Quantcast

Magic gear vs tensioner

bidaci

Chimp
Feb 13, 2006
Fall is coming and all thought's turn to SSing. As I take the gears off again to once again try SS, I have a nagging question I keep asking myself (and never get an answer). So I will ask you......

Is it better to use a chain tensioner and run the perfect gear ratio or is it better to find the magic ratio and compromise the perfect ratio for the perfect build?

I'm leaning toward magic gear, as SS itself will be a compromise.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
Even if you have a "magic gear" that allows you to go without a tensioner, the chain will stretch and wind up being loose within a short amount of time.

If you are using a frame with vertical dropouts and a derailleur hanger, just go for the tensioner and save yourself the headaches. You can then run the gear that is best for riding, not the one that is best for chain length.

ManxMonkey

Chimp
Nov 21, 2006
As above really, plus depending on the chainstay length and gearing you choose you might never be able to find a "magic ratio".

Actually, I wouldn't bother faffing around stripping all the gearey stuff off your bike just to have a singlespeed for winter use. I'd build one up from scratch - if you hunt around for used stuff you'll be surprised how cheaply you can do it.

Plus, you can remove all the cable stops that you don't need and end up with something much tidier. At some time you might want to consider one of those "Excentriker" BB conversions, if you end up with a frame you really like.

Here's one of my SS's - only new items were chain, tyres and grips.

Attachments

SquadraCorse

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Ridgefield CT
I rock the YESS tensioner on my SS freeride bike and I absolutely love it. It's a bit pricey, but a nice piece IMO. Loops the chain around like a derailleur, so you get a nice controllable tension. Plus it mounts to the axle and der. hanger. So 2 points instead of 1, Unlike like the cheaper tensioners.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
That looks similiar to the DMR tensioner I used to run. I don't know about the YESS one, but I had problems with the tension adjustment bolt slipping over time and the chain detensioning.

SquadraCorse

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Ridgefield CT
That looks similiar to the DMR tensioner I used to run. I don't know about the YESS one, but I had problems with the tension adjustment bolt slipping over time and the chain detensioning.
The tension is set by the load on the spring between the two body components. A "slipping" bolt is a pretty easy fix....