Quantcast

Mammoth downhilling

stinkyboy58

Chimp
Feb 2, 2006
CA
hey guys, now my parents are having seconds thoughts on going to whistler. Mommoth is closer and we dont have to fly. so how is mammoth for downhilling? does it have good drops, north shore, and jumps and berms? and what should i expect on a double black diamond at mammoth??

post some pics too if possible. please

Nov 9, 2005
its a loose ash sand terrain, so its a lot different then hard packed dirt. The trails range from fast and long to shorter and more technical. There is a trail with a big drop on it, flow, and there are only a few north shore places.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Now that I've gone to Mammoth a few times I love it. Way less crowded and smaller than Whistler. I know every trail by heart and I've seen only a few people on the expert trails. Granted, there aren't as many as in Whistler but it's still really fun. Plus 5 Boroughs has the best pizza I've ever had in town. Seriously, that's something to consider.

degoose

Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So Cal
Mammoth is so much fun. Im not really into big drops and north shore riding, so mammoth is perfect for me. Mammoth is awsome. Im spending a week at Mammoth this summer. A 2 weeks in winter, then off to Whistler for 6 days.

stinkyboy58

Chimp
Feb 2, 2006
CA
iv already been to whistler last year. I loved it. i want to move there now lol. but my parents are saving their flyer miles for another trip. so im going to mammoth.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Who cares where you go. Your parents are paying for it so just enjoy it for that. Mammoth is fun and thats where you're going so be hapy.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
If you're looking at Mammoth, look at Northstar too.

Mammoth terrain is unique. There are a lot of rocks, roots, and gravelly stuff. Northstar terrain has a lot of rocks too, but the dirt is normal. Very dusty though.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Might as well go to Bootleg, then go to Mammoth, then up to Northstar, then over to Downieville or Auburn. Road trips rock!

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Well, I've ridden both Mammoth and NorthStar. NorthStar was a blast during the 24/Tahoe. Has some quite techy parts. Mammoth is my all-time favorite, though, for personal reasons. Did both the marathons NORBA offered there. Yes, it was very sandy/pumice like. Rode from town to the top of Mammoth mountain once. That was a blast for me. You might find fewer riders at N*, though, yet Mammoth does have more to offer (rooms/eats/apre' ride). The views are much better at Mammoth, too. As for Whistler, from what I've read/heard, you sure can't go wrong there.