Quantcast

Make sure your sneakers are well protected...

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
"Got my Vans on but they look like sneakers."

I started wearing Vans to work awhile back (supposed to be business casual)... I like to think of it as a small way of saying "fyck off" to the man.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Before I got my Sidis I'd ever gotten more than a year out of a pair of mountain bike shoes. They're 2+ years old and still going strong. Plus they're incredibly comfortable.
:cheers:

I still have my Dominator 2's that are probably 8 years old now. You would never know it either. They're in great shape.

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland

I am wearing my untiffany's today.

I don't have too huge of a shoe collection, but I do pick up releases that I really like (as in, I like them and not because of the hype). The resellers are really the ones who have ruined it for everyone. Camping out for 3 days and buying everything up to flip them on ebay or whatever.

I agree about the 'what the dunk' tho (those ones shown for $3k)...fugly as hell. They are an interesting concept since they take the elements of all the biggest hyped SB's in the past and put them all together, but the end product looks horrible.

I know people camped out for days to get these though, since they knew they could flip them at a 10x profit.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I am wearing my untiffany's today.

I don't have too huge of a shoe collection, but I do pick up releases that I really like (as in, I like them and not because of the hype). The resellers are really the ones who have ruined it for everyone. Camping out for 3 days and buying everything up to flip them on ebay or whatever.

I agree about the 'what the dunk' tho (those ones shown for $3k)...fugly as hell. They are an interesting concept since they take the elements of all the biggest hyped SB's in the past and put them all together, but the end product looks horrible.

I know people camped out for days to get these though, since they knew they could flip them at a 10x profit.
I just find it funny that Nike has taken designs from the 80's (no design costs at all) and some ugly scrap fabric they bought on clearance in bulk, pay some sweatshop $.10 a pair to make and sell them for what amounts to pure profit because they are "limited edition" or whatever.

I can almost understand why a pair of modern basketball shoes cost over $100 because of the amount of development involved. But the SB's are total recycles and then made with fabrics nobody would pay for otherwise.

I guess in a sense they are saving the planet. I know some of those prints would wind up in landfills were it not for the SB.

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
Shrug, I read a report somewhere a few years back that was profiling Nike's most expensive basketball shoe (don't remember the model, the foamposites or something) and the total production cost ended up being like $5.00.

My whole point was, a shoe like that 'what the dunk' was only a $100 release in the first place (general release SB's/dunks are less than that). Nike isn't getting the $2k+ per pair, that's all reseller money.

*Also a note, I hate SB's personally.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Shrug, I read a report somewhere a few years back that was profiling Nike's most expensive basketball shoe (don't remember the model, the foamposites or something) and the total production cost ended up being like $5.00.

My whole point was, a shoe like that 'what the dunk' was only a $100 release in the first place (general release SB's/dunks are less than that). Nike isn't getting the $2k+ per pair, that's all reseller money.
Nike is seeing a lot more of that money than you think. Not any seller can be an "SB authorized dealer" to start with. I am sure that Nike has something to do with the resale market as well, or at least the employees do.

When you talk "total production cost" I would guess that is just the cost of materials and manufacturing. I know when I worked at Nike that there was a lot of time and money spent on R&D for a lot of the shoe lines.

Don't get me wrong, my original Jordans were awesome, but I never paid more than $35 for a pair either. I must have gone through 6 pairs my Sophomore year of high school.

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
SB = skate shops only (and even then there is a bunch of criteria to meet, but a non skate affiliated store can't have SB account). After that there are different nike accounts depending on your area, proximity to other retailers, etc. Thats the reason a place like HUF in SF gets stuff that a place like foot locker would never see.

Obviously the dunks/af1/sb dunks don't have any R&D costs anymore, but the collaboration artists are still getting paid (supposedly pretty well).

As far as nike employees taking shoes and ebaying them, I am sure that happens. My point was that (still using the what the dunk example) the shoe was not being sold by nike at $2k...that was the hype market on ebay/craigslist/etc that did that. I know someone who camped out for the spizike jordan release and bought 8 pairs in random sizes. Sold them the next day at 2.5x what he paid...which is riduculous.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Jack is going to make some money of those shoes. It's like collecting star wars action figures or sports memorabilia. In mint condition they sell for obscene amounts of money.
at least my money hole/hobby (record collecting) allows me to enjoy and use the actual product.

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
^^^ also the untifannys even with HK shipping only cost me $105, I have never paid more then $200 for a pair of shoes in my life (and that doesn't even really count cuz they were snowboard boots).

I don't understand the obsessive compulsive camp out to buy 2 pairs of every shoe released thing either :)

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
at least my money hole/hobby (record collecting) allows me to enjoy and use the actual product.
You aren't one of those record collectors who won't play any of his records because he doesn't want to wear out his $3,000 first pressing of some obscure psych-rock band that nobody has ever heard of? :)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
You aren't one of those record collectors who won't play any of his records because he doesn't want to wear out his $3,000 first pressing of some obscure psych-rock band that nobody has ever heard of? :)
no, but i don't drop that kind of coin, either.

if i do buy a rare/expensive record, chances are that i've got a cd or cdr copy of it as well.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
NEW YORK (Reuters Life!) - Got a passion for buying sneakers? It could be a good sign, with a poll finding that people who buy three pairs of sneakers or more a year are far more likely to be a leadership type than other people.

Mindset Media, a media company that examines personality traits of different consumers, found that people who buy more than three pairs of sneakers a year are 61 percent more likely to have the qualities of a modern leader.

These qualities were defined as having ideas and vision, and a style with others that is both inclusive and decisive.

The survey of 7,500 people, using market research group Nielsen's online panel, found multi-sneaker buyers were 50 percent more likely to be very assertive and 47 percent more likely to be spontaneous.

Lauren Arvonio, a spokeswoman for Mindset Media, said sneaker buyers were more likely to fly by the seat of their pants.

"It is often said you can tell a lot about a person by the shoes they wear, and now we have some hard data to back that up," Arvonio told Reuters.

"What is interesting is that these personality traits held true across the board, regardless of age, income, or gender."

Previous Mindset Media surveys found that people who pay their credit card bills off each month were more likely to be "highly deliberate," thinking through their actions, but also less modest than others, likely to brag about their habits.

Hybrid car owners were found to be 78 percent more likely to be highly creative than other people and less dogmatic.