Quantcast

Mac mini help

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My Mac mini Core non-2 Duo (2006 era) is acting strange. First iPhoto started to crash immediately upon launch with an EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION error, then when I stuck in some DVDs to try to reinstall iLife '09 and then Snow Leopard itself I realized that the Superdrive isn't working at all.

About the iPhoto problem: I am pretty sure it's not a data problem as it happens after deleting the iPhoto preference plist, after switching to a new library with iPhotoLibraryManager, and also happens with a brand-new user account. On the other hand, after several hours of frustration iPhoto then decided about a half hour ago that it would play nicely and now loads with my complete original iPhoto Library.

About the Mac mini problem: I've repaired permissions, no dice. I repaired my external/backup drive in Disk Utility, which found nothing awry. I verified my bootup/internal drive, and Disk Utility similarly found nothing wrong.

Inserting a blank DVD-R produces some mechanical sounds from the Superdrive but it isn't spit out, isn't recognized by the Finder or other apps such as iPhoto, and is impossible to eject outside of rebooting and holding down the left mouse button for a solid minute.

Inserting a commercial DVD that worked fine--iLife '09, Snow Leopard install and Leopard install discs--produces a few mechanical rumblings from the drive followed by the disc being spit out in about 10 seconds, without it mounting in the Finder or anything else happening.

Inserting a bootable DVD (eg Snow Leopard install disc) and holding C down on startup produces the rumbling sounds and an ejected disc after which startup proceeds from the internal HDD.

Thoughts? I'm not sure where to go from here as I can't mount or boot from the OS X install discs so can't do what I'd usually do, an archive and reinstall. I think I may have to suck it up and head in to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store. Now that I think of it I might as well try doing Install Over Network from Jessica's iBook's optical drive… here goes nothing…

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Now that I think of it I might as well try doing Install Over Network from Jessica's iBook's optical drive… here goes nothing…
And it's a big :failboat: for me, or the computer, or both. Pressing option on startup to supposedly be able to select the remote OS X install DVD produced exactly nothing, and trying to boot into Open Firmware via apple-option-O-F (does this even work on modern Macs?) also did zilch.

I figure either I've been rooted at a very basic level or something has failed.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ok, Genius Bar reservation made for tomorrow (on call all day today). Hopefully it's just a matter of a bum optical drive, in which case it'd probably be much cheaper to buy an external drive than have them pry open the hermetically sealed Mac mini case. We shall see.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You just need a few paint scrapers and jeweler's screwdriver kit to work on those, its not too bad just a huge PITA compared to regular screws like most cases. I am sure if you looked around at forums you'd find out which optical drive models you can stick in there if the people at the store say you need a new drive. I upgraded my G4 mini's HDD and ram before I even turned it on. I think its about to die now but its pretty old for mobile grade hardware...

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Gee, and I thought that macs NEVER had any problems. :D
Show me your PC from 2006 still kickin' along strongly... well, at least until yesterday. :rofl:

Thanks for the tip, Josh. Still seems like it might be easier just to plug in a FW or USB 2.0 optical drive if the original one is toast, although I guess I need to verify that it's possible to boot from an external optical drive...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Show me your PC from 2006 still kickin' along strongly... well, at least until yesterday. :rofl:
SS = 1, not useful.

The headquarters/call center(7x24x365) at the last place I worked had about 3 dozen SFF Optiplex (bought as refurbished even) still in production after over 7 years - they worked fine for that but just barely adequate spec with memory upgrades.

Thanks for the tip, Josh. Still seems like it might be easier just to plug in a FW or USB 2.0 optical drive if the original one is toast, although I guess I need to verify that it's possible to boot from an external optical drive...
Its true for most end-user optical drives have less relevance these days so an external drive you could connect on demand might make more sense.

Last edited:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch

My desktop is from 2004.....

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Don't count out a CD Cleaner. They have a little brush on the disk and make knock out the gunk on your lens. It's worth a try. When I need to install the OS on system with a bad optical, I sometimes do the following:

1) Put the mini in Target Disk Mode by holding down T at the chimes OR load up the os and go to System Prefs > Startup Disk and select Target Disk Mode. Restart and wait for the bouncing Firewire icon.
2) Connect the Mini to another mac.
3) Boot the OS installer on that system and install the OS to the Firewire drive.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ok, so RM is full of cheap SOBs. (So is my workplace, incidentally--some of our workstations are pretty old.) Lesson learned :D

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Wife is still using a G4 tower from 2000. I upgraded the processors to dual 1.3ghz, updated the vidya, and the original HDD bit it a couple years ago...otherwise it is stock and chugs along quite happily. I need to get her a new machine.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Wife is still using a G4 tower from 2000. I upgraded the processors to dual 1.3ghz, updated the vidya, and the original HDD bit it a couple years ago...otherwise it is stock and chugs along quite happily. I need to get her a new machine.
Ah, yes, I had one of those, too. Quicksilver 733 MHz G4, prior to the "wind tunnel" series that had the speed-holes in the front :rofl:

Mine would be alive and well today were it not for an unfortunate incident while transporting it with Jessica's old car involving a faulty trunk seal and an automated carwash…

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ok, mystery partially solved thanks to a visit to the Genius Bar (gratis, btw, despite my computer being well out of warranty!):

1. The optical drive is indeed dead. To have Apple techs replace the internal one would be $240 thanks to the labor. To buy a new, external drive from newegg would be $40. I think I know what I'm going to pick.

2. My keyboard was to blame for the computer's inability to network boot using Jessica's Macbook's optical drive: I had upgraded to the new, slim keyboard several months ago but apparently there's a firmware bug in it such that older computers such as my mini cannot access the special bootup key sequences (option for boot-drive selection including network, C for optical drive booting, etc.). Switching to an older style keyboard at the Genius Bar fixed that and let the computer boot successfully off their Firewire external "rescue drive."

3. Nothing seems grossly wrong with the internal hard drive itself, the OS X installation, or the remainder of the hardware.

4. The iPhoto problem, which again resolved spontaneously more or less, is as much of a mystery to the Genius Bar tech as it is/was to me. At least it works for now…

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
glad to hear it's going to be an easy fix for you. Gotta love Mac and their Genius Bar
Mac who?

It just works except when it doesn't and you can't fix yourself because of keyboard fail:rofl:

I love it when a place wants to charge $240 to replace a part that cost $47 (newegg shipped cost even - not wholesale, slot loading slim DVD burner) and requires less than a hour labor! More than half of that charge is profit way above reasonable :weee:

I guess you like to bend over?

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The nice Apple Genius behind the bar actually looked up the newegg external drive cost for me right then and there and advised me to go that route. I can't fault them in this case--the "consultation" was free, all relevant options were presented, and I wasn't pressured into anything.

That reminds me that I should go buy that burner from newegg now…

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Sonofa… iPhoto is crashing again. New error code this time. Once that optical drive arrives I'm going to archive and reinstall for sure.

Process: iPhoto [57059]
Path: /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/MacOS/iPhoto
Identifier: com.apple.iPhoto
Version: 8.1.1 (8.1.1)
Build Info: iPhotoProject-4190000~4
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [189]

Date/Time: 2010-03-28 18:26:52.184 -0400
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.2 (10C540)
Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 564987 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 326
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 63190 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 18
Anonymous UUID: 8E676890-6E48-4158-9D5C-C3E9641F786D

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000067010684
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
… and now iPhoto launched again, ran for 20 seconds, then crashed once more. Computers are supposed to be deterministic!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

This isn't good. Whirr is my external/backup drive. I think the ship is going down, taking pieces with it as it sinks.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Alternatively it could be that the optical drive failed (or failed a while ago and I didn't notice), followed by the external drive. The cheap option is to try out that newegg drive in the mail, replace the external drive, and see what ensues.

Gah. This is why I don't like Linux--I like computers but only when they work, and didn't like messing around with things trying to figure out why they didn't function as promised. Sadly Apple isn't immune from failure and glitches, and it is just as aggravating as when a computer of another make has problems.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Now Safari is starting to crash

Process: Safari [88888]
Path: /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari
Identifier: com.apple.Safari
Version: 4.0.5 (6531.22.7)
Build Info: WebBrowser-65312207~1
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [189]

Date/Time: 2010-03-28 23:55:18.292 -0400
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.2 (10C540)
Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 576071 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 360
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 110187 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 2
Anonymous UUID: 8E676890-6E48-4158-9D5C-C3E9641F786D

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000741b2c45
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Alternatively it could be that the optical drive failed (or failed a while ago and I didn't notice), followed by the external drive. The cheap option is to try out that newegg drive in the mail, replace the external drive, and see what ensues.
Turned out that this seems to have been the case: optical drive failed independently of external drive, and the computer was freaking out since the databases for many of the programs (iPhoto, iTunes in particular) lived on the now-corrupt external drive.

The good news is that the external drive survived long enough to salvage its data, and replacing the optical drive with a $48-shipped USB jobbie from newegg worked perfectly without any drivers or even a power cord!

I ended up buying two additional 1.5 TB external drives set up in a striped RAID array as a single 1.5 TB logical volume, copying all the data from the 500 GB (corrupt) external drive over, reformatting the 500 GB drive, and reinstalling Snow Leopard on my internal drive without reformatting.

The combination of these actions cured the problem: no more kernel panics, no more problems with opening apps, and now I have continual Time Machine backups to the 1.5 TB drive and nightly backups of media data from the 1.5 TB drive to the reformatted/renewed 500 GB one.

:thumb: