Quantcast

Mag Brake upgrade?

Nov 9, 2005
I am currently building my 07 giant glory (i will post pics when it is finished later this week) but i have been riding hayes mags hd for 3 years now and they just dont have enough power for me. My friend has a set of lightly used saint brakes with 8 inch rotors and new pads that he will give me for 250. This is a great deal, but i havent purchased them yet because i want to find out what other brakes i could be looking at. I mainly ride dh trails around SB with the occasional race here are there. I dont have a ton of money but i want to know if i can spend money to upgrade my mags to make them on the same level as the saints. Thanks for the help.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
no upgrades that i can think of per say. some people might say the levers but that is not really an up grade. the problem with brakes up grades is that very part relies on the other parts to preform correctly.

have you tried different pads like EBC reds. they have alot more power then the stock pads that is for sure.

on another note the saints are one of those just good brakes anyway you look at it. i don't think the mags will ever live up to the saint standard for power or modulation. not saying their bad just not as good.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
id take the saint option up in a flash

definately much better performing then the mags
interms of both power and modulation

there really isnt much you can do to mags to increase their performance, a lever change will increase your feel,
a different set of brake pads but thats about it. You wont make saints out of them

I think for that price you cant go wrong

Nov 9, 2005
I was heavily leaning towards the saints as well. I havent tried EBC pards though, but i have ridden saint and i know how much power they have compared to the mags.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Saints are an amzing break, powerfull, reliable and easy to fix, one of the best out there...

only way u can really upgrade your Mags is Goodridge Hose's or (and) better break pads...will make the most diffrence,,