Quantcast

Low(er) Profile Shoes?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I have 5-10 Impacts right now, and they're certainly great shoes in that they're nice and burly, not too heavy, and really grippy.

However, the height of the sole makes my feet tend to roll, and combined with the height of my MG-1s, I have quite a tall pedal+shoe combo. I don't notice it too much, except on jumps.

Has anyone tried the Freeriders, or any other 5-10 shoe, and can they comment on the height of the sole?

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Well... I don't know how high MG-1's are, but you could buy a really pimp and durable set of pedals that work well like canfield crampon pedals.

If you can't pony up the dough for them, I would suggest deity decoys next.

They are both pretty low profile, especially the canfields.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Well... I don't know how high MG-1's are, but you could buy a really pimp and durable set of pedals that work well like canfield crampon pedals.

If you can't pony up the dough for them, I would suggest deity decoys next.

They are both pretty low profile, especially the canfields.

Yeah I figured I'd try and do both pedals+shoes thinner after I kill each.

When I ride in my Vans equivalents, the pedals feel pretty good, but they don't have stiff enough soles for DH.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I have the freeriders. They are lower, but and the sole isn't as stiff. Only complaint is that ankle support isn't quite as good.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I have the Freeriders (had Impacts for several years before now) and have been pretty happy with them. They might be a bit lower, but it doesn't feel like that much of a difference to me.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Deity is a good pedal albeit slightly heavier than the MG1 that you are running (430 vs. 280ish) they are a bullet-proof pedal though, they took more than their fair share of smashes and it took a lot just to lose a pin or two fwiw. Can't help much as far as shoes go however, I've always run Impacts or Nike 6.0 one thing I have noticed though is Impacts protect your feet a great deal in collisions with stumps and rocks (hence the name I suppose).

b1k3_r1d3r

Monkey
Jul 6, 2005
i have their "basic" shoe. road probably once or twice before my shoulder surgery at a bmx track. they were rad. however after 1 week the lace eyelets were tearing out and after 3 a whole on the side (where your toes bed) started to form. about 2 months later the holes huge.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Would recommend lower profile pedals...I can't imagine going to a lower profile shoe, the impacts were pretty close to perfection (stiff, durable, protective)

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I love the freeriders. I find the impacts incredibly uncomfortable and too stiff. The freeriders solve both of those problems.
money.

Get the freeriders and a set of CF crampons, and you'll be set. Best pedal shoe setup in the business.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
I love the freeriders. I find the impacts incredibly uncomfortable and too stiff. The freeriders solve both of those problems.
I've heard this from numerous people, especially those with small feet.

Thinking about it, it makes sense, the shorter sizes are much stiffer as the sole is the same thickness. With small feet, you can get a plenty stiff sole out of a skate shoe. However, if you have a large size foot (I'm a 13-14) even a shoe like the impact could be stiffer.

-KT

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Hey Bicyclist,
I have that same setup with the Impacts and I have the MG-1's on my slalom bike. Its the damn pedals man. For some reason they feel really tall. If you measure them, they are not THAT tall, but under foot, they just feel that way, and it is easier to roll your foot on them.
I know this because my other pedals are Easton Flatboys, and there is a huge difference in feel and stability between the two pedals, and that is with wearing Impacts with both of them.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Sounds like I'll spring for some lower pedals then.

Man it was scary in Whistler this summer on the steeper jumps there always having my feet float and roll on the pedals, the whole time I thought it was the tall-feeling shoes too. Made for some close calls.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I would agree with both last posts. FWIW, I hate those pedals. To me they feel as tall as they do 'long'. Remind me of those wooden blocks you use to to allow little kids to reach the pedals on a bike that it too big.

Are the freeriders holding up better now?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I demo'd a buddy's prototype pedals that were much thicker than my atomics, and they felt the same (rolly wooden block thing). Hopped back on my flatty flats and felt glued in.