Quantcast

Looking for Fork advice, I'm out of the loop!

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
I need a fork for my demo.

I was originally looking at a Boxxer Team/R2C2 or a Fox 40 but I've had some friends advise me that Marzocchi has fixed their issues and is back on track with the current 888's.

I'm not overly concerned with weights.

Are the current Fox 40's still too linear. bottoming too easy? I'm 210 lbs without gear.

I read some negative reviews on the new boxxer's being sticky and not getting full travel. In short were the technical issues worked out? Do they still need the seals replaced frequently?

I know you guys don't like these threads as it seems like there's one similar to this all the time, but I'm not finding the definitive answers I'm looking for from experienced monkeys! I use to keep up with this enough to know the general consensus but like I said I'm out of the loop!

thanks for any advice, I have done some reading but not enough to really get a feel for all of this. I haven't been riding much at all lately and am completely out of the loop.

alexhill

Chimp
Apr 19, 2010
The 2011 40's look awesome if that counts? ;)

Are you concerned about price? BOS is worth a very good look at.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
i am 215# on a 2010 40, and really pleased with the more progressive ride compared to the 2008 and earlier versions. super stoked on how it is riding for me.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm a lot lighter than you and have had no problems getting full travel out of my 2010 Boxxer Team. I'm happy with it, and it's way cheaper than a 40. Everyone I know with one of the new 888s has raved about it, but I haven't really ridden one.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I need a fork for my demo.

I was originally looking at a Boxxer Team/R2C2 or a Fox 40 but I've had some friends advise me that Marzocchi has fixed their issues and is back on track with the current 888's.

I'm not overly concerned with weights.

Are the current Fox 40's still too linear. bottoming too easy? I'm 210 lbs without gear.

I read some negative reviews on the new boxxer's being sticky and not getting full travel. In short were the technical issues worked out? Do they still need the seals replaced frequently?

I know you guys don't like these threads as it seems like there's one similar to this all the time, but I'm not finding the definitive answers I'm looking for from experienced monkeys! I use to keep up with this enough to know the general consensus but like I said I'm out of the loop!

thanks for any advice, I have done some reading but not enough to really get a feel for all of this. I haven't been riding much at all lately and am completely out of the loop.
The new 40's (post-2008) have a much more progressive feel to them vs. the the first 3 years of production, however they are arguably still a bit more linear than say, a 2010 Boxxer.

The 2010 Boxxers DO have stiction issues but the rebound issues have been sorted via rolling changes to product on the production line.

As for Marz (and being a former Marz guy myself) I have not had the chance to commune with their new 2010 888's but it truely does seem that they have resolved issues plaguing their 2008-2009 product line. The shim stacks and internals are user-serviceable and tuneable and I'm pretty sure they have gone back to using NOK dust wiper seals. Put it this way: If the guys on the CRC/Intense World Cup Team (Matti Lehikoinen, Chris Kovarik, to name a few...) want to use them for racing - Marz must be doing SOMETHING right. :)

For durability and low-maintanence - I'd say Marz (this is an evaluation that goes back to the old 2005-2007 models - I'm making the assumption that the 2010 gear posses these traits). I have no idea how the new 2010 888's are in a race scenario, but time will tell - clearly Marz has geared the new 2010 888 line up toward WC tracks and DH racing. The old standbys for a full-on race fork the past couple of years have been either the Boxxer or the 40. You can't go wrong with either, but I would steer clear of the 2010 Boxxer and go with a 2011 Boxxer. Both are (relatively) lightweight - esp. the Boxxer WC, BUT are pretty expensive. The new 2011 Kashi-coat Fox40 has an MSRP of around $1600... not cheap - but it's a great fork for the hardcore racer.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
SKC - if he can get a later model of 2010 boxxer he will be fine, maybe except for a little service. After riding zoke for 2.5 seasons Im really happy with my 2010 WC, no OMGBBQ teh fork is amazing but I always wanted the fork to feel stable, not be insanely plush so that may be the reason. Id get it over the marz, fox not sure. Dorado alu? Bos?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The 2010 Zoke stuff is REALLY solid. They are legitimately back to their old ways of being the most durable and maintenance free forks out there.