Quantcast

Mammoth DH Course map

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
Figured that I would post this here... Not sure if it's been seen already... Looks like its still on velocity?! At least for a bit...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That lower section is the new chainsmoke trail. More stunt type stuff than a straight up race course. Those coffin jumps will hopefully be rebuilt before the race. They are on a downhill grade and get smaller throughout the set. Lots of pedaling at the finish.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The pro's and experts don't run the same course?

'More stunt stuff' Whats that mean? Teeter-totters? :p

Coffin Jumps??? Do they just bury you right there?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
profro said:
The pro's and experts don't run the same course?

'More stunt stuff' Whats that mean? Teeter-totters? :p

Coffin Jumps??? Do they just bury you right there?

You'll see :devil:

The "coffin" jumps are tabletop jumps dug out of the ground. They kind of look like empty graves I guess. They're built like sh!t. The first one is big, the middle two are a little smaller and the last one is miniscule with no landing if you hit it right (braking like a biotch right before it) or an uphill landing if you don't hit the brakes. That's where I broke my ankle.

The lower section of the course has a log ride (log jump if racing) several little doubles which are pretty fun, a pretty big rock slab to ride down into deep pumice sand and some berms which will be completely destroyed by race day. Riding it fast will definitely separate the skill levels that show up much more so than any standard dh course.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Sweet, while I don't dig the mis-sized jumps I am up for the techincal seperation.

kidwoo, I won't be able to make any rides with you before or after the race. My wife will be with me and we are going to tour a little of Yosemite on Sunday and Monday on our way back to Sacramento. I do appreciate the offer. I am racing expert masters at Mammoth. I'm on a red Yeti DH9 with a Shiver. If you see me, stop me and say hello.

Oh BTW, I plan on running a 2.7 Highroller up front. But I don't know about a rear tire. I usually run Minion DHFs front and rear in our loamy, moist dirt. But I wonder if a DHR wouldn't be better. Would you value cornering or braking in a rear tire at Mammoth. Maybe I'll bring both.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Larger moto style treads seem work best for me in the pumice down there. It's kind of sandy and having something that digs in a bit helps with the blown out corners. Out of the maxxis tires, I'd use either a minion DHF or a high roller front with a DHF or another highroller in back.

If you know how to swing turns in the pumice, you really don't need to use your brakes very much at all. Cornering is way more of a priority in my opinion. I usually ride full 60 durometer tires there because it seems like the knobs stay rigid and dig in a little better than a soft tire. There's a lot of pedaling on that course if they run it like it's mapped above so sticky tires might slow you down as well.

Like any other race though, I'd just bring everything you might want to run and switch them around during practice based on how you're riding the place.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
kidwoo said:
Did you sneak over to mammoth while I've been healing? :mumble:
I raced the last national there...

some of my friends were supposed to go this past weekend, but Charlie (from vision) broke his collar bone there on his fist day :(

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Acadian said:
I raced the last national there...

some of my friends were supposed to go this past weekend, but Charlie (from vision) broke his collar bone there on his fist day :(
So you raced the bullet course.... I like that trail much better. You should see how gouged out the landings on those little log drops have gotten since 2000. They're like 3-4 foot drops into ramps now. I didn't have the balls to double them up yet, but I think it's possible.

I rode this years course as mapped a few times before I got hurt. That's going to be an ass kicker at race pace. Much more so than just the plain ole velocity top to bottom.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
kidwoo said:
So you raced the bullet course.... I like that trail much better. You should see how gouged out the landings on those little log drops have gotten since 2000. They're like 3-4 foot drops into ramps now. I didn't have the balls to double them up yet, but I think it's possible.

I rode this years course as mapped a few times before I got hurt. That's going to be an ass kicker at race pace. Much more so than just the plain ole velocity top to bottom.
when I raced it was top velocity and then went into bullet...fun fun fun fun...

ya I'm sure it's chopped it is now!

Jonny Wray

Chimp
Oct 4, 2001
San Francisco
I was there this last weekend. They have changed the coffin jumps a little. There's now a step down lip into the first coffin, and they've groomed the lips of all the jumps. The guys I was with, who can actually jump (I can't jump for sht), pretty much hated them. They buck you - one mate got totally flipped on his second run down.

kidwoo said:
You'll see :devil:

The "coffin" jumps are tabletop jumps dug out of the ground. They kind of look like empty graves I guess. They're built like sh!t. The first one is big, the middle two are a little smaller and the last one is miniscule with no landing if you hit it right (braking like a biotch right before it) or an uphill landing if you don't hit the brakes. That's where I broke my ankle.

The lower section of the course has a log ride (log jump if racing) several little doubles which are pretty fun, a pretty big rock slab to ride down into deep pumice sand and some berms which will be completely destroyed by race day. Riding it fast will definitely separate the skill levels that show up much more so than any standard dh course.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
profro said:
I'll have to trade with a teammate, I don't have any 2.7 DHFs. Would you run 2.7 front and rear?
I think a 2.5 in the rear would be fine. I'm going down to watch and still don't know if I'll be riding by then. I could just loan you one of mine. It's a slow reazay but would certainly help. Even running the 2.5 front at Northstar which is not nearly as deep/sandy as mammoth felt a little under sized to me. Just borrow mine if you want.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Jonny Wray said:
I was there this last weekend. They have changed the coffin jumps a little. There's now a step down lip into the first coffin, and they've groomed the lips of all the jumps. The guys I was with, who can actually jump (I can't jump for sht), pretty much hated them. They buck you - one mate got totally flipped on his second run down.
charlie??

Jonny Wray

Chimp
Oct 4, 2001
San Francisco
Yeah, we got to ride. We got one full day in, Charlie got hurt day two, and me and sTp rode half a day after that. You could say Steph was happy to be back on the bike.

Acadian said:
bummer...did sTp get to ride...I know he was anxious to get back on the big bike

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
kidwoo said:
I think a 2.5 in the rear would be fine. I'm going down to watch and still don't know if I'll be riding by then. I could just loan you one of mine. It's a slow reazay but would certainly help. Even running the 2.5 front at Northstar which is not nearly as deep/sandy as mammoth felt a little under sized to me. Just borrow mine if you want.
Hey thanks, I was thinking I probably still run the 2.7 HR because I have some protos that are tubeless. I like tubeless for the weight and ease. I also have some DHFs that are tubeless, but they are only in 2.5. So I'll run those in the rear.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
profro said:
Hey thanks, I was thinking I probably still run the 2.7 HR because I have some protos that are tubeless. I like tubeless for the weight and ease. I also have some DHFs that are tubeless, but they are only in 2.5. So I'll run those in the rear.
I've used a 2.5 high roller there and it worked fine. The wide channel on those tires between the center and side knobs seems to grab the sand really well. Either way just get in touch with me before you head out this way if you want to borrow anything. All my gear is just collecting dust right now.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
kidwoo said:
All my gear is just collecting dust right now.
Man what a bummer, the National Championships in your back yard and you are out. I feel for you man. We have a high speed course here that is almost 3 miles long and its big sweeping corners on loose over hardpack. Its the only place I can practice loose and difting corners. I've been hitting it lately trying to get ready for the sand, but we have a race here this weekend and it will probably be mud tires again due to Hurricane Frances. :dead:

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
Is the start of this course in the middle of those rocks where it was about 4 years ago? It was a hike-a-bike just to get to the start ramp and people were literaly skidding down the start ramp into a huge rock garden.

Also, did anyone notice that they just revised the practice schedule and cut Expert practicein half on Friday?

D

Dingus McGee

Since everyone's tire-talkin', how about tire pressure? soft/med/hard?

What works in the inevitable pumice-sand traps ?

Thx

P.S. Sorry to hear about Charlie V/SF. Get better chuckles!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Dingus McGee said:
Since everyone's tire-talkin', how about tire pressure? soft/med/hard?

What works in the inevitable pumice-sand traps ?

Thx

P.S. Sorry to hear about Charlie V/SF. Get better chuckles!
Since there are still quite a few rough areas at the top of velocity, I keep my tires the same as at northstar........pretty freakin high. 30s and 40s. Just take a pump with you during practice and see what you think.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Threepointtwo said:
Is the start of this course in the middle of those rocks where it was about 4 years ago? It was a hike-a-bike just to get to the start ramp and people were literaly skidding down the start ramp into a huge rock garden.

Also, did anyone notice that they just revised the practice schedule and cut Expert practicein half on Friday?
Yeah, I'm not understanding that. I had 12 hrs of practice at Snowshoe and I only have 7 at Mammoth. :mumble: Oh well, so does everyone else.

Yeti - thanks for posting the map. Bummer about Charlie - hes a good guy and damn fast - I can't remember if he said he was going to race the Nat, but he normally kicks my butt (in same class). I'm looking forward to checking out the course, but now I'm all freaked out by the descriptions... Steep=goooooood :thumb: . Steep with no traction=s-s-s--s-scarey :eek: . Well-built-jumps=gooooooood :p . Crappy-@ss-bmx-style-super-lippy-jumps = what are you thinking building crap like that on a Championship DH course? :help:
Stunts? :nuts:
(having a little fun with those little smilies - truth is, I'm looking forward to checking it out...)
-S

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
i'm in mammoth now. i'd be out riding if it wasn't snowing. i got a couple hours in yesterday. only the bottom 1/2 of the runs were open. it seems pretty fun and fast, nothing all that hard. the pumice is really deep in some of the corners, almost grabby.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
After a normal week of sunny and 70's i'm sure the course will be completely back to normal. I kinda doubt there will be any additional traction or that you will even be able to tell it snowed a week earlier.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
dfinn said:
After a normal week of sunny and 70's i'm sure the course will be completely back to normal. I kinda doubt there will be any additional traction or that you will even be able to tell it snowed a week earlier.
Listen here boy!! I've been riding mammoth every summer for the last 4 and if I say there will be traction...............there's gonna be traction!!!!! (maybe).

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
kidwoo said:
Listen here boy!! I've been riding mammoth every summer for the last 4 and if I say there will be traction...............there's gonna be traction!!!!! (maybe).
i'll put $5 on it old timer

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
you're probably right. the web cams sure make it looks like it stuck good on the mtn. i was there in town yesterday and it wasn't sticking at all.