Quantcast

Making a Demo 9 work as a race bike for a 160 lb kid

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
So due to circumstances beyond my control my Demo is not going to be in the stable of another heavy hitter for next season. As such, my brother-in-law wants to buy it from me to use as his race bike for next season.

I've never built a bike like this up for a skinny kid. Any DH project I get into has been built for me, and as such has been built to stand up to some pain.

He wants to race a 2005 Demo 9 Pro. Currently it has beyond the stock set up:
888 works fork (set for 260lbs)
Manitou six way with a 550# ti spring.

Beyond making the suspension settings for a lighter guy, what all would you suggest for this project? He's going to be racing 19-29 beginner, mostly local stuff like Wisp and Snowshoe. It needs to last a couple years, maybe be able to progress, and should be rideable with minimal tuning on his part as he's pretty new to the whole thing.

jrfor0

Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
for starters, just get some light wheels. maybe some decent hubs laced to mavic 721's. then run XC tubes and some 2-ply, 2.5" wide tires.

and be reasonable with where you want to cut weight. for a tight budget, after getting light wheels/tubes/tires, loose some weight at the bars, stem, post and saddle. these are high on the bike and make it feel top heavy. other then that there really isn't much to change for a resonable price.

maybe a lighter cassette after all that is done because this is sprung weight.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I think a 160 pound person should be able to to easily ride a 45 pound bike. And it shouldnt be hard to make a demo 9 45 pounds.

After all, I am 130 pounds and I can pretty easily ride my 44 pound bighit.

BJ-

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Australia
I cant remember exactly how much my Demo9 weighed, but it was between 43lbs and 45lbs pounds at different points in time.

Heres a list of the specs and a picture:

2004 Demo9 Pro Front End with a 2004 Demo9 DH's Rear End
2005 888 Works with Direct Mount Stem
Manitou 4-Way Swinger with Ti Spring
Chris King No-Thread Headset
Answer Protapers, 31.8mm
Hayes El Caminos, 203mm
Ringle Abbah Hubs laced to Mavic 729s
Truvativ Holzfeller Cranks
Truvativ XC Chainring
MRP Worldcup Guide
Shimano XTR Rear Derailluer
Shimano LX Shifter (with the shift guage taken off)
Shimano Dura Ace Cassette
Shimano Dura Ace Chain
Thomson Elite Pole
DMR Magnesium V12 Pedals
Maxxis Minion DHR 2.35 Tyres
Homemade Tubeless Set-up

I think thats all of it. I weigh about the same as your brother-in-law and i loved this bike. Id say light tubeless wheels will make the biggest difference.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Alright, so this can be done.

I am thinking:
- Have Marzocchi rework the front end to his weight.
- trade the ti spring in the back for fat boys down to something for skinny kids (by the way, what were you running spring weight wise?)
- I forgot to mention the head set is a nice new red King and the post was a shiny silver Thompson
- Get some of the Mavic tubless rim strips, see if we can't make that work
- Lose the Azonic Love Seat in favor of something light

Now I need to work out what to do for tires.

The rest of the ideas, i.e. a new cass, chain, shifter and der are pretty good.

Did the El Camino's work for you as a DH break? I have them on my 4x bike, was not too taken with them, but if they'll work for his lighter then a feather, dumber then a board, ass, then I might swap them over when I go to the Gustavs or Saints for next season.

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
Maybe sell the 888 and put a Boxxer Team/WC on it. Also, go to some lighter cranks like older XT's, or the new Holzfeller OTC. I would also say lighter wheels/tires. Maybe go to 6/7 inch rotors (pretty minimal). If he is getting really serious, put a Ti spring in front&rear.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Sounds like you are on the right track. Wheels and tires will save you the most weight by far. I think a Boxxer WC would help a lot too. Too bad your spring isn't for a 220 lb guy, or I would hit you up =P.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I think the 550# ti would work for you.

Right now I am not sure where his budget is. Its going to be $2k for him to buy the bike from me, if it doesn't go on here or ebay, then he's going to need a new spring and tires for the bike. Not sure what his budget is going to be able to do as he works at 7/11 right now. Who knows though, never can tell where six months will take you.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
jebus, take care of the suspension and just ride the dang thing, enough of this drop hundreds of dollars on stuff you don't need - I weigh 155 on a good day and can muscle around a big bike just fine . . .

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
I had elcaminoes on my DH bike. I sold them and bought juicy 7s. they had massive brake fade on long descents and the levers felt sloppy, and I never got a whole lot of power from them. Juicys are way better!

BJ-

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Australia
Tattoo said:
Alright, so this can be done.

I am thinking:
- Have Marzocchi rework the front end to his weight.
- trade the ti spring in the back for fat boys down to something for skinny kids (by the way, what were you running spring weight wise?)
- I forgot to mention the head set is a nice new red King and the post was a shiny silver Thompson
- Get some of the Mavic tubless rim strips, see if we can't make that work
- Lose the Azonic Love Seat in favor of something light

Now I need to work out what to do for tires.

The rest of the ideas, i.e. a new cass, chain, shifter and der are pretty good.

Did the El Camino's work for you as a DH break? I have them on my 4x bike, was not too taken with them, but if they'll work for his lighter then a feather, dumber then a board, ass, then I might swap them over when I go to the Gustavs or Saints for next season.
The El Caminos worked great for me because of my weight and riding style. But i wouldnt reccomend them as a beginners downhill brake.

I ran a 400# manitou spring.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
jebus, take care of the suspension and just ride the dang thing, enough of this drop hundreds of dollars on stuff you don't need - I weigh 155 on a good day and can muscle around a big bike just fine . . .
amen brother. on good day soaking wet i weigh 160lbs and i used to ride a decked out super 8 with a monster t,profiles,arrow tires and wheels,azonic everything; had to have been close to 50lbs and i won races on it.

from a beginner aspect, it'll be kinda tricky to maneuver that big of a bike when you aren't used to it, but make sure he rides it all the time and he should grow into it and be kicking ass in no time!

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Well therein lies problem number 2:
We live in Virginia Beach.

I've been riding and racing long enough to fake it and do alright, he has not.

However, he's really into the idea of the Demo, so unless I get more out of selling it to someone else, looks like The Bandito and the Demo are going to make some music.