Quantcast

Majority of Republicans Doubt Theory of Evolution

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I know this should go in the PWN forum, but it seems a little too important/ridiculous to bury down there....

http://www.galluppoll.com/content/?ci=27847

some excerpts:

More Americans accept theory of creationism than evolution

by Frank Newport

GALLUP NEWS SERVICE

PRINCETON, NJ -- The majority of Republicans in the United States do not believe the theory of evolution is true and do not believe that humans evolved over millions of years from less advanced forms of life. This suggests that when three Republican presidential candidates at a May debate stated they did not believe in evolution, they were generally in sync with the bulk of the rank-and-file Republicans whose nomination they are seeking to obtain.

Independents and Democrats are more likely than Republicans to believe in the theory of evolution. But even among non-Republicans there appears to be a significant minority who doubt that evolution adequately explains where humans came from.

The data from several recent Gallup studies suggest that Americans' religious behavior is highly correlated with beliefs about evolution. Those who attend church frequently are much less likely to believe in evolution than are those who seldom or never attend. That Republicans tend to be frequent churchgoers helps explain their doubts about evolution.

The data indicate some seeming confusion on the part of Americans on this issue. About a quarter of Americans say they believe both in evolution's explanation that humans evolved over millions of years and in the creationist explanation that humans were created as is about 10,000 years ago.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I posted this in the PAWN forum earlier today but deleted it, it's not like there haven't been 6,924 threads about evolution in the past 6 months.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Think of how stupid the average person is, then consider that about half the people out there are even dumber than that. Pretty much explains it all I think.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Think of how stupid the average person is, then consider that about half the people out there are even dumber than that. Pretty much explains it all I think.
And just look at all the laws going into place protecting people from their own stupidity (the QR thread). Its making a bad problem even worse. Natural selection has gotten the boot. We're in need of a good natural disaster to keep the population in check because we, as humans, are actively trying to keep the weaker / less able members of the species alive.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
:clapping:

and the average dude DOES eat the DPWM diet, or whatever you called it... if only they only ate nuts and seaweed that washed up non-traumatically on the shore they'd see the light.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
And just look at all the laws going into place protecting people from their own stupidity (the QR thread). Its making a bad problem even worse. Natural selection has gotten the boot. We're in need of a good natural disaster to keep the population in check because we, as humans, are actively trying to keep the weaker / less able members of the species alive.
We are letting people kill themselves just not before the age that they usually procreate.

US causes of death

davidhill

blumpkin catcher
Jan 29, 2007
Greenville, SC
I dont classify myself as either republican or democrat, i have beliefs and morals that cross into both realms of politics. I personally dont believe in evolution, its just too patchy in areas and it doesnt all fit together. That being said, creationism is MUCH more faith based, rather than science/theory based, and for me its just easier to believe in. And when I think about the human body and its perfect design I cant wrap my mind around an idea that says we randomly evolved into what we are. We are just WAY too complex for even millions of years to produce.

This discussion could last for weeks....

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
How could anyone not believe in evolution?

PRINCETON, NJ -- The majority of Republicans in the United States do not believe the theory of evolution is true and do not believe that humans evolved over millions of years from less advanced forms of life.
Evidence of evolutionary skips and gaps walk among us.

How else can you explain Rosie O'Donnell or the View?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I dont classify myself as either republican or democrat, i have beliefs and morals that cross into both realms of politics. I personally dont believe in evolution, its just too patchy in areas and it doesnt all fit together. That being said, creationism is MUCH more faith based, rather than science/theory based, and for me its just easier to believe in. And when I think about the human body and its perfect design I cant wrap my mind around an idea that says we randomly evolved into what we are. We are just WAY too complex for even millions of years to produce.

<smacks head on table>

:disgust1:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I follow the idea of evolution, but I think there was SOMETHING created SOMEWHERE. The idea of dinosaurs being only a few thousand years old because the earth was "created" is an all out crock though.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.

What part don't you get?
South Park said:
Ms. Garrison: All right, kids, it is now my job to teach you the theory of evolution.
Butters: Oh boy!
Ms. Garrison: Now I, for one, think evolution is a bunch of *bullcrap*! But I've been told I have to teach it to you anyway. It was thought up by Charles Darwin and it goes something like this...
[she goes up to a large poster of evolution and begins pointing things out with her pointer]
Ms. Garrison: In the beginning, we were all fish. Okay? Swimming around in the water. And then one day a couple of fish had a retard baby, and the retard baby was different, so it got to live. So Retard Fish goes on to make more retard babies, and then one day, a retard baby fish crawled out of the ocean with its...
[she waves her left hand limply]
Ms. Garrison: ...mutant fish hands... and it had butt sex with a squirrel or something and made this.
[she points to a prehistoric mammal rodent]
Ms. Garrison: Retard frog-sqirrel, and then *that* had a retard baby which was a... monkey-fish-frog... And then this monkey-fish-frog had butt sex with that monkey, and that monkey had a mutant retard baby that screwed another monkey... and that made you!
[she faces the class, with the new girl among them looking around]
Ms. Garrison: So there you go! You're the retarded offspring of five monkeys having butt sex with a fish-squirrel! Congratulations!
Must be the butt sex, we know you didn't get that...

ulockjustice

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006

this simplistic view is the reason people say they dont 'believe' in evolution. read up on the topic before forming a conclusion. this is like saying you dont believe in atoms because you cant see them and the idea of them doesnt make sense to you.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
Originally Posted by davidhill

complex, yes. but perfect? so what do you do with your appendix then? second liver? and try billions of years (roughly 3 to 3.5 i believe). if you look at the physiology of humans and other animals, there really are distinct physical characteristics that indicate a developmental progression! hence, evolution. i will grant you, however, that evolution has yet to explain that very first step: random elements floating around to become proteins and then single celled prokaryotes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
complex, yes. but perfect? so what do you do with your appendix then? second liver? and try billions of years (roughly 3 to 3.5 i believe). if you look at the physiology of humans and other animals, there really are distinct physical characteristics that indicate a developmental progression! hence, evolution. i will grant you, however, that evolution has yet to explain that very first step: random elements floating around to become proteins and then single celled prokaryotes.
exactly. If we're so perfect, then why do we break so easily? And look at other animals, ants can lift several times their own mass, yet some humans are so fat they're lucky to be able to stand and breathe. Yeah, thats perfect.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
exactly. If we're so perfect, then why do we break so easily? And look at other animals, ants can lift several times their own mass, yet some humans are so fat they're lucky to be able to stand and breathe. Yeah, thats perfect.
At least we are not like Pandas, eating such a crappy food source that we barely have the energy to reproduce. Of course they are very endangered and deservedly so, stupid pandas.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
At least we are not like Pandas, eating such a crappy food source that we barely have the energy to reproduce. Of course they are very endangered and deservedly so, stupid pandas.
stupid bastards painted (read 'evolved') themselves into a corner.

that makes me a saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad panda. :busted:

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
If the most powerful country in the world begins to move backwards like this, what does that spell out for the world as a whole? I don't really want to be here if it turns into a theocracy which doesn't believe in science because "it just doesn't make sense".

This country will be in shambles if people start disbelieving science.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA

Where'd you go to high school? If you received any grade in biology other than an F, you'd be the poster kid for "No Child Left Behind" not working...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Actually............the authors would be pretty proud of his 'A' in something like biology.

They're good christian folk remember. His success would validate the 'revised structure' of the material.
I still want to know where he went to high school. You're guessing private Christian school?

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
And when I think about the human body and its perfect design I cant wrap my mind around an idea that says we randomly evolved into what we are. We are just WAY too complex for even millions of years to produce.
Who says evolution is random? Mutations are random, selection is not.

Disclaimer: Before Fluff or MikeD chime in saying that I'm talking about agency, I'm not. This has nothing to do with purpose. Non-randomness is not the same as purpose.