Quantcast

Looking for New frame

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
Hey guys, I am thinking of getting a new frame in the off season and mating all of my existing parts over too it. I currently have a Kona Stinky. I like to huck, but I also like to go really really fast. I want something that will feel comfortable railing burms, hitting jumps and doing drops. Lets put it this way, my favorite run in Whistler is Freight Train-Goats Gully-Dirt Merchant-Lower A-Line, or sometimes I take Joyride or Detroit Rock City instead of Dirt Merchant. I ride Galbraith Mt. alot, so not that technicall, not that fast, not that huge of hits, and I have to be able to walk/climb this bike to the top (ie no 55lb Karpiels). Any suggestions. I was thinking of Sunday, 7point7/5/3, 2007 Kona Stinky, Morewood Izumi, Giant Faith. Keep in mind I am only buying a frame. One with a 12 or 10x135mm rear axle would be ideal.
Thanks

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
commencal would be sick i got to ride one of the reps. super nice bikes. what about a reign x (freeride version) or a glory freeride

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
sundays are sick. 7 points are improved for this year, the geometry's a little better. the new 6 point is pretty cool as well.

I have a canfield for sale. It rips

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
most of the frames you listed use a 150mm rear hub.

check out these and others too:

reign x
glory 8
dirt bag
canfield balance
morewood shuva lt
7point
demo7
turner highline
blitz 2

long travel slack dh bikes aren't much fun at galby on most trails.

6-7in will be best for your galby/whistler needs.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
sunday is a no no for galby riding as its not FD compatible, unless your only riding/pushing up the roads, most of the trails are pretty pedaly with lots of hills here and there where a granny ring is nice, though i ran a 32 only on a hardtail and was fine but it was a hardtail...and i spun out on any descents

that being said i went from a stinky to banshee scream to dirtbag and am really pleased although i have yet to dial in the rear shock..but i have only ridden the bike afew times...

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
i would check out the reign x, we got one in for a costumer and it is a super sick bike. and good geo. commencal's mini dh i belive uses a 135x12

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
Thanks for the input guys. I have ruled out the Sunday. Right now I am trying to decide between Glory, Dirt-Bag, 7point, Demo 7and blitz. Does anyone here have any experience on a Faith? I could get a good deal on a new 2005 one. Keep the input coming! Also, what travel does the Blitz have? I want at least 7, becase I am bottoming my 6inches everyonce in a while, and want to start to go bigger.

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
Ohh yeah bikerpunk, how burls is the Reign X? I ride really agressivly, and weight probably 190 in gear. I dont wanna get it and have it snapp on me. Also, I will be building it up with a Boxxer, so the head-tube has the be strong enough to handle that.

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
its a pretty sweet bike if your a smooth rider i would say it would be ok but if not i would go w/ the glory. do you have a 7 in. or 8 in. boxxer? the glory is a sick bike and rocks! if you want some thing that you wont have to worry about between the 2 i would go w/ a glory.

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
I have the 8inch boxxer, but if i needed to i could change it to 7inches with spacers. The Glory looks really, nice, but I have yet to find one that is just a frame. If anyone has seen a good deal on that, or any other bike I have showed interest in, post it here please. I dont care if it is used, just as long is it isn't trashed.

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
I have the 8inch boxxer, but if i needed to i could change it to 7inches with spacers. The Glory looks really, nice, but I have yet to find one that is just a frame. If anyone has seen a good deal on that, or any other bike I have showed interest in, post it here please. I dont care if it is used, just as long is it isn't trashed.
my shop is a dealer i could hook you up

Earthmover

Chimp
Feb 25, 2002
Terra Forma
a bottlerocket will rail on the trails you metioned and won't slow you down on mellow trails, but still be able to take all the huge hits.
I'll back you up on this...LOVE mine!! Been waiting for a frame like this for years. Transition nailed it here. Ridden mine @ Whistler-Galbraith-others, perfect all around bike, and it does rail!

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Right now I am trying to decide between ...Dirt-Bag
Check out Tims bike shop in Everett they recently became a dealer for Transition. There having sales on all bikes from now till the 7th. There the best shop around by far, in my opinion. They know how to treat Freeriders and Downhillers because thats about all they stock.

If you mention that you heard about them from Ridemonkey, depending on who your dealing with that might put a big smile on there face....and thats always good when your buying an expensive bike.

They can also do custom builds for you if you want, and they'll help you spec. it.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
fluidride has 7 points for quite cheap. 7.5 and 7.7's
7 point are sick, i ride mine at galby, whistler, beacon, local **** (sst and such) and its a great all around bike. and the good thing about the 7.7 is you dont need to change anything on it, killer spec on that bike for both 05 and 06 AND 07. Iron Horse did a fantastic job specing them bikes.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
Why don't you want to go with a 150mm rear end? It's becoming the new standard, even for 6" bikes now. It provides a very strong and stiff rear end, and now with the standard 83mm BB shells on DH and freeride bikes, it sets you up with the same chainline as a 73 BB and a 135 spacing.

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
I dont want to go with 150 because my brand new wheel set has a 12X135mm rear end. Do any of the shops you guys were talking about stock just the frames? I will be stripping parts off my current bike to build this one, so I dont want or need a whole new bike.