Quantcast

Lourdes 2022

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Whoops are a bit dumb for mountain bikes. They naturally get formed in the desert by very large diameter wheels (which we have) repeatedly skipping traction as the suspension droops and accelerating under power (which we don't have). With enough traffic, it scallops the ground and reflects the average speeds, wheel diameters and suspension frequencies.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
That looks tough! There was a whoops section (or two, depending) at Sol Vista/Granby Ranch. But not that big. It was kinda fun to push yourself on how fast you could go. But then again, they were not that big. Pics can be deceiving.

Bring on the new race season!

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Whoops are a bit dumb for mountain bikes. They naturally get formed in the desert by very large diameter wheels (which we have) repeatedly skipping traction as the suspension droops and accelerating under power (which we don't have). With enough traffic, it scallops the ground and reflects the average speeds, wheel diameters and suspension frequencies.
I agree. Just shift up going in... Oh that's right!

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
My predictions:

• Bernard Kerr attempting to clear the whole whoops section on the Vital MTB slideshow
• a top 10 rider will have their season ended here in their race run

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

THIS! It does nothing to differenciate players by skill but creates a random element if it gets slick.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
THIS! It does nothing to differenciate players by skill but creates a random element if it gets slick.
I disagree about differentiating skill levels. I can't ride whoops at speed. I've tried. Which is why I'm always amazed and impressed when I see the pros smoke the sh!t out of them. Where I do agree is that if they become dangerous due to changing conditions, they should be adapted accordingly.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I disagree about differentiating skill levels. I can't ride whoops at speed. I've tried. Which is why I'm always amazed and impressed when I see the pros smoke the sh!t out of them. Where I do agree is that if they become dangerous due to changing conditions, they should be adapted accordingly.
At our level it's skill based but at world cup level? Not really. It's very similar to a huge gaps. You either can ride them or not. Especially if they are as short as those so it's not the same case like old school 4x rollers which would be a 100x better idea.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
That looks tough! There was a whoops section (or two, depending) at Sol Vista/Granby Ranch. But not that big. It was kinda fun to push yourself on how fast you could go. But then again, they were not that big. Pics can be deceiving.

Bring on the new race season!
Oh man, yes those were fun. I was always too much of a pussy to try to gap into any of them amd just bulldozed my way through.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Innerressinngly, Eddie Masters is on the latest Bikes and Big Ideas podcast, which one, go listen to now, and B. at the end talks, somewhat passionately, about wanting to do a straight rhythm contest for MTB and how awesome it would be. What do we know.