Quantcast

looking for LOW resistance tires

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Hi,

I know this is a little early, but I want to take care of this sooner rather than later. I'm doing a small mountain bike triathalon in April and need quicker tires than what I already have. The "mountain" course consists of 10 miles, approx 4 miles on asphalt and 6 on smooth fireroads. The requirements: a 26" tire (duh) and it must be a knobby. I was thinking of running a maxxis larsen tt on the back and a mutano 2.4 on the front. Thoughts? Thanks for your help in advance.

Andrew

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Hutchinson Pythons roll VERY fast, though they do get sketchy at times. I prefer the Michelin Comp S Light for racing, myself.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
For that, a Python sounds like it would work perfectly. However, you might even be able to get away with a semislick...

nTek

Chimp
Jan 15, 2005
I am using Maxxis Larsen TT 2.0 for urban and trails as well and this is the only tire set i had that can handle it both. Awesome product, go for it. And the 2.0 has more air volume than any 2.1 tire i've seen so the ride quality is good :)

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
reflux said:
The "mountain" course consists of 10 miles, approx 4 miles on asphalt and 6 on smooth fireroads.
So why do you need such fat tire? On a sprint course like that, if you MUST go with knobs - why not something like Conti Twisters, in a 1.95 - light, and very low RR. IRC Notos is the same general idea.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
xbluethunderx said:
For that, a Python sounds like it would work perfectly. However, you might even be able to get away with a semislick...
I was thinking about using a semislick, but I don't know how strict the knobby tire rule is enforced. I'd rather err on the side of caution and run a fast "knobby."

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Mackie said:
So why do you need such fat tire? On a sprint course like that, if you MUST go with knobs - why not something like Conti Twisters, in a 1.95 - light, and very low RR. IRC Notos is the same general idea.
The mutano 2.4 is a big volume, but small knob tire. It's been fast enough for a trail bike in the past... Thanks for the suggestions, I'll go check out the conti and irc.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I was going to say Python as well. It is a knobby tire, just not a high-profile knob...it's not even a semi-slick like a Micchie Jet S or something. It's fully knobbed and a great SoCal hardpack XC tire.

Continental Twister pro or the like might be a good idea...but you can probably get the pythons pretty cheaply, too...

(Oh, looks like I was beaten to the punch...but there's another endorsement...)

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
The Toninator said:
Mimo front TT rear OR i'm going to try out some fast freds
i still have the TT you gave me/ threw away at Rocky Hill. poor thing is bald, with about 6 tears in the sidewall.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have a set of Fast Freds and they are the fastest I have ever used - I have run them on fire roads and hardpack at seventy PSI. Scary fast with no grip but for your purpose... :thumb:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Serial Midget said:
I have a set of Fast Freds and they are the fastest I have ever used - I have run them on fire roads and hardpack at seventy PSI. Scary fast with no grip but for your purpose... :thumb:
hey which ones are you using 2O's or the 2.24(?)

good for total rocky ground but loose on dirt over hard pack?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The Toninator said:
hey which ones are you using 2O's or the 2.24(?)

good for total rocky ground but loose on dirt over hard pack?
I am using 2O's and I think they would be fine for dry conditions with a some loose dirt like a fire road or hardpack trail. I would not use them on technical trails or in wet conditions over rocks and roots. Fine for wet pavement...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
reflux said:
Hi,

I know this is a little early, but I want to take care of this sooner rather than later. I'm doing a small mountain bike triathalon in April and need quicker tires than what I already have. The "mountain" course consists of 10 miles, approx 4 miles on asphalt and 6 on smooth fireroads. The requirements: a 26" tire (duh) and it must be a knobby. I was thinking of running a maxxis larsen tt on the back and a mutano 2.4 on the front. Thoughts? Thanks for your help in advance.

Andrew
My friend ran a pair of Conti Twister Pros for an outdoor duathlon. They have the tiniest of knobs and the come in a 1.9 width. They even make a super light version which weighs 370g (!).

They are totally useless in the mud (as my friend found out after he rode on them for the whole summer), but I think there is nothing faster for the hardpack/asphalt.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I vote for Kenda Karma DTC much faster than python ime from racing with both. However, I've never had a flat with a python, tubed or with stans. With Karmas I have had the sidewalls tear with stans but not with a tube in....

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
JMAC said:
I vote for Kenda Karma DTC much faster than python ime from racing with both. However, I've never had a flat with a python, tubed or with stans. With Karmas I have had the sidewalls tear with stans but not with a tube in....

I've managed to tear sidewalls in both of those, both were Stan-itized, then I stopped trying to cheat the system and am now using a UST tire.

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
Pythons would be your best bet, as they are good tires, cheap, low rolling resistance and light weight. If I was doing the race you are describing I'd run a python in the front and a Specialized Mt Baldy in the back- it's a nice semislick with decent cornering knobs.

Softy

Monkey
Apr 22, 2003
Don't call it a come back
Intense System 1 in 2.0. Very fat and fast. It holds a Stans conversion nicely for extra fast rolling.

Sorry but IMO the Larsen TT's are too heavy to even consider on a race ride.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I woud look into Kenda Karma DTC tires in the 2.0 size...they're are extremely light (480 grams)and roll very fast....D

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Awesome! Thanks for the help and suggestions. I'll have to head down to an LBS whenever I get the free time. On the topic, for anyone in the OC, who has a decent selection of stuff? The Path is cool, but they don't have much in the way of xc stuff...

Aug 27, 2004
also a tire that i have used and performed in all of the best conditions that i will only use now...is the nokian NBX Lite.
it is a light tire, a very fast tire, has good cornering, great rolling resistance...better than some in the mud!
man! its awsome, i would highley recommend this!
peace

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
MtnbikeMike said:
I've managed to tear sidewalls in both of those, both were Stan-itized, then I stopped trying to cheat the system and am now using a UST tire.
Yeah stands really isn;t that great in NON ust tires. You really can;t get away from the fact they simply ment to have tubes in them.LOL

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The Toninator said:
man i just got my fast fred lites in and boy are they lite. i dont thing their going to hold up to really rocky terrain well.
Yep - I consider them a single race endurance tire, get fresh ones for each race and pack the old ones for spares.

That said - I have ridden them 100 miles plus on fire roads paved with 3/4" blast and had ZERO problems, no slices or undue wear. Our firle roads hear are not dirt - too much rain so they are 100% blast with 100s of sharp edges per square foot.