Quantcast

M6/Bearing question.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Guys, I have a bearing related question about my M6 frame. I took the entire thing apart, linkage and everything to clean it and inspect for cracks and things I need to replace etc etc. Putting the linkage back together, I noticed that on the top triangle, when I put the linkage on and attach the bearings using the bolts, when I tigthen the bolts down and toggle the suspension (without shock or hooked to lower linkage) its very notchy. however the bearings spin freely without being bolted down. I remeber this happening last season but it felt fine once the shock was all hooked up. Is this normal? I know I have the proper spacers in place.

phycoref

Chimp
Oct 6, 2010
Canada
You could be over tightening the bearings, I know that I felt this happen when I over tightened the link on my V10. Make sure you torque to manufactures specs and to start just tighten till there is no play and see how that feels (as long as that is less then the torque spec, for my V10 it was). Do you have all the linkages set up? If not remember the links don't actually move very far, I was in a similar boat to you when I was re doing my V10.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
If I remember it correct the M6 has the normal bearings (not angular contact bearings). Then you need a spacer between the inner races of the two bearings when you press them in. Intense calls this crush tube. This will avoid binding when tightening the pivot bolts. Is this mounted? If not this might explain your observations.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Thanks for reply.
If you know anything about Intense Pivot bolts, they must be over tightened. You could use loctite but I like to keep my pivots clean and take them apart every few rides so that isnt an option.
The spacers are indeed there. I finished assembling the frame, minus the shock today and once everthing was tightened up I can toggle the rear swing arm and it feels just as smooth as ever. I cant explain why though.

iflylow

Chimp
Apr 3, 2012
Anyone have the correct torque specs for the M6? I cant find anywhere and Intense Cycles website does not have any m6 manuals.