Quantcast

Majesty

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Swapping parts right now.... new bottom bracket and headset, the rest is off of my Giant. Going to try 28/12 and 25/11 to see how the chain lengths work out.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Still need to cut the steer tube.....
Chainstay is 15-1/16"
25/11 worked PERFECTLY, it's really close to slammed, no half link.
BB height is at 12-1/4" with the DMR, which I think is 435mm a2c.

Last edited:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
How does it compare the that STP? shorter, taller, faster, heavier, etc?

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
How does it compare the that STP? shorter, taller, faster, heavier, etc?
The BB is about 3/4" taller. The chainstays are 1" shorter. The front end is a little shorter, but along the donwntube, the top tubes are practically identical. The steel frame is a little heavier, but not by much. It weighs 4.9 lbs.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
. . . . Going to try 28/12 and 25/11 to see how the chain lengths work out.

Nice build, man !

Now that dropout slots are so short and everyone wants their wheel almost slammed, frame manufacturers should tell you exactly which gear ratios and half-link or no-half-link will put your wheel in certain spots in the dropout, IMO.....

If I worked at a mail order place with access to a stack of parts... I would rig up some kind of jig, getting several brands of chain, a stack of sprockets and cogs and making a chart that shows EXACTLY where your axle will be with different combinations. This would also enable people to rig up SS on a vertical dropout frame without having to get a tensioner setup.

It's not that hard. The trial and error thing is kinda lame when you are mail ordering stuff and you want it to build up exactly right from the get go. I can't complain cuz I just drive down to EMPIRE, but I know it sucks for other people. Not everyone wants an all-half link chain like a KHE or SHADOW (although I like mine). Single half-links always break....

Last edited:

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Nice build, man !

Now that dropout slots are so short and everyone wants their wheel almost slammed, frame manufacturers should tell you exactly which gear ratios and half-link or no-half-link will put your wheel in certain spots in the dropout, IMO.....

If I worked at a mail order place with access to a stack of parts... I would rig up some kind of jig, getting several brands of chain, a stack of sprockets and cogs and making a chart that shows EXACTLY where your axle will be with different combinations. This would also enable people to rig up SS on a vertical dropout frame without having to get a tensioner setup.

It's not that hard. The trial and error thing is kinda lame when you are mail ordering stuff and you want it to build up exactly right from the get go. I can't complain cuz I just drive down to EMPIRE, but I know it sucks for other people. Not everyone wants an all-half link chain like a KHE or SHADOW (although I like mine). Single half-links always break....
You and I think a LOT alike... I started a thread over at mtbr on this very subject yesterday.
I was thinking it would be really sweet if we had some kind of calculator for different chainring combos and how they work out with chainstay lengths.
Lacking that, maybe we could build a bit of a database here.... I'm looking for measurements from center of bb spindle to center of axle, full link chain (or half link too, but full is the best) with tight chains, no tensioners or anything. I'll start out with the 2 I know:

32/16 full link, 16" chainstay.
25/11 full link, 15-1/16"

A full link should move your axle about 1/2". With enough info, it should make it easy to determine the optimum gear combos for different chainstay lengths.
No one has replied, maybe we should try it here as well?

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
First run on the dirt jumps! Handles like a dream..... I can't think of anything I would change on this frame at all.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Stylin' a little bit on that last set! Looks good. I like how you included yourself running away from the camera after pressing record. Classy.
Yeah, I got a little excited... overshot the first jump a couple of times in my haste to get on film too.
I hope to tackle the middle line today! The last couple of times I've been down there, I've been by myself. The trails are absolutley perfect too, no dust, everything nice and smooth.