Quantcast

Mallet traction plates?

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Who's using the short teeth? Who's using the long? I have the longer ones on now and I'm considering trying the short ones out to see if I can get a little quicker engagement. (That is once I get one of the stripped plate bolts out).

toby

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The longer the teeth the easier it is for them to bend (and then they get loose and rattle all around).

I finally got myself back on 545s today. Now I can unclip when I move my heel inward too!

hahah...I'm such a dope...never realized why CB's gave you extra plates. figured they were just being nice so when you smashed up the first pair you could slap the new ones on. Had no idea they were of different heights. Funny stuff...

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i just run the shorter ones. id rather have less of a chance of my feet getting somewhat caught for that split second when i clip out to keep from sliding out. plus all they do is give you better traction on the pedals when you arent clipped in, which i never try to do, i just stay clipped in all the time.

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
I started with the longer ones but they eat your shoe sole and they've bend after hitting a rock and some roots.
The shorter ones are still o.k.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
I always tke them off. I had one bend from a rock in a race run and by the time I got to the finish i had a gash in my calf 3inches long and deep enough for stitches. You're running clipless...what do you need traction for?

SPrider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
I take mine off, better engagement, less to pedal, and better feel for the pedal.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Heath Sherratt said:
I always tke them off. I had one bend from a rock in a race run and by the time I got to the finish i had a gash in my calf 3inches long and deep enough for stitches. You're running clipless...what do you need traction for?
If that were truly the case, why aren't you just riding egg beaters?

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Transcend said:
If that were truly the case, why aren't you just riding egg beaters?
The bigger pedal body isnt just there for more traction, its also there for support.