Quantcast

Mammoth ‘06

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Mammoth ‘06

Have not written a ride report in a while – work has been very busy and my riding has suffered… but luckily not as much as my reports!

This is more a re-cap of the season. I made it up to Mammoth for 3 weekends this season. I wish I had made it up there more but work has been hectic, most of our trips started by packing up the truck at 4 am and driving straight to the lifts (get there about 9am). Thanks to –BB- and my roommate for putting up with my work schedule…

I did not take ANY pictures the 1st trip, only a small handful on the second trip before my batteries died (found that the camera keeps getting turned on in my camelbak), but finally I was able to get some decent shots this trip. I’d love to have taken more, but when you get moving up there you don’t want to stop. So, here are some of the highlights!

Monkey heading to the mountains:

Packed and ready… 3 riders and 6 bikes (brought our non-DH rigs for Rock Creeck):

Socks match his beer:

Prepped and ready to go… where is that damn bus:

Ahh – solid Mammoth soil:

-BB- on DC10:

Wheelieholz in the kitty litter:

Wheelieholz on ‘Chain Smoke’… “side step” option:

The boys playing on Bullet:

To be continued...

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
One of the things I like about Mammoth are the occasional rock gardens, Wheelieholz and I cleaned this section once – then we did it again later on the day with different results:

At least he got back up and kept on riding:

Just cruising through the open sections before getting back into the technical fun stuff:

A run down skidmarks – angle is a little off (see background), it feels a lot steeper than that since you’re in such loose soil:

The best new trail there had to be FLOW. I liked what they did with ‘shock treatment’, although I didn’t get any pictures this year. However the upper part of flow had some fun stuff. One ‘bridge’ over a log near the begging ended up being a great jump – it would send you flying. Plus linking up with ‘Pipeline’ made for a great run… except for when they didn’t run lift 2, then getting back up to the lift or following another trail down to the town was a bit tedious. Anyway – here is my favorite part of Flow.

Wheelieholz:

-BB- :

Yours truly (side shot was too blurry):

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Of course not everything goes as well as planned… especially when riding a hardtail up there. Guess who got a few flats:

But I wasn’t the only one!

But I’d rather have a flat than this – cracked frame (2nd time at mammoth… this swingarm was replaced after he cracked his last one at Mammoth in Aug of ’05):

Tell me Wheelieholz, what do you think of that bike:

And finally, -BB- response to me mocking him for skiping a section that I cleared on my hardtail:

(gotta admit though – it was the end of the day and we were all pretty tired).

Oh yeah – might as well post these here: Rock Creek. Didn’t get many pictures… but here is what I have:

What the…

And to end the season – some scenery shots:

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Great photos- I'm especailly digging the Slapshot jersey!
LOL – nice catch, I was wondering if anyone from New England would comment. Unfortunately that is the last one I have left... and it’s kinda torn up. My circa '86 shirt (which was my favorite) has long since disintegrated...

great post...wish I could have went :( Maybe next year!
Sorry you couldn't make it, we had plenty of space for ya. -BB- told me about your injury - heal up fast!

oats

Chimp
Feb 14, 2005
Oregon
great pix! i wish i would take more pix when i ride, just never want to slow down long enough!
nathan

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
You remember two guys passing you on chainsmoke right at that uphill table? One on an uzzi and the other on a ventana with a go-ride shirt?

I was on the uzzi. I remember the orange frame.

Wish I'd have known it was you guys.
LOL - yup! I was having a bit of an issue with my shifting so I had no speed and all of a sudden I hear you guys on my ass! Should have yelled sooner and I would have gotten out of your way!