Quantcast

Lopes' new Ibis Tranny

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
out of curiosity do you know what your max power output is?
I'm not positive....and this was when i was super focused on 4x at world cup level ( not there anymore haha)

we did a exercise bike test where we would sprint for 30 sec. all out and at the beginning of the sprint they would drop resistance and keep putting more on to the end of 30 sec's.....i actually broke the machine first time...

2nd time i think my coach said i tested at 1600 watts?

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
I'm not positive....and this was when i was super focused on 4x at world cup level ( not there anymore haha)

we did a exercise bike test where we would sprint for 30 sec. all out and at the beginning of the sprint they would drop resistance and keep putting more on to the end of 30 sec's.....i actually broke the machine first time...

thanks, do you know what your bodyweight was at the time? sorry should have asked in the 1st post..

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
If anyone gives a crap.....

Lopes uses saint cranks on a hardtail because of the rigidity/stiffness of the crank in comparison to an XTR. When he put XTR cranks on a hardtail he can just feel them flex, you can see it when he gate starts.

He uses/deals with xtr cranks on a FS bike solely for the weight savings and a FS bike is flexing a bit in the gate already so he just deals with it....but likes the rock solid feel of the saints on HT despite the weight gain.
I do, that's interesting, cheers :)

dsotm

Monkey
Jul 21, 2006
WRJ, VT
FWIW, remember that Bootes could squat something in the mid 400s, for someone under 200 lbs, that's pretty sick I'm pretty sure BCVAN, Lopes, Prokop, etc., could all do 400+ as well. So flexing cranks and frames=no prob.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
FWIW, remember that Bootes could squat something in the mid 400s, for someone under 200 lbs, that's pretty sick I'm pretty sure BCVAN, Lopes, Prokop, etc., could all do 400+ as well. So flexing cranks and frames=no prob.
i thought he would have been able to squat alot more than that!! ive squatted 400 at 180lbs and i wouldnt say im particularly well trained so i assumed the pros would be in the mid 500 range.
Bootes put out just under 2000 watts for 10 secs according to his website.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
i don't know about lopes doing 400+ right now....he's strong, but not very big and stocky....he's leaned out a bit over the last few years.....i deadlifted 405 a couple times and thought i was going to explode.....couldn't imagine putting that much weight on my shoulders, and i'm alot bigger than lopes.....

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA

Adjusting that 1600 watts on a mechanically braked ergometer to an actual bicycle in vivo with a power meter would yield about 1800 watts, FWIW.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
but its not about how much you can squat. there is a lot of other things to factor in.
indeed, you still have to turn that squatting power into pedal power, and of course you need endurance, i just find it interesting to find out what the top guys are doing in terms of weight, power output etc..

track cyclist Chris Hoy stated in an interview he would deadlift over 200kg (440lbs) regularly as part of his training, hes about 75kg so almost a 3x bodyweight lift

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
at the time i was my strongest i was doing 3/4 squats with 425 for 4 to 5 reps.....i can't go all the way down as i have no PCL in my left leg. I think BL and Bootes could do more as they have bigger legs then i do.

that watts conversion makes sense..i remember my coach at the time talking about 1850 watts? can't remember all of it really.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
at the time i was my strongest i was doing 3/4 squats with 425 for 4 to 5 reps.....i can't go all the way down as i have no PCL in my left leg. I think BL and Bootes could do more as they have bigger legs then i do.

that watts conversion makes sense..i remember my coach at the time talking about 1850 watts? can't remember all of it really.
when you say 3/4 do u mean squatting till your thighs are parallel to the ground?

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
exceptional squat there matt, a professional powerlifter at your weight would be proud of that!

what do you do? road? dh? track?

how long was the 1800watts sustained for?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
exceptional squat there matt, a professional powerlifter at your weight would be proud of that!

what do you do? road? dh? track?

how long was the 1800watts sustained for?
I competed Collegiately in Track for Clemson University. I did the Decathlon. I have a little plaque in the weightroom here at Clemson for the lift.:pirate2:

And yes, I would get smoked by EC and most other good 4x/DS racers. I really need to improve my gate start technique.

Salty4X

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
I never squat more than 325. Have no idea what watts are except for Greg Watts, but I no that fast twitch has everything to do with snapping fools... Other exercises like plyo, sprints, and stretching are key AS WELL.

dsotm

Monkey
Jul 21, 2006
WRJ, VT
i thought he would have been able to squat alot more than that!! ive squatted 400 at 180lbs and i wouldnt say im particularly well trained so i assumed the pros would be in the mid 500 range.
Bootes put out just under 2000 watts for 10 secs according to his website.
I think it might have been a multi-rep number just like BC-Van's. I would probably be able to do that by now if I didn't have so many health issues. Two years ago I could do about 300 weighing in at about 150 lbs.

The point is that the top pros put out enough power to flex equipment without any problem.