Quantcast

Lube Talk

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
There was some sporty chat about lube in here a little while back:

I grabbed some Squirt, but think I'm going to stop using it. It seems to be prone to gumming up the chain ring and parts of the drivetrain.

Going to go back to the Whistler Lubricants wet lube. It's a little messy, but it wipes right off and seems to last. Wet season is here, so it seems fitting.

Still have lots of the mucoff C3 green stuff, but I find it attracts sand. Maybe because I have a habit of not giving it enough time to dry out?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Prolink Gold on my MTB's since forever. I might try some Silca Synergetic when I've used up the massive amount of Prolink I still have. Road bikes get the all conditions drip on wax from Ceramic Speed.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Prolink Gold on my MTB's since forever. I might try some Silca Synergetic when I've used up the massive amount of Prolink I still have. Road bikes get the all conditions drip on wax from Ceramic Speed.
Do you know if the Gold is much different than the Xtreme stuff?

I used the Xtreme stuff a long time ago, but it was like water. Had to lube every ride pretty much.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I use Ice Wax or Rock n Roll Gold almost always these days. It's very dry and dusty here. I get crazy about cleaning my drivetrain / chain, and I find that this stuff works the best for our conditions.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Do you know if the Gold is much different than the Xtreme stuff?

I used the Xtreme stuff a long time ago, but it was like water. Had to lube every ride pretty much.
This is the type I have, part way through another 32oz bottle. I probably redo the MTB chains about every 3 rides/50 miles. As Nick said, dry and dusty here.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Plus, the PTFE is going to be here for...ever

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
R&R. You don't think it's angel-tears that make it so smooth?
I didn't say I'm using Rock n Roll though above :p

(I do have some which gets used on my XC race bike, it won't get replaced when the bottle is out because of the PTFE).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I didn't say I'm using Rock n Roll though above :p

(I do have some which gets used on my XC race bike, it won't get replaced when the bottle is out because of the PTFE).
I am pretty sure, but not certain, that all of the "not oil and not wax" lubes now contain this. I remember way back when the Dumonde Tech rep told us it was "polymer-based" and it didn't make much sense at the time, but it was definitely not an oil and not a wax...but it's making a lot more sense now. A few of them straight up say it, but I think the others keep it on the DL.