Quantcast

Mammoth or Northstar with the family?

Riff Raff

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Back in Boulder ready ta ride
I'd love to make a weekend DH trip to either of them, The question is what place will be the best for my wife and 5yr old to hang wile I'm riding. I.E. things like a nice village or resorts with spa's. :love:

Any info is appreciated!

-H

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Probly Mammoth for proximity to the resort. I'm sure N* has all that in town, but your family might have to drive a bit to get to it.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I've spent a decent amount of time in both places (live at tahoe, good friend lives in mammoth) and I would say there is alot more to do for families in the tahoe area. depends on what your family is into also though.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I would think there is more for a family to do in Mammoth. If you have a chance, go to Convict Lake; it is south on 395, about 20 minutes from the resort.

Make sure you ride the new Flow trail in Mammoth, it is a lot of fun.

Fshflys

Monkey
Jun 29, 2005
I've been going to Mammoth for years, mostly for fly fishing, but my son is now riding DH, so I've gone to N* recently also.
Mammoth, Town is spread apart, more conducive to driving than walking, browsing shops. Above town is the lakes region, gorgeous area, couple of nice hikes, lots of wildflowers. I've never ridin N* but Mammoth has a trail called downtown that my son did a week after his 4th Bday, on a 12" wheel bike, we've been going up there, spending a week in the summer, kids riding 3 - 4 days a week since.
N*, Truckee is a much nicer town for browsing shops. If you're planning on staying right at the resort, be aware, they are in the middle of construction.

Riff Raff

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Back in Boulder ready ta ride
descender said:
Tahoe is much more built up, and has more going on, as a whole, than mammoth. But both would be totally fine.

Thanks all-

If both are equal for hanging out, It may come down to where I want to ride...
:)

Are they both equal when it comes to the DH riding?

-H

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Nope, not even close. N* has shorter runs, but many are full of super rocky sections that are so sweet. I love sticks and stones. If you love rocks then N* is for you. On the other hand Mammoth has a larger trail network, longer trails and a high speed gondola. You can have evrything from crazy high speed to techy and rocky. With the new freeride trails, Mammoth has a bit of everything. However, it also has dip pumice soil and can be very windy. Some people don't like the pumice, but it doesn't really seem to be an issue except on the stepper sections (ie. chainsmoke into the coffin jumps).

I like them both equal, it's just that they are very different from each other. In short N*= rocky/dusty
Mammoth= a bit of this a bit of that.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I would say north star, jest to try something difrent. People that go there from other arias that have ridden difrent places say its NOTHING like any place else.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Riff Raff said:
Oh thats right we have moon dust!
:)

-H
Actually, Mammoth's moondust is worse... it is more "moonlike".
BB dust was at leat kinda brown. Mammoth dust is grey and can get 5in deep in places.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Riff Raff said:
Sounds like Big Bear, I'll feel right at home.

-H
It's a lot duster than Big Bear. Mammoth is the only place where you're trying to get away from your own dust...

Oh yeah, the section right before the coffin jumps is really, really soft. My front tire dug in a few times. Which isn't too big of a deal, since the coffin jumps will hurt your if you hit them with too much speed...