Quantcast

Magnesium Frames

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Anyone know anything about mag frames? I have an opportunity to pick one up locally for dirt cheap, but I'm concerned, as I don't know anything about it other than it's quite light (sub 3lbs). Not much info is available online, except from the frame's manufacturer, Paketa, and I'm not too trusting of that. Anyone had experience/can guide me in the right direction?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Only bit of info I can find, from http://www2.sjsu.edu/orgs/asmtms/artcle/exotic.htm:

Magnesium

Imagine a metal with half the density of aluminum, strength better than 6061, and elongation around 10 to 11 percent. I'm describing a magnesium alloy here, currently being tested by Easton. While magnesium is not normally known for its ductility, Easton says the material looks promising with those 10 to 11 percent elongation numbers. Although the modulus is low, in the range of 6MSI, that really shouldn't be an insurmountable problem. Aluminum has a relatively low modulus, but it doesn't mean an aluminum frame can't be built stiff. The same will hold true for magnesium, in fact a lower modulus would be welcome in the eyes of many.

One issue that needs to be addressed with this metal is the extreme problem with corrosion. Leave a magnesium part out in the rain and it will disappear faster than just about anything except unpainted steel. This problem can be overcome with proper surface treatment, like painting or anodization.

One of the intangible benefits of magnesium is that if you need to start a fire for some reason, just scrape some flakes off your dropouts, and light them up. They'll easily burn. For the mini- Hindenburg effect, just add water. The oxygen and hydrogen in the water disassociate, and party down with help from the magnesium. By the way, titanium does the same thing, but it's a little harder to get it started.

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
i rode a similar frame for a while. Held up great, and it was simply the lightest thing in the world. I think it came out to around 2.5 lbs for a small size frame. It's still sitting around, just not built up anymore... held up to my 190 lbs doing trials and w hat not.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Magnesium has strength and weight properties that are similar to Aluminum, maybe a little better strength to weight ratio. But like any bike part the devil is in the details of how well it is designed and built. Magnesium is not used that much because of it's flamability. I saw the results of a magnesium fire in a cnc machine and it was not pretty.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i wanna see one of those catching fire!!!...

on the other hand i wonder.. how hot is has to be to light magnesium??? i´ve seen mag rims on cars with glowing brake discs and they didnt burst into flames... i guess the temp at which they catch fire must be pretty high.....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Most fork lowers are magnesium so no reason to think a mag frame is a fire hazard. Any metal will burn at some point. Some fine steel wool, a match and some huffing and puffing will result in some serious heat.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Westy said:
Most fork lowers are magnesium so no reason to think a mag frame is a fire hazard. Any metal will burn at some point. Some fine steel wool, a match and some huffing and puffing will result in some serious heat.
Use the contact points of a battery with steel wool and you can have a lot of fun. Don't ever store the two items in the same drawer.....

Magnesium powder will flash and explode real quick, quite fun if you have alot of it.

The Ito

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Get it and do grinds on the roughest concrete you can find...make sure to post vids.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Westy said:
lowers burn nicely!!!!

BURNINATOR!!! BURNINATION!!!!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
ito said:
Use the contact points of a battery with steel wool and you can have a lot of fun. Don't ever store the two items in the same drawer.....

Magnesium powder will flash and explode real quick, quite fun if you have alot of it.

The Ito
You can use magnesium to ignite thermite. You can do some real damage with thermite, and it is not that hard to make.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
We used to sell them at a shop I worked for in AZ back in the late nineties. Saw a bunch of failures around the seat tube area, but it was probably just poor design and not any fault of the magnesium.

They were damn light! ~2.6 pounds. Can't remember the name on them, but they were out of Hungary. I want to say Lodestar or something like that. From what I heard, they rode pretty well.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
just dont ride with me if youve got a magnesium frame. ill be chasing after you with a lighter. :devil:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
have your local welder weld some disc bosses... and dont tell him is magnessium...

but seriously, i think they are too light to gamble putting some disc tabs on them..

how much are they selling for blue where you say you can get them locally??

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
ALEXIS_DH said:
have your local welder weld some disc bosses... and dont tell him is magnessium...

but seriously, i think they are too light to gamble putting some disc tabs on them..

how much are they selling for blue where you say you can get them locally??
Bwaha. I like it.

"Horrifying magnesium explosion at weld fabricator kills 14, story at 11"

They're going for 150 from that same guy on eBay. However, if I want a scuffed silver one, I'm gonna pay 130. I want a yellow one though...mmm. Before I was deep into mtbing, about 3 years ago at a shop they had a yellow Salt Cycles hanging on the wall and I thought to myself "Wow, those mountain bikers are crazy to pay that much for not even a whole bike". I think it was around $1k.

It's cheap enough that I wouldn't be worried if the discs broke it. I'd consider selling my XT stuff and going to v-brakes, but the fork I'd be using is disc-only, and disc front/v-brake back looks weird... :p

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Got one. 19 inch, yellow, I'm guessing it will be here on...Thursday, unless the seller agrees to a local pickup.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I just sold it to a guy in Austria over eBay.

The mag frame is here and not built...i've been tooling around on my gf's Azonic for the past 3 weeks. I need a headset and seatpost before I can do anything.

I've met guys at races that have had the mag frames and they loved them...only problem was the lack of disc mounts and that if you don't penetrate the seattube enough with the post, the frame cranks.