Quantcast

Lx vs. Xt cranks: why pay more???

afroboy

Chimp
Oct 23, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
Ok, so a riding buddy and I are stumped. We both need new cranks for our 06 Enduros, which we will use for trail riding/xc and downhill. Until now it seemed the external bearing (05 and 06) Xt crankset was perfect for the application. Now, Shimano has Lx in the same design and options, for nearly half the price. In the past, Lx stuff has generally differed from Xt in alloys used, bearing quality, and tolerances among items of the same design. What sort of differences could justify spending nearly double for the Xt cranks? There is a marginal weight difference, which might come down to chainrings and hardware more than crankarms, spider, axle, cups and bearings. So to anyone who can shed some light on this, please do.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
BBs are the same.

The color is the big difference.

I'm pretty sure the XT has a nicer axle and rings, etc.

They're a little lighter. I think they have a better alloy, but don't quote me on that.

If I were to buy them I would get LX because they're so similar and so cheap.

They rely on people buying XTs for no reason. When you look into it they're pointless.

afroboy

Chimp
Oct 23, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
"They rely on people buying XTs for no reason. When you look into it they're pointless."

I am starting to think this might be the case. The fact that Shimano provides no detailed technical specs regarding alloys and tolerances makes me suspect there are no substantial differences beyond the obvious, and that marketing is what is comes down to. What do others think about this? Are Xts worth it over the long run, or is Shimano trying to dupe us?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Hooray for posting guesses. :rolleyes:

The XT's are lighter.
The LX's use an alloy axle (you'll notice it's thicker) which some people have managed to break. The XT's use a chromoly axle, the same as the Saints.

Lighter + stronger = win.
And naturally, they cost more.

You'll notice for 05 the Hone triple was identical to the LX, but for 06 they introduced the Hone double (+ bash), which runs the stronger chromoly axle, as people were killing the alloy one for heavy use.

Hope that clears it up,
Udi

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Some of the guys are buying XT's online from the UK. They are coming out to about $170 USD, which is pretty dang good. Check out the MTBR forum for best deals....great price IMO. I really want the XT's, but they don't make a suitable bb for the Demo 9..

Another note about the LX/Hones vs XTs I read the bearings are a bit higher quality, and as a result last longer. This may be all internet speculation, but you never know.