Quantcast

Mammoth in the off-season….

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I’m heading to Mammoth this weekend just to get out of town for a few days and was thinking of taking the bikes…..and obviously I won’t be using the lift this time of year. Are there any decent trails at other places in the area?

Thanks,

Jeb4

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I'd be interested in hearing more about rock creek or if anyone's got any pics. I was planning to take my g/f to mammoth at the end of the summer, and she's got a special attachment to rock creek (her grandpa used to take her there when she was little). If there's riding there rather than hiking, that would be awesome.

BillT

Monkey
Ditto on Lower Rock Creek...it is at a lower elevation than Mammoth itself and is supposed to be close to, if not 100%, snow-free. The trail itself is about 6-7 miles and drops maybe 1000 or so vertical feet and is mostly fast and flowy with a couple of rock gardens and other technical spots thrown in. The trail is best done via a shuttle unless you really like climbing.

Fshflys

Monkey
Jun 29, 2005
LRC is just off 395, 1 exit past Tom's Place if coming from Mammoth, towards Bishop. The trailhead is within 100ft of 395. Trail crosses the Rock Creek road a couple times and ends upat a place called Paradise, you come out right next to the cabins that are along the creek. You'll want to shuttle, it's about a 20 min ride.

ifouiripilay

Chimp
Sep 1, 2005
san diego, north park
i was there about two weeks ago. it was a good ride, temp in upper 70's . no snow but its getting warm. bishop was in the upper 90's. only ran into 1 hiker and 2 people fishing the creek but i did run across a pretty fresh piece of deer leg in the trail. haha... not a good feeling when you're riding by yourself. its mostly a down grade not really dh riding, some pedeling effort. some technical sections, lots of rocks, and some mud pits. for the first time i liked it. its a change from san diego riding. have a good one

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
ifouiripilay said:
i was there about two weeks ago. it was a good ride, temp in upper 70's . no snow but its getting warm. bishop was in the upper 90's. only ran into 1 hiker and 2 people fishing the creek but i did run across a pretty fresh piece of deer leg in the trail. haha... not a good feeling when you're riding by yourself.
Funny you should mention that. If it makes you feel better, the lions in that area are probably very well fed. I remember hearing there are some really big mule deer in that area around Tom's Place and Sherwin Summit.