Quantcast

Lopes Knee Guard Review

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
They sound great. How far down the shin do they protect? Doesn't look like far, but that's a good thing IMO.

Winston

Chimp
Feb 17, 2006
Irvine, CA
I think these pads are a good idea, but the execution was very poor for me.

They were comfortable to wear up and down the tails, but...

My first pair fell apart after two rides. The stitching on the plastic shell was coming apart.

No problem, my LBS exchanges them for me.

Getting ready to ride the next day, putting them on, the stitching on the plastic was coming apart. Plus the stitching on one of the straps was failing. Didn't get one pedal stroke with that pair. Went without protection that day.

Returned the second set of pads and moved on.

Hopefully quality control has improved since then. :bonk:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Images are now up, sorry about that. Was fighting with lightbox.

I am seeing stitching issues on the gasket (as noted in the review) but nothing on the plastic yet.

Oh, drop your findings as a comment if you want, and let everyone know how they worked out for you. The stitching issue bothered me, and i have an email in to see wtf is up.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I think these pads are a good idea, but the execution was very poor for me.

They were comfortable to wear up and down the tails, but...

My first pair fell apart after two rides. The stitching on the plastic shell was coming apart.

No problem, my LBS exchanges them for me.

Getting ready to ride the next day, putting them on, the stitching on the plastic was coming apart. Plus the stitching on one of the straps was failing. Didn't get one pedal stroke with that pair. Went without protection that day.

Returned the second set of pads and moved on.

Hopefully quality control has improved since then. :bonk:
Yeah, plus they look ugly as hell. :nerd:

chriscarleton

Monkey
Aug 4, 2007
Portland Maine
these things rule, I rode with them all last weekend and ate it pretty hard once and they did not move at all. They are really comfortable and I also think they look cool. Not sure about long term durability though, I'll let you guys know at the end of the season.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
I tried a pair on the other day at the LBS

The knee guard seemed really tight (i had the L-XL size on and ive got chicken legs) and it seemed to restrict the leg movement a bit. Does it stretch out during use so that you wont get this feeling?

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
I wish the knee "pad" fit a bit more snug. Aside from that, I love mine. They protect well, they feel comfy as can be for a knee/shin solution and were worth the cost.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I tried a pair on the other day at the LBS

The knee guard seemed really tight (i had the L-XL size on and ive got chicken legs) and it seemed to restrict the leg movement a bit. Does it stretch out during use so that you wont get this feeling?
Ya, I have the sm/med and I thought the same thing (I have medium sized calves). They strecthed out after about 2-3 runs and became super comfortable. After you wash them they get tight again, and take another run or 2 to stretch out.

pedalmunky

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Sorry to bring back this old thread, but I was going through my old stuff and found a TLD neoprene knee gasket and a cheap pair of TLD 'catcher'-style knee/shin pads, the sub-$20 set without a top strap to keep the knee cup in place. Bulb goes off over my head.

Went to a couple tailors with both sets of pads and a bit of velcro, and was turned down because they couldn't sew around the hard plastic knee cup. Another bulb went off, I tried a shoe repair shop, was quoted a $15 labor charge, and voila! Lopes knockoffs!

I'd take pics but can't be arsed. The pads do work well, though.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Mine slide down anyways, I was under the impression they would stay up better than other pads and it seems as if they would but after using them all weekend at Fontucky I have found them around my shins at the end of the run...I wish there were pads like the patriot pads that extended down your shins.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
My buddy i ride with all the time got Lopes knee pads.
Stitching started to come out in 2 days.

1st class Junk.