Quantcast

Looking for info on Scott Voltage FRs

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I'm trying to find some info on the Voltage FR but the dealer near me has been less then helpful and I've gotten no responses on the MTBR Scott board. Can anyone that's owned one of these things help me out?

I'm looking to replace my AM and DH bikes with a single bike. Currently I have a 170mm AM bike and a DH bike. I use the AM bike for all non-lift (2-3k ft climbing) riding, and the DH bike comes out for ski resort days. However, when I go on road trips I'm usually limited to one bike which causes a dilemma. The past couple of trips I've put a dropper post, light tires and low gearing on my DH bike for trail oriented days and it hasn't worked out all that well (climbing position sucks for long days in the saddle, and I kill the tires). Previous to that I'd have a similar issue trying to turn the AM bike into a DH bike - the main problem being the BB would get too high and it's head tube makes adjustable headsets (which would solve the BB issue) a challenge. I can get around that by swapping to a fixed angle set, but doing that mid-trip is a PITA.

I was thinking of picking up a Voltage and two, possibly three shocks, while running 3 separate forks. From what I've read I think the 200FR/180RR setup will be fine for DH days, but it's the AM setup I'm concerned about. The official specs show a 73 degree seat tube angle, but pics I've seen make it appear slacker. What kind of climbing position and BB height can I expect with a 160/160 setup and a -1.5 angleset (I'd like to run a VP Varial)? The same basic question applies for a 140FR/130RR setup; does the 130mm option still exist on the newer models?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I´ve had a scott voltage FR.
And also a Scott Gambler; and currently a carbon Genius LT (a bit of a scott whore, i know).

Having said that; the voltage is not a bike made for pedalling. its a mini dh bike, with a slack geometry, and a shorter (and more playful) suspension.

I´d recommend you to test the genius LT. 66deg head angle is awesome for the descents... the twin-loc is awesome, climbing with the bike in the short travel position, it climbs really, really good. like a xc bike.
only downside is the suspension damping, which is somewhat basic (while adecuate). might bother you a bit, if you are coming from a double barrel or a custom-tuned shock.

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Alexis - when you say it's not meant for pedaling, do you mean due to weight, suspension or geometry? The only one that would concern me is geo. I'm trying to find a DH bike that can be pressed into being an AM bike if it needs to, rather then the other way around. So something that can run forks from 160mm-200mm and have a seat tube angle in the ~72 degree range. For example, I'd planned on buying a Canfield One, but they've stopped making them.

Nauc - while many people like them, I'm not a fan of the Nomad's short/tall geometry, and it's the same type of bike as my Reign X (AM bike vs DH/FR/AM bike).

Last edited:

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I had a Voltage FR for a season or two. It was my DH/park bike, and didn't see any trail use, but I can't imagine it would have been much fun to pedal uphill. I didn't realize the seat angle was 73, because it sure seemed a lot slacker than that, and the seat tube is so short you'd have to run a ton of seatpost. Definietly wouldn't be my choice for a do it all bike.

On the DH side, it was fine, but I didn't realize how flexy the thing was until I got my TR450. made the Voltage feel like a noodle.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Why not look into a Enduro Evo or Enduro 29? There's a couple guys(ok atleast 1) on here that traded their DH and XC bike in for one.
That's a good choice. Unless you sleep on cash than go for that carbon BMC.

Banshee rune v2 seems like a good option since it is pretty damn burly if you want to keep your 26'' wheels but want to try 27.5 soon

Josef

Monkey
Apr 17, 2013
The Enduro Evo sounds like exactly what you are looking for. I used to own a Voltage with the same idea that you had. As with most hybrid or tweener items it didnt really perform either task great. It definitely left a lot to be desired as both a DH and AM bike.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Thanks guys. The seat tube angle is my #1 concern, sounds like it's slacker then advertised - so the Voltage is out. I test rode the Enduro EVO, it still felt more like an AM/Trail bike to me, and I'm pretty sure a dual crown will void the warranty. I'll be picking up a 140mm bike for all-around riding, hence the focus on basically a DH bike that can climb when it has to. The Canfield One would have been perfect if they were still making it. Hopefully the Banshee Darkside fills that void.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Alexis - when you say it's not meant for pedaling, do you mean due to weight, suspension or geometry? The only one that would concern me is geo. I'm trying to find a DH bike that can be pressed into being an AM bike if it needs to, rather then the other way around. So something that can run forks from 160mm-200mm and have a seat tube angle in the ~72 degree range. For example, I'd planned on buying a Canfield One, but they've stopped making them.

Nauc - while many people like them, I'm not a fan of the Nomad's short/tall geometry, and it's the same type of bike as my Reign X (AM bike vs DH/FR/AM bike).
its the geo.

if you want a "DH-ish" bike, that can be forged into an AM bike... then the voltage would not be that bad. (although, i dont think turning a dh-ish bike into an AM bike is ideal).
its a very playful bike; but its VERY flexy.

I´d recommend you to look at a genius LT; and play the with shock pressures.
I run 40% sag when downhilling/shuttling.... and the bike is 95% of a downhill bike. it gets REALLY slack. (64-65ish dynamic headtube angle)

for long enduro rides... i run 30% sag in the short travel setting... and it feels like a complete different bike.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
For anyone interested, here are the numbers for a medium Banshee Darkside:

medium frame
reach - stack, ETT, HTL, STL
410 - 602, 597, 125, 395
72.5 degree seat angle :)

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
I picked up a Voltage a couple years back and used it for some pedally XC/"Enduro"/"Trail" rides. It was ok, but with an 11-36 cassette and a 34t ring, the gearing wasn't low enough for me on big climbs, and a 410mm post was too short for even decent leg extension with a ~31" inseam. Without the rear sagging out, the seat tube angle did feel slack.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
For anyone interested, here are the numbers for a medium Banshee Darkside:

medium frame
reach - stack, ETT, HTL, STL
410 - 602, 597, 125, 395
72.5 degree seat angle :)
Write to them as they are very friendly at banshee. I've seen them hinting at 650b.

Also why dual crown? Something like a 170mm 55 rc3 evo wouldn't be enough?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Write to them as they are very friendly at banshee. I've seen them hinting at 650b.

Also why dual crown? Something like a 170mm 55 rc3 evo wouldn't be enough?
The resorts near me are both extremely rocky - Northstar and Mammoth. I've ridden both with a 160mm fork (and even a 130mm fork years ago), and you just can't go anywhere near the same speed on some of the trails.

Pic isn't mine, but gives you an idea of the terrain -

Last edited:

ButtersNZ

Monkey
Jun 6, 2013
I rode an FR30 for DH duty (Boxxers, -1.5 angleset, long drop outs, 200mm rear linkage) for 2 years until I cracked the head tube weld. Looks like you've already decided against a Voltage but I urge you to check out this PB Voltage megathread http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=81521 and ask a few of the people there who run the Voltage as an all-around bike.

The guy who said the bike is as flexy as a noodle is right. Didn't realise just how much until I upgraded to a new Glory. Also, I'm 6' 2" and rode a long frame. It was more of a medium. If you're around my height, consider that it may be too small for you.

I wouldn't buy another one for DH, but a light AM build would be pretty fun. Some people have gotten them down to 28 lbs for light DH - http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/8273206/

Last edited: