Quantcast

Major Snowshoe Mountain announcement

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
That's awesome. I love that side of the mountain, but always hated having to time runs right to get down to the bottom of the mountain when the bus was leaving or else risk waiting for 30-45 minutes at the bottom.

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
Yeah they should look into staging a John Henry-esque race up the mountain, where Carey tries to beat the lift to the top with his bus. Man w/machine v. Machine. Epic.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Matt has successfully derailed this thread twice now...once here and once in the South forum. BUT...there's still one left in the VA forum. You better get over there fast before someone else brings the pain! :busted:

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Brad, keep pushin! Glad to hear the good news, it will be greatly appreciated, I'll be sure to make it up this summer! Haven't seen ya in too long....

Great write up in this months decline as well!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
This is truely great news for the east coast i was losing faith in snowshoe with all of the up and coming programs here in the east.

Like asked above are there finally going to be trail improvements happening? New features on both sides of the mountain? It seems it hasnt changed much at all especially on the basin side since it opened 5 years ago or whatever. Is anyone listening?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
As much as I like new race courses, I would like to see some new trails at the risk of racing old courses. But keep up the great work and see you guys this summer with my season pass in hand.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
As much as I like new race courses, I would like to see some new trails at the risk of racing old courses. But keep up the great work and see you guys this summer with my season pass in hand.
I would like to see a run like A-line or Dominion top to bottom. something that I can ride at the end of the day when my arms are blown up. Run Powerline to the top.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I would like to see a run like A-line or Dominion top to bottom. something that I can ride at the end of the day when my arms are blown up. Run Powerline to the top.
FOR REAL i totally agree...

and one that actually drains that you could ride on a hardtail and smooth stuff...like a line or dominion...

Powerline would be blast if it could dry out so you can actually hit some of the stuff. Powerline top to bottom = the joint

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
If SS had some trails that were more Dominion/Apline Esq then I would go theres more often. Y
exactly, i know there is a bunch of guys on the board that scream and yell about how much fun giant rock gardens are (which they are every now and then), but the truth of it is many riders i know dont like to ride that stuff all day.

Especially the younger crop of riders coming up, all the guys around here spend tons of time on dominion/alpine when we are at diablo, and a-line/dirt merchant at whistler...Not advocating bmx tracks but those fast lines with fun drops and hits are crowd pleasers...Someone at snowshoe please listen...There are tons of rocky nasty dh trails at ss...

KevinR86

Chimp
Aug 13, 2006
Williamsburg VA
yeah, honestly i love snowshoe because of the gnar factor. lots of rocks, roots, tech trails like hairball, mud is always complicating things, and the basin is crazy fun for short runs after a long day of the western territory. i like powerline and all, but i can jump my bike at the local trails or skatepark. i go to snowshoe to ride their more traditional stuff.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yeah, honestly i love snowshoe because of the gnar factor. lots of rocks, roots, tech trails like hairball, mud is always complicating things, and the basin is crazy fun for short runs after a long day of the western territory. i like powerline and all, but i can jump my bike at the local trails or skatepark. i go to snowshoe to ride their more traditional stuff.
Totally valid, but i know alot of people that wouldnt ride any of the those trails, not because they cant, they just dont find it fun. I like running those sketch trails as well but it is also fun as hell to hit big wall rides and table tops like mentioned above when your arms are dead...

How sick would it be to have an air dh type race at the shoe? :monkeydance:

stoneysnake

Monkey
May 24, 2002
easy living, wv
Totally valid, but i know alot of people that wouldnt ride any of the those trails, not because they cant, they just dont find it fun. I like running those sketch trails as well but it is also fun as hell to hit big wall rides and table tops like mentioned above when your arms are dead...

How sick would it be to have an air dh type race at the shoe? :monkeydance:
Not sure when the last time you were on the mountain was but we are definitely on the same page as you. Last year we made significant changes in our trail network with 3 months of machine work. Our last race course had 2 thirty foot roadgaps and 6 other stepdown/jumps/drops and was pretty well machine groomed from top to bottom making it pretty much an air/speed type of dh race. This season we will continue to advance our trail network in the direction of flow/groomed runs with at least 3 more months of machine work. Thanks for the comments!

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Not sure when the last time you were on the mountain was but we are definitely on the same page as you. Last year we made significant changes in our trail network with 3 months of machine work. Our last race course had 2 thirty foot roadgaps and 6 other stepdown/jumps/drops and was pretty well machine groomed from top to bottom making it pretty much an air/speed type of dh race. This season we will continue to advance our trail network in the direction of flow/groomed runs with at least 3 more months of machine work. Thanks for the comments!
Brad, thanks for all the hard work you do!!! Whatever you and your crew design, build, machine groom, or whatever masochistic rock garden you route in to a trail or race course.....it's always amazing and it's always greatly appreciated. Whatever you present us with for 2008, be it groomed or gnar, I'll happily ride it and continue to be greatful that it's there. I know it doesn't happen overnight and I know you guys are listening to all the input, both postive and negative.......and you probably don't hear it enough, but THANK YOU!

Groomed trails are fun, but east coast rock gardens will never get old!!!!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I think the last time i was on the mountain would have been mid last season during a race weekend (we weren't racing) so we were dodging riders doing practice runs and didn't get the full affect on the trails you are talking about.

Definitely props to you guys for the work you are doing i love coming to ride snowshoe. It just seemed last season that things were getting run down (i was hearing this from other riders as well). Thirty foot road gaps are not my gig personally but definitely rad...

I think trails like diablo's tempest trail are what i am talking about, total mix of rock, man made, and jumps...just all around fun...Again not bagging on snowshoe the announcement is awesome and should bring alot more riders in. Keep it up, the east coast is looking prime for summer of '08.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
yeah, obviously the popularity of Whistler and A-Line are "H to tha OMO" as listed above... Obviously the most popular "MOUNTAIN" biking resort in the world has it all wrong, on that note I guess every person there paying good money weekend and out to ride there and take flights from all over the world to ride there have it all wrong too! Think before you speak. This is a Business, with out money it stops!

Not everyone rides a 8"+ bike, also not everyone shares your sentiment of what's actually fun, the resort should not be catered towards one style of riding, after all it's a "MOUNTAIN" bike (specializing in all "MOUNTAIN" biking) resort in the summer or at least that's the direction I think we would all like to see it go.

Stop being close minded; the "MOUNTAIN" needs more variety... the more variety, the more popular the mountain becomes. This means that more money comes in, in turn that means more trails get built/maintained, this also means more trails of all variety can be ridden by all, which means the more people that snowshoe can hire to maintain said trails (and maybe actually give decent pay too so they can actually afford to live/work on the "MOUNTAIN"). This will also mean that the facilities/marketing towards "MOUNTAIN" bikers gets better. You better go along with it or watch the resort fall behind catering to one aspect of riding, not a good business decision.

From the comments alone in this thread, there is obviously a great demand for said type of groomed A-Line style trails. Stop being close minded! I like ripping singletrack first and foremost, I love ripping berms, I like jumping my bike, I like rock gardens and roots, I like hauling ass. I like every aspect of "Mountain" biking and really like the growth the sport is taking. For those stuck on one aspect, have fun getting left behind in the passed of "traditional" "MOUNTAIN" biking. The sport is growing you need to grow with it! The "MOUNTAIN" has to meet the demands of the "MOUNTAIN" bikers or else it fails! simple.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yeah, obviously the popularity of A-Line and Whistler are "H to tha OMO" as listed above... Obviously the most popular "MOUNTAIN" biking resort in the world has it all wrong, on that note I guess every person there paying good money weekend and out to ride there and take flights from all over the world to ride there have it all wrong too! Think before you speak. This is a Business, with out money it stops!

Not everyone rides a 8"+ bike, also not everyone shares your sentiment of what's actually fun, the resort should not be catered towards one style of riding, after all it's a "MOUNTAIN" bike (specializing in all "MOUNTAIN" biking) resort in the summer or at least that's the direction I think we would all like to see it go.

Stop being close minded; the "MOUNTAIN" needs more variety... the more variety, the more popular the mountain becomes. This means that more money comes in, in turn that means more trails get built/maintained, this means more trails of all variety can be ridden by all, means the more people that snowshoe can hire to maintain said trails (and maybe actually give decent pay too so they can actually afford to live/work on the "MOUNTAIN"), this will also mean that the facilities/marketing towards "MOUNTAIN" bikers gets better. You better go along with it or watch the resort fall behind catering to one aspect of riding, not a good business decision.

From the comments alone in this thread, there is obviously a great demand for said type of groomed A-Line style trails. Stop being close minded! I like ripping singletrack first and foremost, I like jumping my bike, I like rock gardens and roots, I like hauling ass. I like every aspect of "Mountain" biking and really like the growth the sport is taking. For those stuck on one aspect, have fun getting left behind in the passed of "traditional" "MOUNTAIN" biking. The sport is growing you need to grow with it! The "MOUNTAIN" has to meet the demands of the "MOUNTAIN" bikers or else it fails! simple.
f'ing rad comments man...:thumb:whistler has no idea what they are doing...i agree...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
lol amen brotha.
For everyone wanting to ride a sidewalk from the top to bottom, there is always the Greenbrier River Trail you can go ride instead. It's free, and basically a paved-over old railroad bed. I'm sure it's flat, smooth, surface will prevent any real riding you may encounter at a "MOUNTAIN" biking resort!
so hardcore...were you listening to hatebreed when you wrote that? I bet you were...:clapping:

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
yeah, obviously the popularity of A-Line and Whistler are "H to tha OMO" as listed above... Obviously the most popular "MOUNTAIN" biking resort in the world has it all wrong, on that note I guess every person there paying good money weekend and out to ride there and take flights from all over the world to ride there have it all wrong too! Think before you speak. This is a Business, with out money it stops!

Stop being close minded; the "MOUNTAIN" needs more variety... the more variety, the more popular the mountain becomes. This means that more money comes in, in turn that means more trails get built/maintained, this also means more trails of all variety can be ridden by all, which means the more people that snowshoe can hire to maintain said trails (and maybe actually give decent pay too so they can actually afford to live/work on the "MOUNTAIN"). This will also mean that the facilities/marketing towards "MOUNTAIN" bikers gets better. You better go along with it or watch the resort fall behind catering to one aspect of riding, not a good business decision.

From the comments alone in this thread, there is obviously a great demand for said type of groomed A-Line style trails. Stop being close minded! I like ripping singletrack first and foremost, I love ripping berms, I like jumping my bike, I like rock gardens and roots, I like hauling ass. I like every aspect of "Mountain" biking and really like the growth the sport is taking. For those stuck on one aspect, have fun getting left behind in the passed of "traditional" "MOUNTAIN" biking. The sport is growing you need to grow with it! The "MOUNTAIN" has to meet the demands of the "MOUNTAIN" bikers or else it fails! simple.
Guess I struck a nerve there.

3 paragraphs of drivel, you must really love your gravity assisted BMX.

I still say you're an H-to tha muthf*ckin-OMO...give me a 1,000 words on it & have it on my desk by Friday.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
nah man it was just a dumb comment you made, that mindset will hinder the resorts future, I don't think anything I said was written carelessly, fast without much punctuation; sure... but not carelessly. I sincerely care about the future of this resort, it's basically the only resort (lift assisted spot) within a decent amount of driving time from me.

edit: I want to see it grow, not just stay the same and fall behind and constantly be compared to how it's not as great as this resort or that resort.