Quantcast

Looking for fun to ride anywhere frame.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Thought I would put this in the DH forum everyone here would understand more of where I'm comming from.

I'm looking for a frame to replace my XC frame, but XC geometry is no fun to ride. I'm on the hunt for something lighter that I can ride all day (including climbing), with a little more slack HA, low bottom bracket and short CS. Lastly, it would be rad if it were cheap.

Some frames I'm currently looking at are:

Blur 4x - an obvious choice, but $$
Kona CoilAir - has the most dh-ish geometry of a smaller bike
Jamis XLT - 68.5 HA, low bb and short cs, and the '05s are nice and cheap.
Used Trek Liquid 55 - Rode one previously and is sort of what got me looking for bikes like this.

What else is out there that I could be missing?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Specialized Enduro, one of the older generations?

What about a nice hardtail?

Maybe a Morewood Ndiza 4X or Specialized SX?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Oh, older enduro is a good call. They just seem to be hard to find. I think the SX would be approaching the heavier side of things wouldn't it?

Hardtail is out of the picture to save knees and ankles. I want to be able to be lazy and sit and pedal over rough stuff.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I'm looking for a frame to replace my XC frame, but XC geometry is no fun to ride. I'm on the hunt for something lighter that I can ride all day (including climbing), with a little more slack HA, low bottom bracket and short CS.
Heckler.....for long epics you need to look at the seat tube angle, the a steeper seat tube angle takes alot of stress off you lower back and lower back is what goes first on long xc rides....don't get too slack in the head angle either, tech climbing won' be as fun.....the geo numbers don't tell the whole story.

Heckler all the way IMO.
Heckler can be abused and trashed along the way too.

jhhubb

Chimp
Apr 19, 2006
the all mighty 303
Loved my Jamis, though chainstays can be easy to break. Luckily Jamis knows this and it is equally easy to get a replacement (under warranty usually).

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
The SX is imo one of the most perfect bikes for your description. I had one for over a year now and it is by far one of the most fun bikes I've ever had. Coming from a slew of xc frames, the slacker head angle and more aggressive geometry of the sx made trailriding fun again. It is a true do-it-all bike.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
another bike is the Stumpjumper FSR.....i've never ridden one but it looks like a Slalom xc bike to me.....seem to hold up well enough too....

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Intense 6.6 my buddy just got one and it is amazing what can be done on that thing. Pricy though.

Cove Hustler. 5.5" travel, 67.5deg headtube, a reasonable weight and some good old durability.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
MKIII seems interesting. The specs say it's got a 69 deg HA which is just past my limit of how steep I would want mine to be. Who has ridden one? Is it XC twitchy and scary to decend steep stuff on?

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
MKIII seems interesting. The specs say it's got a 69 deg HA which is just past my limit of how steep I would want mine to be. Who has ridden one? Is it XC twitchy and scary to decend steep stuff on?
No Its not steep imo. I have ridden loads of DH courses on my one including ft bill in scotland. The only time it feels twitchy is because I have crazy light wheels on it.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The MKIII is a good option, as is the Stumpjumper. In its 5" form the new Stumpjumpers are awesome. I had to sell mine because I have really long legs, so I need a short-ish bike for my 6' stance. The seattube on the medium I had was really short though, so I couldn't get the seat up to a pedal-able height without having it rape me on the decents. However, with the seat down, the thing railed.

Older Enduros seriously feel like mini-DH bikes. I wish I could find one, I'd totally rock it.

Maybe a used Reign?

I rode a Trance on some rocky, scary fireroads and the thing was sick until I high-sided drifting it. It's definately XC-feeling but it's good for what it is.

EDIT: The Bottlerocket's nice, but even the large has a small seat-tube so if you've got long legs it might not work out too well.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Heckler.....for long epics you need to look at the seat tube angle, the a steeper seat tube angle takes alot of stress off you lower back and lower back is what goes first on long xc rides....don't get too slack in the head angle either, tech climbing won' be as fun.....the geo numbers don't tell the whole story.

Heckler all the way IMO.
Heckler can be abused and trashed along the way too.
I'm biased toward SCB but I totally agree with this. I rode the last gen for a few years and got a new one not too long ago (with a DHX air and Pike 454). Friggin' awesome. Super comfortable on epic trail rides, simple to maintain, relatively light, not too pricey, and a bit more relaxed than typical XC geo so it rips the light DH. When I do the Downieville DH all I change is the rear tire, otherwise my usual trail set up is perfect.

The blur 4x is a good call too, but it's heavier, slacker and lower than I'd want on any "all day" ride.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I LOVE my Mk to death - probably my favorite bike of all time. recently upgraded to the new 07 Mk since it's lighter, slacker and a bit more refined (e.g. new links, more rear tire clearance, etc..). I ran my 06 with a BETD reducer and lower Chris king cup – the head angle was perfect…not too slack and not too steep. I’d say my 06 is around 69.5 or 68 degree...

If you get one of the new 07 Mk’s I wouldn’t worry much about the head angle – with a 140mm fork like the pike – it will be dialed. Then if you decide you want a slacker head angle, you can always get a BETD cup like me or another option soon will be an Enduro Lower cup: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=281305&page=3

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Reign X is a little big (as in travel and weight) for what I'm looking for. What about your trance? That one looks fun, what's the head angle on that thing?
I love that bike!!!!! Its everything I wanted in a ALL Mt bike. The HA is around 68esh with the 5.5' fork on it. I can change the HA by changing the travel on the fork. Its my mini DHer. You can ask anyone that rides with me. I put that bike to the test alot!!!!

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Try to track down a Sinister Splinter ER. The MX is the beefier version and is not in production, but the ER is still going. It is a crazy sick bike that can handle pretty much anything you dish out from all day epics to aggro trail/ light FR / as "all mountain"-as-you-want-to-be stuff. One of those with a Pike would be an awfully difficult combo to beat.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
One of the new enduro SLs.

If you think the 6" enduros of last year were good, prepared for the same descending feel but without squatting on climbs.

Those bikes are badass. I'd be getting one if specialized hadn't already sold out of them. They're in shops though.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Ok, did some digging today when I was at work. It looks like the main players I'm looking at now are:

IH MKIII

Giant Trance - forgot about that one, thanks FC!

Older Specialized Enduro

Santa Cruz Heckler

Santa Cruz 4x - still haven't got to ride one in person, but I'd really like to

Cannondale Prophet - I like the idea of being able to change the HA with out too much of a big deal.

Kona CoilAir - Still like the geo on this, anyone know how heavy they are?

Older Trek Liquid - just because the one I rode was so much fun.

I'm leaving out stuff like the covert and the new enduro simply because they're more money than I would want to spend new and I doubt I'll be able to find one used.

Help me eliminate some!!!

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I love that bike!!!!! Its everything I wanted in a ALL Mt bike. The HA is around 68esh with the 5.5' fork on it. I can change the HA by changing the travel on the fork. Its my mini DHer. You can ask anyone that rides with me. I put that bike to the test alot!!!!
How tall are you? What size frame did you get?

I'm 6'4" and want something small enough to throw around but not so small that I can't comfortably put the seat up and climb all day..

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
wasnt always a sponsored rider and didnt always get bikes for free but have ridden and sold(still work at a shop for a living) most of the bikes on that list and for the area he is talking about and price he is looking both would be good options...

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
Go HARD TAIL! Chameleon, Vagrant, Ridge, looki (soulcycles) or even a Steelhead if $ are an issue.