above it. We had a good laugh basking in the sun and thinking about that cranky RV dude all socked in.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
I forgot about Kirk Creek. yeah, it is amazing when you're above the fog bank.

How about a couple of other teaser shots. Each taken from right where you would pitch a tent.

...and some perspective. Highway 1 in the background with the road up on the far ridge and the dirt road going further down prewitt.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Kick a$$. Pm me some directions if you don't wanna give away the details. Not that their are all that many people on this forum.

I plan on taking friday off so I can stake out a spot before the weekend folks show up.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Kick a$$. Pm me some directions if you don't wanna give away the details. Not that their are all that many people on this forum.

I plan on taking friday off so I can stake out a spot before the weekend folks show up.
You can find the Kirk Creek campground with a Google search. Go as early as you can on Friday and you should get a spot, but no guarantees. The Nacimiento-Furgeson road that takes you up to the ridge is pretty much right across the street. There is another campground down Rt. 1 a bit - Plaskett Creek I think - it's nice and tucked in the redwoods but it's not on the ocean side.

Make sure you bring some bug stuff in case you end up on the ridge, especially for the morning. We camped without tents and got sort of swarmed when the sun came up.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
^^What Ripper said. If you do go to the ridge, take Nacimiento-Furgeson to the top (7 miles) and you'll see well-marked dirt roads to the left and right. Go right and it's about 5 miles back. It is primitive so nothing back there except a table and fire pit and maybe 5-7 camp spots.