Quantcast

magura gustav question

yearoftiger

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bay Area
Hey,
So i'm buildin up a 2005 santa cruz v10 and im plannin to hit north* up with it. I weigh around 185lbs and was wondering if a rear magura gustav with a 160mm brake rotor will be enough brake for downhill needs? If i buy a set, they'll be coming with 190mm in front and 160mm in back. Second question, I'm gonna be having an 2005 888 up front, if the set comes with an I.S. 190mm adapter, will that fit my 888 correctly or do I need to buy another adapter to fit 190mm. let me know what ya think. thanks!

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
you wont have any problems with power in the rear...its a very powerful brake but when it does get hot it has a nasty temper...make sure their bled properly...

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
they come with a 5 year leakproof warrenty. i wouldn't touch em. if they need bleeding then send em back.

yearoftiger

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bay Area
Thanks for all the info. The set I just bought on ebay today were a 2001. Are there any problems/gripes with the 2001 gustav levers?

TankerX

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
The best place Fo Sho
You won't need an adapter unless the fork is post mount which i know the older 888's are not. You might need to space it out w/ the spacers it will come with. The 160mm is plenty of power, just ride it out first and if u feel it's not enough, get a larger rotor! Good luck, those are still good brakes even though they're 2001's.

Rob Munro

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
You won't need an adapter unless the fork is post mount which i know the older 888's are not. You might need to space it out w/ the spacers it will come with. The 160mm is plenty of power, just ride it out first and if u feel it's not enough, get a larger rotor! Good luck, those are still good brakes even though they're 2001's.
I'm mounting the gustav to an '04 888 with a #11 adapter. I'm going to need those spacers you mentioned. Can I use regular washers and longer bolts from Ace Hardware? I bought my gustavs on ebay too, then had to bend over for the $90 adapter. Haven't even mounted them and I'm sick of throwing money into these things.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
you will want the super super thin spacers. I don't know if they are Magura specific. I wouldnt think so. you can probably have your LBS order brake caliper spacers. Keep the gustav floating assemble clean so it will "float" obstruction free. Space the cailiper so that the rotor hits right inbetween the two brake pads and you are done. simple as that. the pads will rub the rotor no matter what but it is ok. it will not drag you down or hear it while riding. just alittle "skuff, skuff" sound when you spin the wheel freely. no big deal.

I love my Gustavs but i think that the new '08 Avid, Magnesium bodied code is a Gustav killer. Much lighter, just as powerful, no $100 adapter costs and ALOT more adjustments.

Rob Munro

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
thanks Jimmy. I think something's up with mine. The gap I'd need to close is about 1/4". Way beyond the realm of fine tuning. I contacted the Magura rep who recommended the #11 adapter. I'll let you all know what he suggests.

Rover Nick

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Why would you pay shipping and wait for a very long time just to get your brakes bled? Even if it is warrantied.

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
The warranty covers leaks, not a poor factory bleed. Are you so incompetent that you can't bleed your own brakes?
no, i've bled many.

i've had magura and they sent me out a new master cylinder and everything and it had a small cable leak. :happydance:

im just saying, its sweet that they do that and i think anyone who can should take advantage of it.:cheers: