Quantcast

Magnetic pedals

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Interesting concept. I know that some of neobedyum magnets and rare earth magnets are almost impossible to pull directly apart. Only way to separate them is to slide them off. My only quib might be how durable are they. Will the magnets stay on or remain undamaged when it has a violent collision with a rock or my head. May be worth more investigation.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Thanks for the insight guys! Way to e-speculate...

I think it looks like an interesting idea. Especially if it provides more float than standard pedals. But, I'll bet it's not easy to determine how strong the magnet should be. Since when is having your foot stuck in a pedal while crashing not a problem?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I don't really like riding clipped in but one thing I like about being clipped in is that I can push my foot forward as the crank approaches 3 o'clock and pull my foot back as the crank approaches 9 o'clock, with a magnet you will slide your foot right off the pedal if you try that, with the magnets you have to keep your foot perpendicular to the direction of the force. It's a neat idea in a junior high science fair kind of way.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
my curiousity is with the durability. one of the issues with strong magnets has been that if you let them attract to one another quickly, they can shatter. is it the same case with these? bizarre idea, but if someone were to be able to get different strength magnets to suit his particular preferences on release, it could be a good idea.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Thanks for the insight guys! Way to e-speculate...

I think it looks like an interesting idea. Especially if it provides more float than standard pedals. But, I'll bet it's not easy to determine how strong the magnet should be. Since when is having your foot stuck in a pedal while crashing not a problem?
Did you put your order in for a set? Get back with a review.

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
I want to make a system that you can engage with just a thought in your head, electric magnet pedal "clip" type device. Who's with me?:monkeydance:

Rover Nick

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
It just seems like a new and not improved version on clipless. How is that making them any better if you still have to twist your foot off to the side? I give them props for trying something new, but there are still a few flaws

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Or they sense when your gonna crash and release 0.000000005 seconds before impact!
:lighten: how bout a sensor in the grip and brake lever. When the sensor sees no grip and the brake lever not actuated, then the electro magnets power down. (sorry, my inner engiNERD just made an appearance)