Quantcast

low carb beers

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
damn, i guess i was out of the country long enough to not see the travesty that is low carbohydrate beers, but noticed a couple the other night...WTF? :nope:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
"...salutes real men of genius- I'm talking about you, Mr. Outofcontrolcarbcounter".

That one had me rolling on the floor with mirth. I guess light beer just isn't watery and tasteless enough and nearbeer/NA beer is just too uncool for the hipster carbie who wants to be seen by the opposite sex as "fun but fit". If someone bought one for me, I'd try it...but that'll be the only possible way.

I bet they could increase sales of that infamous "treet" Spam by 50% just by slapping an "Atkins-Friendly" sticker on the can.

"Boy-oh-boy! I'm a real healthy person now that my inactivity is halted by the need to scrape the lardish jelly off my block of canned ham. I'll be sure to wash it down with an Aspen Edge just to be sure."

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Pfft, screw that. I like my beer the way god meant it, full of carbs & calories and more importantly taste.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
low carb beer is like fat free cheese or sugar free candy....... F'IN WRONG!. if you're that worried about your wittle carb intake, you should be banned from beer altogether.

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
llkoolkeg said:
"...salutes real men of genius- I'm talking about you, Mr. Outofcontrolcarbcounter".
It's Mr. Overthetopcarbcounter but yeah that is one of the funniest commercials ever. Is it on tv? I have only heard it on the radio.

because the only thing better than eggs and meat..... is meat and meat!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If I want to lose weight and drink beer I just drink a lot. I figure if I can drink it fast enough the alcahol will absorb into my system and cause vomiting before the carbs can be digested.

In all seriousness I would prefer to get a tapeworm before drinking low carb beer.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
llkoolkeg said:
"....with an Aspen Edge just to be sure."
Oh sweet jesus! I had that over the weekend. I wished that I was in a coma instead. Was I hanging out with my female friends? No that would almost make some sense, since chicks generally worry about those kinds of things. NO, I was a frat party. What happened to the good ol' days of Beast and Natty Ice? At least with them, you got a buzz going for cheap, and you felt that high carb fuel propelling you the next day on the post hangover ride. I pre-gamed before this party, and I swear to god, the low carb beer actually started absorbing alcohol OUT of my bloodstream :angry: It's like diet soda, people. If you're going to do it, do it right. B/c I'm sure the 3.45595 extra carbs in a good beer compared to ASSpen Edge (no extra "S" there) are going to be much worse for you diet than the alcohol.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
RideND said:
It's Mr. Overthetopcarbcounter but yeah that is one of the funniest commercials ever. Is it on tv? I have only heard it on the radio.
You are correct, Sir. My herb-addled memory must have confused the superlatives. I, also, have only heard it on the radio.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
RideND said:

because the only thing better than eggs and meat..... is meat and meat!

It is actually

Because the only thing better than meat & potatoes is.... meat and meat. It is one of the best commercials out there.

That being said Michelob Ultra and the Rolling Rock (I forget the name) version are drinkable.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
It's all marketing. People serious about losing weight on a low carb diet shouldn't be drinking alcohol anyway, nevermind the carbs. But most of them aren't [serious].

I just love all the low carb junkfood now too. Chocolate bars, peanutbutter cups, Ben and Jerry's, ad-nauseum. Nevermind all the artificial crap and hydrogenated oils they're loaded with, it's low carb!

Fortunately it appears that only the already s#itty domestics are touting low carb, at least from what I've seen. Those can't be considered beer anyway. :)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Carb-free beer is like...
...pissing in the bathroom sink. Sure, you can do it, but it doesn't make it right.

burlysurly said that about another topic, seems to work here too :D

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Ice cold Guinness? Tsk tsk.

Actually Guinness is fairly low in carbs and really low in calories. I saw a billboard about a month ago, I think it was somewhere in Denver, that was about Guinness being low calorie.

B_A_MTBIKER

Monkey
May 4, 2004
Where the wild things are
Interesting to know that. But it is not as tasteless as the "Low Carb" beers (which was my intended point), it is the real deal, full o' flavor. If it is in fact low carb/calorie...that is just a perk.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I work for a beer distributor and i've tried em all. One thing about low-carb beer that nobody ever mentions is the horrible hangovers they give you.