Quantcast

Lube

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
One of my friends keeps telling me to just use PB Blaster. Anyone ever do that? Or WD-40?
:twitch:
PB is a penetrant.
WD40 is for moisture displacement and works well to clean gummy old grease and oil.
Neither is a lubricant.

I've been a fan of Dumonde in the past but it's expensive and hard to find.
Might try Pro-link. I know people swear by it but I've never used it.

Ruffles

Chimp
Apr 3, 2012
Selah, Wa
:twitch:
PB is a penetrant.
WD40 is for moisture displacement and works well to clean gummy old grease and oil.
Neither is a lubricant.
That's what I was trying to tell him, he thinks he is a know it all and swears it will work, now I'm going to show him this post haha! I guess I need to just quit being lazy about it and head to my LBS and see what they have.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm a fan of Dumonde products also, but yes, it can be hard to find. I picked some up in Portland during a not-so-recent visit.

I used to love Pedros Ice Wax, but they've now changed it to "Ice Wax 2.0 and it's WAY to thick. I have to warm it in hot water first and even then I'm doubtful how much is actually able to flow into the rollers of the chain. The thing I love about Pedros products is that they can be bought in large quantities for better value. 'cept now I have a huge bottle of molasses thick Ice Wax that I don't like using... :rolleyes:

Ruffles

Chimp
Apr 3, 2012
Selah, Wa
Your friend is retarded and should be ignored.
At least I'm not the only one who thinks so! I can't wait to let him know that a whole thread of people think he's a dumbass! :thumb:

So this weekend when I get paid I'm going to my LBS and seeing what they think and if they say the same things as you guys I'll trust em more, my LBS is run by a complete tool who thinks his poo don't stink so I'm a little apprehensive. All these other brands you guys talk about, are they all online?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Dumonde or T9. Both work well, but both are a touch prone to build up.

I've used homebrew in the past (motor oil thinned way out with mineral spirits) that worked as well as anything commercial, to be honest. I just love the way Dumonde smells.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
All these other brands you guys talk about, are they all online?
Yeah, everything's online.

Also, pay attention to what people around you use (not your buddy though, he's a total dumbass.) You're going to need a different daily lube in the wet PNW than you will in dusty SoCal.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
One of my friends keeps telling me to just use PB Blaster. Anyone ever do that? Or WD-40?
Let me put it this way, both of these are solvents, not lubricants. Using those as lubricants can in most cases accelerate wear. One was intended as a water repellant that happens to do more, the other was designed to specifically break down rust.

Ruffles

Chimp
Apr 3, 2012
Selah, Wa
Yeah, everything's online.

Also, pay attention to what people around you use (not your buddy though, he's a total dumbass.) You're going to need a different daily lube in the wet PNW than you will in dusty SoCal.
Cool, I was going to ask about conditions next. But you beat me to it, it's not as wet as Seattle where I live but this time of the year we get some rain, it actually rained on me earlier. I appreciate the advice!

Ruffles

Chimp
Apr 3, 2012
Selah, Wa
Let me put it this way, both of these are solvents, not lubricants. Using those as lubricants can in most cases accelerate wear. One was intended as a water repellant that happens to do more, the other was designed to specifically break down rust.
Pretty much what I told him but he swears it'll work. I showed him this thread and now he's kinda like "oh well I didn't mean all the time, only like every once in awhile." Anyways, thanks for the advice!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Pretty much what I told him but he swears it'll work. I showed him this thread and now he's kinda like "oh well I didn't mean all the time, only like every once in awhile." Anyways, thanks for the advice!
I have a friend that uses wd40 for his guns....... they are retarded loose over the years..... Funny though cause I use T9 and triflow for mine a lot of the time.

Ruffles

Chimp
Apr 3, 2012
Selah, Wa
I just looked online at a bunch of different lubes and can't make up my mind on what to get (haha that's what she said) anyways maturing now! I think I just want to try 'em all. But my bike is on a one year warranty through my LBS and they said they will lube it for me whenever I bring it in. I feel like I'm just over thinking the piss out of this. That's a newbie problem right?? Haha