Quantcast

Lowering Manitou Sherman Flick...?

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Just wondering how difficult it was to lower a sherman flick to say... 65mm? an I use die springs similar to a gold label? Found a killer deal on one.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Anything is possible, but I don't know if it is worth it.

I had a 110/145 flick that I lowered to 90mm, it was good but if I remember right it was as tall as my gold label at 100mm because of the over lap. Basically the stanctions on the long travel flicks are longer than the stanctions on the gold lable forks. The other issue is that Manitou springs are wound to a smaller diameter at the ends so if you cut them they don't seat properly. That will make the amount of preload excessive.

But it can be done with a delrin spacer..... I could probably send some pics on how to do it if you want.

chillneil

Chimp
Jun 17, 2008
Hey TortugaTonta. Did you end up cutting the spring? Where do you source a delrin spacer? Im planning to lower my sherman to use as a dirt jump fork. Thanks

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
No I did not cut the spring, but I did use a shorter spring out of an old Manitou firefly.

I turned a piece of delrin down on my lathe to make the spacer.

I would suggest trying to find a Gold Lable, I really like mine for riding trails. The flick I modified was basically just to get me bye until I could get a smokin deal on the gold lable and while it got the job done it wasn't the greatest.

Having said that, if you have no choice but to use the sherman I could try to help you out. Not to be a wise ass but what kind of experience do you have and what kind of tools/equipment do you have? If all you need is a spacer I could make one and get it to you for the cost of shipping.