Quantcast

Lube or anti-seize

DTLogic

Monkey
Aug 16, 2006
South Fla
What is the difference between lube and anti-seize? I know on a chain you would use lube but let's say on a BB installation would anti-seize be more appropriate?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
For parts that need lubrication to operate obviously an appropriate lube is best. For assembly of parts anti-seize is best but heavy grease can work. I have had parts seize together using just grease before when un-anodized aluminium is part of the equation. Anti-seize would certainly have worked better. Anti-seize typically has high amounts of copper in it that can prevent the oxidation that causes seizing.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Anti seize works better for areas that get very hot (exhaust studs), for metals that gall badly (titanium) or for things that will be in place for a looong time before being removed.

I use a light coat of grease on BBs and never have a problem.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
anti-seize or grease would be fine for a BB but i (and our shop) typically use grease on it.

Westy pretty much summed it up. heavy grease can be used in place of anti-seize but isnt as good to prevent galling.
i do use Ti anti-seize on all my Ti bolts as well as the flip chips on my bike that creak like a mofo without it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I tend to sweat a bit on the bike. A lot of this sweat ends up dripping on the stem/steerer. I had a raw aluminium steerer on a fox fork adhere itself to the headset, stem and spacers so bad that it required a chisel to get the headset and spacers off. Steerer was a complete loss but the frame was saved. I used some Pedros grease when installing everything but in hindsight anti-seize would have been better. I have also started using anti-seize on my seatposts.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Anglesets (lol), flip chips, Ti bolts
Sorry, I meant brands/examples of anti-seize (in cae I want to pick some up), not where it would be used.

I know it would be used in those applications plus most pivot bolts and shock mounting hardware (Steel on Aluminum), Bottom bracket threads, pedals going into Al cranks that do not have a stainless insert... Anywhere two different types of material meet each other (besides plastic).

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Sorry, I meant brands/examples of anti-seize (in cae I want to pick some up), not where it would be used.
i use the Ti anti-seize from Finish Line which is gold in color and comes in small packets, but any anti-seize would work.

i went to Home Depot to get some "normal," silver anti-seize but 6 people there looked at me like i had 8 heads when i asked for it. they said they have loctite but had no idea what anti-seize was :think:. i told them it was the complete opposite of loctite. they also had no idea what mastic tape was.
any auto parts store should have the silver anti-seize

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You are probably right about anti-seize but inevitably I use what I have sitting around.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I tend to sweat a bit on the bike. A lot of this sweat ends up dripping on the stem/steerer. I had a raw aluminium steerer on a fox fork adhere itself to the headset, stem and spacers so bad that it required a chisel to get the headset and spacers off. Steerer was a complete loss but the frame was saved. I used some Pedros grease when installing everything but in hindsight anti-seize would have been better. I have also started using anti-seize on my seatposts.
You do NOT want to be using copper based anti seize anywhere there will be salt water. Then you go from galling to galvanic corrosion, which is worse.

edit: This is a common mistake here in florida that makes boat mechanics giggle and rub their hands together.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You do NOT want to be using copper based anti seize anywhere there will be salt water. Then you go from galling to galvanic corrosion, which is worse.

edit: This is a common mistake here in florida that makes boat mechanics giggle and rub their hands together.
****, maybe that was my problem. It certainly was galvanic corrosion.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
i use the Ti anti-seize from Finish Line which is gold in color and comes in small packets, but any anti-seize would work.

i went to Home Depot to get some "normal," silver anti-seize but 6 people there looked at me like i had 8 heads when i asked for it. they said they have loctite but had no idea what anti-seize was :think:. i told them it was the complete opposite of loctite. they also had no idea what mastic tape was.
any auto parts store should have the silver anti-seize
Ha ha, I've had the same response when asking for Mastic tape at Home Depot and Lowes also.
But, yeah, auto parts stores are a great place to get the normal Nickel based anti-seize.

And, somewhat ironically, Loctite actually does manufacture anti-seize. We use it where I work, and it kind makes me chuckle to see Loctite brand anti-seize. Its still funny the Home Depot clowns confused the thread locker with anti-seize.

For applications, I use anti-seize on quick release seat collars, as it tends to keep those things working longer than grease. On any other stubborn interface that grease doesn't solve creaking, I'll use anti-seize there as well.