Quantcast

looking for some BIG BOY wheels

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc
well my gary fisher advance came with some weak rims (Rims/Wheels Matrix 550, Spokes 14-gauge stainless-steel) for my sized body (275-280#). so im looking for a tuff rim/spoke/hub combo that i can run with my factory V-brake set up that will stand up to freetrail riding and my fatness:oink:

later

BrandonWatts

Monkey
May 4, 2005
raymond, WA
your a little bigger then i am. i am aobut 265. i would have to say that if you had some mavic ex721's built up on hadely hubs that you would have no problem with them at all. but that is going to be a pretty spendy wheelset. you could do some xt hubs instead of the hadley hubs and that would drop the price and keep it lite enough. what is your budget?

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
BrandonWatts: what is your budget?
im looking at spending no more the $400-500 if i can help it........i wont be this weight for long i hope

jonKranked: also what kind of riding will you be doing? just trails? rock gardens? drops? that will make a big difference.
right now just local single track (roots some rocks) but nothing major, just trying to do this for weight lose.....after i drop the fat i will be looking at trying harder stuff, but by then i will be stepping up to a FS bike with diskbrakes and the works

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
first and foremost, props on getting in shape/losing weight :thumb:

second, I would say ride the wheels you have for the time being. if it ain't broke don't fix it.

if you aren't going to be doing drops, and just general trail riding, i'd recommend this:
http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=19454

yes, i know rhyno lites aren't the lightest or strongest, but for what you are describing they should be good.

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
I would second the Mavic 721's laced to decent disc hubs. This way you can use rim brakes now and disc brakes later (on your next bike). Of course, if you are choosing the components, this most likely this means a custom wheel build. In this case, go with high quality spokes, e.g. DT Swiss Competition (2.0mm/1.8mm/2.0mm) and brass nipples. This offers a big advantage over straight gauge spokes since they ease the stress on the rim.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
A good strong, cheap wheelset is a set of FUNNs. The rims are beefy, as are the hubs. Just not light. Come in 32, 36, or 48 spoke builds.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Azonic outlaws are disc only but a great choice if you had disc brakes.

I would run what you have till something happens.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
zahgurim said:
A good strong, cheap wheelset is a set of FUNNs. The rims are beefy, as are the hubs. Just not light. Come in 32, 36, or 48 spoke builds.
true but are the v-brake compatible, i have a rear and it doesn't look like it would be.

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
Kanter said:

damshatfawk!!!!!!!!!!!!.............my LBS said they would work both ways.............i hope they are right cause i ordered some outlaws saturday night from them............i wish i had read your post before i ordered them:mumble:

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
just save them whren you go FS! just ride your rims, it won't take abuse if you aren't doing drops jumps or anything. a few rocks here and there won't do much, but if it is getting itno shape, don't worry about it, you won't be using that bike when you drop those pounds and get a fs..just ride em, don't be throwing the thing off cliffs and you'll be fine; dependant on how long it takes..props on trying to lose the weight.:weee: :weee: :weee: :weee:

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
Kanter said:

found this info on a site and talked to the LBS again and they said they were rim/disk comp.......i hope the site is right........if not i guess ill go disk then:bomb:

Description
Azonic Outlaw wheelset 36h convertible Black

* Front wheel converts between 20mm thru-axle and quick-release (conversion kit included)
* Rear wheel converts between 12mm thru-axle and quick-release (conversion kit included)
* Compatible with disc and rim brakes
* Quick-release skewers included
http://www.triathlete.com/store/product.php?id=40517

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
then you are fine, but i'd wait to get a new bike before you break in the new rims..keep em as " i lost weight present" for the new bike

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
Kanter said:
Wow, they might be right. Ill check mine when I get home.
please do and let me know what you find/see:clue:

EDIT: the LBS just called and said the rims were in....i asked the guy if it was rim brake comp and he said no they dont look like it cause its not a true flat surface.......so it looks like you were right

so im going to start looking again for a 36 spoke rim/hub combo

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
welp i will be putting on some tuffer rim soon, be it the outlaws or not.........went to tanglewood (local trail) and the rear rim is so out of true that i cant get but 1/2 a rotation before the frame and brakes touch the tire and stop it.............i only did three 12"+/- jumps and tons of roots