Quantcast

M3 - do you have any fender for rear shock?

ckooi

Monkey
Aug 19, 2002
Penang, Malaysia
It is differ from SC V10 as V10 have a oem carbon fender at the rear swingarm to block away the the sand and debris from the rear wheels.

Just wondering if any of you have customed a solution on the fender?

Am thinking to get a friends help to custom made a plastic fender to better protect the rear shock.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
to be absolutely honest, you dont need a cover. seals on rear shox are really good, and there is a dust seal and a oil seal so i wouldn't worry. my bike is even more prone to sutff getting flung on it, esp here in england with all the mud. there soo little mud in pg and sand doesn't get flung there much.

hellonasty

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
MSA
Made one from a front THE fender, the rear part of it. put it there draw some lines where to cut off the extra materials and fixing holes, got the Dremel out, carve the thing pierce the holes, got some zip ties, et voilà!!

Very easy, cheap and helps when it's time to clean the bike, especially here in eastern Canada...

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
You can get a lizardskin shock wrap. I plan on using one for muddy races this year since theres no way to fit a fender on my new frame.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
the shox wraps are horibble, they keep the dirt out but rub against the spring and wear it.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
you really dont need them at all. i mean on the sc it just adds carbon bling to the frame but other than that it is pretty much a usless add on.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The guards are useless, save the weight and leave them off.

Like dhkid touched on, shock seals and dust wipers are completely adequate for the job. Similarly to forks, they are designed to work exposed to the elements, nothing will enter the shock and the wiper will wipe any mud/grit away quite successfully.

The ONLY legitimate use for a guard might be as suggested above if you have a DHX air and want to protect the large air shaft from rock chips, but even that is highly unlikely IMO.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
The rear fender can help the shock bushings from getting sand/mud thrown at them while they are constantly cycling, which will probably prolong their life. I agree though, for the actual shock its kind of pointless.