Quantcast

madmans jerk

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
i have spent years and countless trips to Jamaica to obtain the ultimate jerk chicken and pork recipee....
here goes...
first you need a few chickens or some back ribs. when cleaning them use two lemons or four limes and rub them into the flesh. Add three tbs. of premade hot jerk marinade[grace or bushabrowns] to 1/3 cup soy and add a bunch of fresh thyme and another lemon and mix and baste the cut up meat with a brush.
It is imparative to use a Jamaican made jerk marinade that has scotch bonnet peppers in it. At this point the meat is wet and I apply dry jerk spices I got from jamaica. You can use HY's or Grace but it need kicking up!

Next fire up the barbie or stoke the oven to 500F.

BBQ-char the chicken/pork well and then turn down the BBQ to it's lowest setting and simmer while basting every 15 minutes for at least one hour. You can turn off one side and cook on the other. In the last 1/2 hour mix a tsp katsup with hot sauce and lemon and mix it in the baste dish to retain all flavour.
If you are Jamaican then you must use a drum cut in 1/2 as a barbie.

OVEN- put into the oven after it's warm...500F for 25 minutes with the bird skin side down. Flip and baste as often as possible and at that point[1/2 hour into cooking] you turn the oven down to 275F and gently cook for 2 hours..ecven more...maybe 4 at 250F.
Do the same baste as the BBQ in the last 1/2 hour.
hope this is clear.

addd....rice/peas
1 cup brown rice
2 cups water
1/2 package dry cocconut cream powder
5 sprigs of fresh thyme
2 tsp pineapple hot sauce[I use 5]
1/2 cup beans/peas[canned is ok]
and one tsp of Betty[condensed sweet cream]
mix, bring to a boil and simmer 20 minutes and that's it....add some slaw to the jerk and rice and a great meal is appnin.
enjoy
mm