Quantcast

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Big ol long post
Thanks, man! That made more sense to me than anything else I've heard. I watched it on and off and always got the sense, to me anyway, that the island represented some kind of purgatory and was the balance point between good and evil.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Thanks, man! That made more sense to me than anything else I've heard. I watched it on and off and always got the sense, to me anyway, that the island represented some kind of purgatory and was the balance point between good and evil.
No problem.....the writers consistently stated the the island was not purgatory, although, with last night's finale it's easy to see how many people would be led to believe that it was.

Fire away with your questions and I'll try to do my best.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
he heh heh.....an excellent #2

...and my question still stands. Why didn't jack and desmond turn into smoke monsters too?
Because they were alive.

Also, Desmond removing the stone allowed the smoke monster to be killed. After that Jack closed it back up.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I was a die hard viewer of Lost for it's entirety until the final season. I then quit cold turkey and never wanted to see it again.

Why? (like you care? :rofl:)

I realized the story writers had no final goal for the show. I've seen countless interviews with those guys and the most important were the first few. They felt like they could do a sci-fi mini-series with a shocker ending. The only problem was they became victims of their own success. They had an ending seasons ago, but popularity forced them to just make up new scenarios rather than leave the things vague they originally wanted to.

Say what you want, but the ending was a chaos of hastily written story and not the story's goal. I can't stand filler and crap and they stuffed lots of it into what was a very good concept.

People got paid big money to drag it out and they milked it and in the end, it just faded out when they lost the ability to loop it or catch you off guard.

I think it could have been one of the greatest series of all time if they cut it off 2 seasons ago and stunned you one good time. Don't confuse a 70 year old man taken by age and weariness in death with a 115 year old shell of a soul who's been kept alive by science and media for the sake of breaking records.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
he heh heh.....an excellent #2

...and my question still stands. Why didn't jack and desmond turn into smoke monsters too?
Hey...I forgot to get to this one. Sorry, MMike.

Desmond didn't go smokehouse because he has a unique ability to withstand the intense electromagnetic energy radiated from the islands golden butthole due to the fact that he was at ground zero when he turned the fail safe key when the Swan hatch imploded back in season 3--which released a massive amount of magnetic energy which sent him skipping through moments in his own life's time line. Desmond was lowered down in there to uncork the butt plug of the island to make fake!Locke mortal long enough to kill him.

I would imagine that Jack didn't have that problem because the energy was already off when he went down there to put the butt plug back in. When the light came back on, that's where I believe the islands energy deposited him on the rocks outside the cave. If you remember, that's where the Man In Black(whose name has been revealed to be Samuel) was as well when he was turned into the smoke monster waaaay back in the day.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Was the series dragged out? Of course it was, almost painfully so, but I think it's a stretch of the imagination and a pretty big assumption that the ending is radically different from what it was supposed to be. The final episode more or less tied up basically all the loose ends.

Sure, if the series was shorter, maybe the ending would have been a bit more blunt, easier to follow, and maybe would have come as more of a shock. And yes, it's annoying when a series gets dragged out to maximize $$ (cough Simpson's).

Anyway, I'd suggest you watch the final season. It was pretty good and I think you may drop some of the preconceived notions you seem to have.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I was a die hard viewer of Lost for it's entirety until the final season. I then quit cold turkey and never wanted to see it again.

Why? (like you care? :rofl:)

I realized the story writers had no final goal for the show. I've seen countless interviews with those guys and the most important were the first few. They felt like they could do a sci-fi mini-series with a shocker ending. The only problem was they became victims of their own success. They had an ending seasons ago, but popularity forced them to just make up new scenarios rather than leave the things vague they originally wanted to.

Say what you want, but the ending was a chaos of hastily written story and not the story's goal. I can't stand filler and crap and they stuffed lots of it into what was a very good concept.

People got paid big money to drag it out and they milked it and in the end, it just faded out when they lost the ability to loop it or catch you off guard.

I think it could have been one of the greatest series of all time if they cut it off 2 seasons ago and stunned you one good time. Don't confuse a 70 year old man taken by age and weariness in death with a 115 year old shell of a soul who's been kept alive by science and media for the sake of breaking records.
Hate to hear you felt that way.

You do know that they announced the end date for the series way back in the 3rd season, right? Kinda unprecedented at the time for a show to already know when it was going to end, so my suspicions are that they knew where this was going all along after that point. I got no problems with them doing it the way they did....gave me something interesting to watch on Tuesday nights.

They've been writing the end for several seasons now, so personally, I doubt if I would have used the word hastily-written.

I have no idea what you're talking about in that last paragraph, though. :D

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Wait... What? I don't remember this... When the crap did we find that out!
It wasn't revealed in the show....that's just one of those things you have to poke around at fan sites and stuff to get some inside scoop from the cast and crew.

I kinda wish they had just left it blank, though.....it's more interesting not knowing. :D

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
They've been writing the end for several seasons now, so personally, I doubt if I would have used the word hastily-written.
It was anything but. That was about the best two hours of TV that I can remember watching. The thought process alone that it took to combine the two timelines the way they did was downright amazing. And how everything fell into place with the characters themselves showed just how much thought and emotion went into the show.
Basically, it comes down to this.
If were the type of viewer who bought into all the characters on the show and cared about their journey, then you probaly really dug the final episode.
But if you were the type of viewer who just wanted technical questions about the island itself answered, then you probaly hated it. Plus, then you also failed at life for watching that show for six years and not realizing it was always about the characters.;)

LokiLopez

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
London
(...) that's where I believe the (...)
It all comes down to this, "what you believe". No proof or facts to support any of it.

Don't get me wrong, I love the discussions around the ending and what is what, but it's not in my nature to believe in something just because, I need evidence and I need to be able to prove it.

(...)
If were the type of viewer who bought into all the characters on the show and cared about their journey, then you probaly really dug the final episode.
But if you were the type of viewer who just wanted technical questions about the island itself answered, then you probaly hated it. Plus, then you also failed at life for watching that show for six years and not realizing it was always about the characters.;)
Yes and no. Agree with the first part but you have this massive plot with a huge elephant in the room and in the end you don't give any explanations... its just wrong.

The island, and everything on it, is crucial to actually understanding wtf happened. Without it is a lame ending because you can only guess. And guessing for "technical" viewers is a big no no.

conor

Monkey
Jan 19, 2009
Ireland
nearly every question that people are complaining about has been answered along the line, you just need to watch it again if you don't know the answers.

LokiLopez

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
London
nearly every question that people are complaining about has been answered along the line, you just need to watch it again if you don't know the answers.
Who was Jacobs "mother"? Who were the others previously there before Jacob beaconed(Greyhound's theory) people into the island?

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
It all comes down to this, "what you believe". No proof or facts to support any of it.

Don't get me wrong, I love the discussions around the ending and what is what, but it's not in my nature to believe in something just because, I need evidence and I need to be able to prove it.

Yes and no. Agree with the first part but you have this massive plot with a huge elephant in the room and in the end you don't give any explanations... its just wrong.

The island, and everything on it, is crucial to actually understanding wtf happened. Without it is a lame ending because you can only guess. And guessing for "technical" viewers is a big no no.

What's the plot? The massive hole? Huge elephant? ....Be a bit more on the detailed side of what you're asking for and I'll try and do my best to give you a solid answer. :thumb:

The writers have stated many times that they're just not giving you these types of answers, no matter how much people whine about it. If you've followed the show, you know this and shouldn't be surprised at the lack of "technical details." :confused:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Hate to hear you felt that way.

You do know that they announced the end date for the series way back in the 3rd season, right? Kinda unprecedented at the time for a show to already know when it was going to end, so my suspicions are that they knew where this was going all along after that point. I got no problems with them doing it the way they did....gave me something interesting to watch on Tuesday nights.

I have no idea what you're talking about in that last paragraph, though. :D
Last paragraph was just an analogy. Old man dying by choice versushaving his life drug out unneccesarily to make Greyhound happy. :D

I think my vision of the show was fulfilled in some ways when Charlie died and they all returned to the mainland. There were some very good layers of revelation that occured at that point and character tie-ins. You sort of said "ah-hah! So that's the link between them." Once I saw those simple tie-ins, I was fine with the island just disappearing and affecting others lives in some new way.

I'd have been happier if they'd have sent the cast back, with each having some level of change affected and then take on a whole new cast for upcoming seasons.

That way, you learn the underlying ties the characters have to one another and they go about living or dying. I expected the show to either end or bring on a new cast with a completely unrelated thread of tie-ins, back stories and stunning twists. So, I quit when they didn't play by my rules. :thumb:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Who was Jacobs "mother"? Who were the others previously there before Jacob beaconed(Greyhound's theory) people into the island?
She was the protector of the island. His real mom was killed.

The other people that ended up on the island were there either by mistake or by purposely searching for it.

LokiLopez

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
London
What's the plot? The massive hole? Huge elephant? ....Be a bit more on the detailed side of what you're asking for and I'll try and do my best to give you a solid answer. :thumb:

The writers have stated many times that they're just not giving you these types of answers, no matter how much people whine about it. If you've followed the show, you know this and shouldn't be surprised at the lack of "technical details." :confused:
I'm a hopeful man. But in the end it comes down to MMike's comment:
""Uhhhhh.....EVERYONE's DEAD! so pretty much anything is possible. Easy to explain. All done." Pay me now."

It's as if aliens landed on Earth and all everyone talked/cared about was their personal live and how well their kids were doing in school and no one asked how the hell they got here, how they travelled in space and where they were from.

Btw, I don't want you guys to come up with answers to all the questions. I can make up my own stuff, the problem like I said before is that I would like to verify it someway. ;)

Last edited:

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I'd have been happier if they'd have sent the cast back, with each having some level of change affected and then take on a whole new cast for upcoming seasons.

That way, you learn the underlying ties the characters have to one another and they go about living or dying. I expected the show to either end or bring on a new cast with a completely unrelated thread of tie-ins, back stories and stunning twists. So, I quit when they didn't play by my rules. :thumb:
I think that would be a killer idea! I wanted to see the whole thing done with Ben and Hurley in charge. Actually, having Jack as the protector and Sawyer as the smoke monster would be awesome. They would just be at each others throats for centuries!!

"F*ck you, Jack..you killed Juliet!!"

"F*ck you, Sawyer...you f*cked Kate in a cage!!!" :D:D

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
""Uhhhhh.....EVERYONE's DEAD! so pretty much anything is possible. Easy to explain. All done." Pay me now."

It's as if aliens landed on Earth and all everyone talked/cared about was their personal live and how well their kids were doing in school and no one asked how the hell they got here, how they travelled in space and where they were from.

Btw, I don't want you guys to come up with answers to all the questions. I can make up my own stuff, the problem like I said before is that I would like to verify it someway. ;)

OK...the big problem here is that you're listening to MMike. :D

I gotta be honest with you here....if aliens did land here on Earth, I would be the kind of person that would be fascinated with their personal lives and how well their kids were doing in school. Can you imagine the kind of traction People Magazine could get out of that?

I mean, at least we wouldn't have to see Lohan's fire crotch again for an attention grabbing headline. :think:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA

No, not everyone is dead. (At least not in the sense that I think alot of people think they just died in the crash) The island was real and they were alive when they were on it. No they did not die in the plane crash.

It's all actually really simple, but once you start getting hung up on the details and trying to understand a fairy tale reality that only the writer's know the physics of, you'll end up loosing sight of what the big picture is. Once you get that, everything fits into place. Heck, it even explains why we don't see Walt at all.

The only time they are dead is the slide way version of themselves. It's not the past present or future. The concept of time is more or less non-existent. It's essentially like a purgatory, a place where they all remain until they have found one another and then can move on to the light/heaven/whatever you want to call it.

Sure, I found I couldn't relate to any of the characters because they don't behave like most logically thinking people in normal conversation and human interaction. But it's just a story, a fictional piece of work, a fairytale. I can't relate to Captain Ahab either, but the whole point of something being a character is that they are not human and behave like us.

Last edited:

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I enjoyed the final episode. I knew it would never explain all the technical details; everyone should know by now that they were not going to do that, but it did wrap up the story in a satisfactory manner. The sideways timeline being a purgatory was not something I saw coming, but probably made more sense than any other way of explaining it. Overall I'm pleased with the ending.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
nope. The ending may as well have been:

Jack startles awake, a little frazzled. His wife, Kelly Rippa rolls over. "What's wrong jack?"
I had the strangest dream! I dreamt I wwas on a flight from Sydney to LA on a ficticious airline.............................................."

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I really liked it. The whole deal from start of finish. Very entertaining. I’m also glad it had a beginning, middle and end planned out for the start and I’m glad it ended. Most show’s should have done that all along and maybe more will instead of just trying to cash in on the thing for years after it stops being truly entertaining.

LokiLopez

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
London
So....is everybody good on the explanation?
Remembered something. The conversation between Jacob and the candidates, when Jack takes the job, was ridiculous. The characters spend the entire time asking the same questions everyone did and when they can ask then.. nothing. Not even a wise sarcastic remark by Sawyer.

It came down to "you are here because I made a mistake", they all buy it and move on. :rolleyes:

conor

Monkey
Jan 19, 2009
Ireland
why does it bother you so much that you don't know this? has it taken away from your enjoyment of lost as a whole? sometimes you need to just accept that there isn't an answer for everything.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
The ending may as well have been:

Jack startles awake, a little frazzled. His wife, Kelly Rippa rolls over. "What's wrong jack?"
I had the strangest dream! I dreamt I wwas on a flight from Sydney to LA on a ficticious airline.............................................."
Quoted for truth.

My problem is primarily with the inconsistency on the finale. I don't watch the show to pick up on what doesn't line up and ask questions. I totally get the concept of purgatory and that Jack couldn't move on until he let go and died on the island. Totally acceptable. But why are Kate, Sawyer, Hurley, and Ben in the room at the end with Jack if half of them stayed on the island and the other half left on a plane? They defenitely didn't die or "let go" like jack or the other characters.

When did everyone die for real? When the plane went down? People just died on the island when the island felt they were ready to "move on"? How were they ever able to leave the island and live as survivors of 815 in the real world if they were actually dead? Why didn't the real world look for them when they went back if they were such high profile celebrities? What did Charles seek to gain from finding the island if everyone on it is dead and he isn't in the room anyway? What. The. F**K!

In my opinion they should have cut the series by everyone escaping the darma camp and making it back home. Everything after was complete drivel. I regret watching it after that season after seeing the series finale, I really hoped they'd use their creativity to end it better than everyone being dead.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Quoted for truth.

My problem is primarily with the inconsistency on the finale. I don't watch the show to pick up on what doesn't line up and ask questions. I totally get the concept of purgatory and that Jack couldn't move on until he let go and died on the island. Totally acceptable. But why are Kate, Sawyer, Hurley, and Ben in the room at the end with Jack if half of them stayed on the island and the other half left on a plane? They defenitely didn't die or "let go" like jack or the other characters.

When did everyone die for real? When the plane went down? People just died on the island when the island felt they were ready to "move on"? How were they ever able to leave the island and live as survivors of 815 in the real world if they were actually dead? Why didn't the real world look for them when they went back if they were such high profile celebrities? What did Charles seek to gain from finding the island if everyone on it is dead and he isn't in the room anyway? What. The. F**K!

In my opinion they should have cut the series by everyone escaping the darma camp and making it back home. Everything after was complete drivel. I regret watching it after that season after seeing the series finale, I really hoped they'd use their creativity to end it better than everyone being dead.
I found the finale to be very consistent with the last season as a whole.

Christian Shepard hit the nail on the head: time didn't exist in the "sideways world." Picture that world not as purgatory, but more like a bus stop or meeting room on the way to heaven or the afterlife. Because time was flexible (non-linear?) in the afterlife, each character met in that world once their life had ended, regardless of the year. Libby lived a shortened life, Jack died yesterday, and we can assume that everyone else (Hurley, Ben, Sawyer, Kate) lived a long and full life; yet they all gathered together in the afterlife at seemingly the same time (the day after their respective death, for example).

LOST mirrors real life: none of us make it out alive. As Jacob so simply put, the choices and decisions we make are the sign of progress. In the end, we witnessed Jack discover his faith. Ben found peace on the island and finally sought redemption. Crap dude, Ben's performance at the end was heart-wrenching. Just awesome. I'd happily go through 6 seasons of mystery just to be a part of this one more time.

LokiLopez

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
London
why does it bother you so much that you don't know this? has it taken away from your enjoyment of lost as a whole? sometimes you need to just accept that there isn't an answer for everything.
It bothers me because of my nature, it bothers me that there are things that I can't find an explanation to.

There is always a answer for everything, always. (except for Lost :D)

Last edited:

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Jack Bauer is going to escape to the island, now that it's not so crowded, kill the black fog thingy, wire the magnetron wheel to explode and scuttle the island itself back to real time, then piece the plane together himself and fly it off the ocean, land it at the UN, rescue President Taylor from a tribunal, load it with weapons, stop and pick up the engineer dude from Prison Break and retaliate on the Russians.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Jack Bauer is going to escape to the island, now that it's not so crowded, kill the black fog thingy, wire the magnetron wheel to explode and scuttle the island itself back to real time, then piece the plane together himself and fly it off the ocean, land it at the UN, rescue President Taylor from a tribunal, load it with weapons, stop and pick up the engineer dude from Prison Break and retaliate on the Russians.
pffft. as if. First he has to bring Prison Break dude back to life. Duh.