Quantcast

Mammoth area camping

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
Going to be camping in or around Mammoth this weekend. Are bears an issue to contend with? Just want to be properly prepared.
Thanks

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
I don't think you'll have any problems, you'll most likely fit right in.

edit: dammit, pics won't show.

seriously, if anything there may be small black bears, but they shouldn't be too much of a bother, jsut don't leave food lying around while you ride.

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
Didn't see any bear last year but the camp ground was equipped with food lockers. Just keep the fire lit and the humans inebriated and you should be fine. Bears hate drunks with fire. I taught em that. Maybe I'll see you on the hill.

GunShow?

Chimp
May 12, 2004
Edgy I expect a full ride report when you get back. As far as the bears go I only have one thing to say. If you survived a week in the same condo as W4S, you can survive anything a bear could bring.

Cheers,
B

Fshflys

Monkey
Jun 29, 2005
Seriously, you need to use the bear boxes provided, clean up & throw trash into the dumpster shortly after dinner. One time we had a trash bag hanging on a tree, 5 ft from our picnic table where we were sitting, fire going, and a bear came right up to it. Don't leave any food in your vehicle, then leave a window cracked, I seen where bears slide their claws in the crack, pop the window, go into the vehicle and get the food plus these guys aren't the cleanest animals. I've seen a bear try to open the camper shell on a truck that it had raided the night before. I've also seen a bear walk next to a tent and sniff. (the occupants were still asleep, 5:30 am, they were European, and had freaked out when the bear came walking through the campgroud in the ealy evening the night before.
Have Fun

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
GunShow? said:
Edgy I expect a full ride report when you get back. As far as the bears go I only have one thing to say. If you survived a week in the same condo as W4S, you can survive anything a bear could bring.

Cheers,
B
He does kinda have short legs like a bear and one time he did try to give me a bear hug....but that was because we were in Whistla and he was inebriated.... I think:confused: