Quantcast

Make a Gamut roller replacement?

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
You might as well buy a new gamut one, the sealed bearings alone will probably cost around $15 without the bolt or plastic piece and the gamut one is made for the guide.

Jensen

Monkey
Apr 30, 2007
UC/SLO,ca
where the hell did you get 31$? call em up, mateo is good people, he will hook you up. has does so for me quite a few times

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
if your going to make one, you should make a toothed one, ala e13, that would roll a bit smoother. That's my only complaint with the gamut guides.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
i got an idea how about you buy a e-thirteen lg1 guide and get rid of that piece of sh*t gamut. sorry i'm kind of bitter towards gamut right now i use to be a gamut support till last weekend . i'm having a great dh race run and i go into a rocky technical section and what do you know the first time i've dropped a chain with a gamut would happen to be on my race run. i finished an impressive 22nd thanks to gamut .

Jensen

Monkey
Apr 30, 2007
UC/SLO,ca
i got an idea how about you buy a e-thirteen lg1 guide and get rid of that piece of sh*t gamut. sorry i'm kind of bitter towards gamut right now i use to be a gamut support till last weekend . i'm having a great dh race run and i go into a rocky technical section and what do you know the first time i've dropped a chain with a gamut would happen to be on my race run. i finished an impressive 22nd thanks to gamut .

maybe set it up right. havent dropped a chain on my 3 gamut-equipt bikes in over 2 yrs.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
If its set up right there's no way it could drop. Other than the boomerang bending under the bottombracket.

And E.13 lies about their weights too (no surprise there). LG1 without a taco is heavier than a gamut.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
maybe set it up right. havent dropped a chain on my 3 gamut-equipt bikes in over 2 yrs.
i thought i had it set up right. the white part on the top roller is suppose to rub the chain right ? a friend told me i have to put washers on the inside to make this happen. is this true ? i really don't want to buy a e-thirteen if that's all it takes to solve the problem.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Well not rubbing but maybe 1-2mm off. How about the bottom roller? Did you have it screwed out to about the same tolerance? With the locking nut, you don't have to use washers, just thread it out the the right spot then lock the nut down. Also, it is best to space the backplate as far as you can, then do the rest of the spacing with the top guide and roller.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
A lathe and a cheap skateboard wheel w/bearings and it would take 10 min. My friend just sold his lathe and moved though...terrible.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
Gamut supplies their guides with a bunch of plastic washers that are for aligning the upper piece, they are lock onto the bolt threads for easier instalation. If your gamut is set up properly you should never drop a chain, I wish i could say that about e13. To the oridinal poster just call gamut, I wouldn't worry to much about not running the lower roller, my friend rode for a few months without one including a few weeks at northstar and didn't have a problem.