Quantcast

Looking for input on races/festivals....what do you want to see?

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Okay, we are wanting to do something new here at Snowshoe, but we are looking to do something that is going to go over well with area riders. Here's your chance to give your $0.02 on what you would like to see in the coming weeks, months, years at Snowshoe. If you have any race, festival, party, etc ideas let us hear them.......we want your input. I'm also open to suggestion in terms of features for the bike park. Ideas and comments (both the good and the bad) are greatly appreciated and valued, flames and immature complaints aren't what I am asking for.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Wet T-shirt contests- pouring ice cold pitchers of water on cotton-wrapped hotties would certainly help to coax racers and spectators alike into staying for the results/awards presentations. Encouraging people to stay later would help to increase food and drink revenues, and those partaking of too much drink often need rooms...

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
llkoolkeg said:
Wet T-shirt contests
For Snowshoe, wouldn't mud wrestling contests be more apropos ;) :D

As far as this site goes, it would be fun to hold a regional Ridemonkey gathering at Snowshoe. Cook-outs always seem to go over well. How late in the fall will the bike park remain open? Late enough to do something in conjunction with Oktoberfest? :)

Other things that come to mind - will the trails in the park eventually have names? Everyone I've talked to seems to think some trail names are in order to spice things up a little from the bland Trail A, B, C, etc... designations. Also, better signage on the DH course side of the mountain would be helpful. Stiff mentioned to me that he met some recreational riders last weekend who got in way over their heads on the PRO DH course because they got lost.

Thanks again for soliciting rider input :thumb:. We all appreciate it! I'll be back ASAP to ride after visiting your big brother resort in BC :D.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Video Premiers!!!!!!

North Shore Ripper Style Races!! You have a really nice set up to make something like that happen, if youd don't know what i'm talkin about, it works a lil something like.......

"Route Challenge format. There are several lines on the trail that require a high level of skill - an example would be the U-Turn, a long log ride that doubles back on itself. Riders choosing these lines will receive a time bonus that is greater than the time difference between the hard line and the easy line. Ride the burly lines and you'll lower your time. If you want to ride it as a DH then rip the lines that go straight through."

http://www.nsmb.com/community/ripper_02_04.php

http://www.nsmb.com/community/ripper2wrap_04_04.php

http://www.nsmb.com/community/ripper3wrap_06_04.php

as for the trails, please give these trails some names, stunt names would be cool too!!! A,B,C,D,E, blah blah blah

more trails with flow, where you can really carry speed through the trails with berms, jumps, drops so on, things that don't necessarily slow you down but offer lots of flow and high fun factor!

More Drops with Trannies! you can't have enough!! more Berms!!! can't be enough of those either!!

thanks for asking how we feel and what we want!! see yall soon!!

edit: how about a wallride? Triple Teeters? Teeters to drops? Swivel Teeters? double,triple drop stunts?

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Hahaha, I'm game for the wet t-shirt/mud wrestling........don't know how well it would go over with the big wigs, but I like it!

Trail names are coming, the signs are being printed as we speak. They were ordered a good while ago, but I guess it's taken long than we expected. A monkey gathering would be awesome and something that would be easy enough. I will definitely pursue that one. Signage on the western side, will bring that up and get it taken care of ASAP.

Racing series, we are working on it. I'm hoping to make it a creative racing series to........different trails, types of races, etc. I'll keep you posted on that one as it all develops.

Thanks for the input!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Stripper poles (with stripper of course) at the finishing line with a complimentary lapdance for winners in their class! ;)

How about music? It seems like the tunes from a live band would be sweet (near the event to keep the crowd where the action is). Reggae, punk, death metal. As long as it ain't top 40 people would be stoked!

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Castle, I've been working on getting something like the "Ripper" together. It won't happen this year, as I would like to be able to route it down a 100% complete trail and that won't be ready this summer. More features are coming......we are actually opening a new feature this weekend most likely, it's 3 huge banked turns (9' tall, more like wallrides) in the berms of the H trail, just before the racers edge stuff. Signs and names are getting printed as we speak, it's just taken long to get the signs then we had expected.

More trails are coming for sure, it just takes time when it's only four to six of us cutting, clearing, building, and grooming the trail from start to finish.

Video premiers, I like it!

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
If you want a festival atmosphere, I have thought that having bands play at MTB events, especially DH, would be cool. The problem is the riff-raff that they might atract. Theft could be a problem. So then maybe a bike-valet beer garden. There is a ribs place outside of Boston (Red Bones) that has a bike valet and it has been hugely popular for them.
The only trail that I have ridden there are the expert, sport, and super d courses from the last 2 years so I can't comment on the construction of the regular trails.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I agree with Repack. This summer's Snowshoe being my first national I totally expected more of a festival atmosphere. Music, bands, product demos, etc. But night time was dead and we amused ourselves by shooting fireworks at each other.

I would like to see an expert/pro course that really requires people to step up there skill. Things with tough sections that might have time savings for those who have the skill to hit them, but cost those who can't.

Cookouts and music would be my first suggestions. And oh yeah, move the racing to later in the summer when you don't get so much rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yep. Gimme burgers, beer, bikes and music and Ill be a regular. Hell. I may move in.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Going off of what I said earlier, offering to sell racers burger/beer/food tokens at a reduced (sane) price would also help. Or do something similar with bracelets or whatever. Maybe try to sell lift/lodging/food packages. I am amazed that none of the mountains around New England with life serviced riding do anything to advertise how cheap it is for a group to split a condo. I am thinking of Sunday River in particular. Summer rates on a ~8 person condo was like $30 for two nights per person. People were always bitching that there was no place to stay b/c they always assumed that mountain accomidations would be expensive.
Stuff like this would boost support for the venue with the group that matters most.
I think that an outdoor, more casual environment would be much better than trying to direct people to a regular bar. Bars are oldschool and everywhere. Outdoor BBQ pits, beer, bands, beer, BBQ, and BEER would atract MTBers like flies.
One last thing- It amazes me that no mountains advertise here. How focused a marketing demographic do you guys want?!?!?

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Repack said:
Going off of what I said earlier, offering to sell racers burger/beer/food tokens at a reduced (sane) price would also help. Or do something similar with bracelets or whatever. Maybe try to sell lift/lodging/food packages.
I hear ya! We did this for our opening weekend on Memorial Day weekend and it worked out pretty well. If we build an entire weekend around a race or festival, it's entirely possible to do something like this.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Repack said:
One last thing- It amazes me that no mountains advertise here. How focused a marketing demographic do you guys want?!?!?
Great idea, it's something I will mention to the director here. We haven't done so as of yet because one reason, the monies we spent on magazine advertisment came from a state marketing grant. The requirements of that grant specify exactly what it can and can't be in, which is why it only appeared in magazines. All the allocated funds from the grant had to be used for print media, which really limited what and where we could advertise.

Now that we have rolled into a new fiscal year, we can likely do something like this rather easily. Awesome idea.........see, things that are coming up here is exactly what I wanted to hear.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Hulkamaniac said:
Great idea, it's something I will mention to the director here.......
Wow. I am surprised that the idea didn't come up already. I here a lot of good talk about mountains like Attitash, Bromont, and Diablo. But until recently, had not seen a single picture or video clip. I raced Attitash back in the day, but know nothing of their current new trail system, other than anonimous internet reviews saying that its great. Are the posters beginners? Pros? I need to see pictures and video before I spend a bunch of money on a weekend trip! Maybe an admin could chime in on what it costs to advertise here? Probably private info, but I'm willing to bet that its a heck of a lot cheaper than print ads, and that the return will be much better.

Anyway, advertising would be cool. If I saw the banner, I would click on it and check it out. I know every mountain has a website, but I never remember to look any of them up.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Fire the entire foxfire staff and rehire...they sucked when i was there. Anyway bands are key, music that riders like. I think if you get jeff with kona back down there doing demos on the stinkys that would be great as well. He reps for the shop i used to work at and is killer for exposure. If there are available freeride bikes for demo it might convince non freeride oriented types to go hit the trails. While im on that topic does anyone feel that the rental rates are way $$$ at the bike shop...just a thought. Hulk, do you have any pics you can post of the new stuff (wallrides), I have been down twice and am thinking about coming down in a couple of weekends.

WhiteVten

Chimp
Apr 15, 2004
Atl
Trails, trails and more trails.

How about a race series that offers a different expert course for every race. This should ring a bell to Northeasterners (Platte). Doing this will gaurantee you end up with what we desire most...long, tech, fun trails. You have so much area but make such little use of it.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
just remembered a trail feature I haven't seen yet, a nice Rock Face/steep roller typa thing!!!!!

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Castle said:
just remembered a trail feature I haven't seen yet, a nice Rock Face/steep roller typa thing!!!!!
Good call...kinda like the rocket at Wintergreen (RIP :rolleyes: :dead: )

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
DamienC said:
Good call...kinda like the rocket at Wintergreen (RIP :rolleyes: :dead: )

good times!! :thumb: it's a shame, everytime I think about it..... :think:

btw. all I'm waiting on is my fork!! cutting it way too close!!!! :angry:

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Fire the entire foxfire staff and rehire...they sucked when i was there. Anyway bands are key, music that riders like. I think if you get jeff with kona back down there doing demos on the stinkys that would be great as well. He reps for the shop i used to work at and is killer for exposure. If there are available freeride bikes for demo it might convince non freeride oriented types to go hit the trails. While im on that topic does anyone feel that the rental rates are way $$$ at the bike shop...just a thought. Hulk, do you have any pics you can post of the new stuff (wallrides), I have been down twice and am thinking about coming down in a couple of weekends.
Unfortunately, the FoxFire Grille is not owned by Snowshoe, rather the space is leased out and the restaurant is run by a pretty well known owner. What they do and don't do isn't something Snowshoe really controls.

Jeff will definitely be back down a lot this summer. He loves the place and is more than willing to make it down whenever he can.

Rental bike prices are set to be in line with other resorts rental prices. I have no say or control over the bike shop, but I understand the prices and how one can justify them (got to cover costs/repairs). To rent a regular full suspension Kona is pretty cheap, even the Stinky's rent for cheap, but the big rigs obviously require a higher price and it's pretty much standard for all resorts that rent bikes. I'll mention it, but I wouldn't expect prices to move much.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
WhiteVten said:
Trails, trails and more trails.

How about a race series that offers a different expert course for every race. This should ring a bell to Northeasterners (Platte). Doing this will gaurantee you end up with what we desire most...long, tech, fun trails. You have so much area but make such little use of it.
This is what we are moving to, but it takes a good amount of time to plan, cut, and ride in trails. I think everyone knows what happens when you cut a new trail for the race and don't allow it to ride in! We are going to be cutting a lot of new dh trails on the Western Territory side, which will one day allow us to connect several different trails making one amazing dh race course. Of course, this will also allow for a wide array of trail possibilities in just one run. It's coming, but again it takes time and there are only a few of us doing this and it's not our day job (majority of us make our living working 45+ hours in other departments, so this is all volunteer/spare time stuff for us).

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Hulkamaniac said:
Unfortunately, the FoxFire Grille is not owned by Snowshoe, rather the space is leased out and the restaurant is run by a pretty well known owner. What they do and don't do isn't something Snowshoe really controls.

Jeff will definitely be back down a lot this summer. He loves the place and is more than willing to make it down whenever he can.

Rental bike prices are set to be in line with other resorts rental prices. I have no say or control over the bike shop, but I understand the prices and how one can justify them (got to cover costs/repairs). To rent a regular full suspension Kona is pretty cheap, even the Stinky's rent for cheap, but the big rigs obviously require a higher price and it's pretty much standard for all resorts that rent bikes. I'll mention it, but I wouldn't expect prices to move much.

Yeah man I understand doing a killer job though with everything keep it up! :thumb:

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Yeah man I understand doing a killer job though with everything keep it up! :thumb:

I agree. Hulh, you and the rest of the crew have done a super great job so far. It is easy to forget that you have real jobs and responsibilities also.

Thanks for all that you have done :thumb: (and still doing)