Quantcast

Magura gustav problem

yearoftiger

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bay Area
I just bought a brand new set of 2001 Magura Gustav brakes. The problem is that when I put the rear caliper on my 2005 V10(new style), the Gustav 6" adapter's 2nd bolt hole(to screw in to the rear brake tabs) doesn't match up exactly with those of the frame's brake tab holes. The first bolt hole of the adapter fits fine. The actual gustav brake caliper seems to keep the adapter's bolt hole(2nd hole) from matching up exactly with the frame holes since it blocks the adapter from aligning correctly. The adapter came with the set so it should work fine. I believe 2005 v10 frames can accept magura gustav 6"s. It seems like it came with a defective adapter? These brakes are new and I believe the brake tabs are straight. Is it possible to have a defectively made adapter? Please let me know what is the problem. thanks....

UPDATE:
So i was searchin online and found this http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PREREL/prhtml01/01200.html
Scroll all the way down....I just bought these exact brakes and found that these Magura gustavs were recalled? Can anyone confirm if this recall is legit? And if so, how can Magura help me?

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
I just bought a brand new set of 2001 Magura Gustav brakes. The problem is that when I put the rear caliper on my 2005 V10(new style), the Gustav 6" adapter's 2nd bolt hole(to screw in to the rear brake tabs) doesn't match up exactly with those of the frame's brake tab holes. The first bolt hole of the adapter fits fine. The actual gustav brake caliper seems to keep the adapter's bolt hole(2nd hole) from matching up exactly with the frame holes since it blocks the adapter from aligning correctly. The adapter came with the set so it should work fine. I believe 2005 v10 frames can accept magura gustav 6"s. It seems like it came with a defective adapter? These brakes are new and I believe the brake tabs are straight. Is it possible to have a defectively made adapter? Please let me know what is the problem. thanks....
What's the number on the caliper adaptor?

yearoftiger

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bay Area
do you have any pics?
I'll try to get pics by tonight. Somebody help!!! I thought all frame rear brake tabs were the same no??? I was told that the rear brake adapter was for an international standard. I tried to fiddle with the 3mm allen screw on the caliper that allows it to slide, and the two brake tabs allign corrrecty on the frame allowing me to screw the caliper to the frame in but the problem with that is that once its been mounted, the caliper gets in the way of allowing the rotor(on the wheel) to enter into the brake pad area. Sorry if its confusin...kinda hard to describe....but any help at all would be appreciated. thanks

yearoftiger

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bay Area
do you have any pics?[/QUOTE

So finally, here are the pics so you guys can tell me what i need to get the caliper to fit? Should i dremmel it? The caliper(the lower side with the lower screw), not adapter, is what prevents me from aligning the frame's brake tabs and the adapter holes. I need help!!! I'm gonna call Magura to see if they can hook me up with a different adapter since its kinda falsely advertising a brake that states you can use a brake adapter #8 to fit frames but in this case it doesnt. let me know what u think. As always, thanks in adavanced.

Wobbler

Monkey
Jan 22, 2006
Looks like the mount on the frame is too thick in that area, get the larger rear adaptor (210 rotor) or just a +20 or whatever it is rear adaptor and run an 8 inch rotor.

yearoftiger

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bay Area
thing is I would buy the rear 8" adapter but, its like $92 dollars more!!! I wanna see if I can work my way around this w/o having to spend anymore dough on the brakes. thanks...

Wobbler

Monkey
Jan 22, 2006
You would be lucky to get this resolved without spending any money. Something like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13751

will bump the rear rotor out to an 8 inch, so run a hayes etc. Not 100% sure on the clearance using one of these will check with a mate who used an 8 inch on his rear gustav.
edit, slight bit of trimming of the adaptor required to clear the caliper. Not a biggy apparently.

Call magura about the recalled levers.

yearoftiger

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bay Area
You would be lucky to get this resolved without spending any money. Something like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13751

will bump the rear rotor out to an 8 inch, so run a hayes etc. Not 100% sure on the clearance using one of these will check with a mate who used an 8 inch on his rear gustav.
edit, slight bit of trimming of the adaptor required to clear the caliper. Not a biggy apparently.

Call magura about the recalled levers.
Hey thanks a lot Wobbler for the suggestion....if u can get a hold of your friend, ask him if it works since he has gustavs. I need all the info i can get. Does anyone know if that adapter will work fine with a 203mm rotor?

yearoftiger

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bay Area
Does anyone know if a shimano adapter will solve my problem?!?!?!? I would assume it might work since its a regular 6"adapter connected to the gustav caliper and ur just adding an 8" adapter for a standard 6" brake. Somebody help please!!!

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
you could probably dremel that forward hole on the actual brake adapter a bit to have the caliper sit back the way you want it. I used to have a front shimano adapter like that. As long as you check the torque on the bolt from time to time it should be fine. Youre not missing your mark by much so all your milling would be minor.
And even if its slightly misaligned its a gustav in the rear...

freakrock

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Santiago de Chile
Any 6" to 8" IS adapter that's got enough clearance for the caliper Should allow you to run an 8" rotor without any kind of trouble.

if you really want to run the 6" disc, i think you could use a dremel to slim down the mountings until you gain the little bit of clearance that's bugging you. since they seem to be a little bit overbuilt, i don't think 1 or 2 mm would do any harm. Don't forget to give the edges a round and smooth finish.