Quantcast

Mammoth tire selection

F.O.G

Monkey
Feb 8, 2005
Monterey, CA
Hey evrybody,
Just wondering what tires to run at Mammoth in Sept. I'll be racing DH, 4X, and the Kami. I haven't raced there in 9-10 years, so my memory of what worked there is a bit fuzzy. I am planning on running the Kenda short tracker for the rear on the Kami, but I don't know what to run on the front. I usually run Michelin Comp 16's and 24's and or Maxxis Minion DH F 2.7 and Minion DH R 2.5. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
F.O.G said:
I usually run Michelin Comp 16's and 24's and or Maxxis Minion DH F 2.7 and Minion DH R 2.5. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris
Those all sound good. I have yet to ride in anything that a minion dhf doesn't work well.

Mammoth is volcanic sand (pumice) that's loose but not as straight up dusty as big bear or northstar. Tires with channels work well (like a comp 32 or minion dhf, or comp 16 with the knobs trimmed back a bit).

***MTB***

Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
SoCal
i go to mammoth every year (2-4 times in winter and 1-2 times in summer for the past 5 years) and the worst part is that it is extremely sandy and dusty. I you take a turn at high speed without a berm u will most likely slide out. The tire tHAT U PICKED I THINK WOULD WORK GREAT. Hope that helps.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I used Nevegal 2.5" front and rear and they worked pretty well. But I was slow then so I don't know what I'd use now. The terrain is a mix of rock and gravel/granite/pummice stuff.

For the Kamikaze, I know Tomac ran a Short Tracker in the back and a Blue Groove in the front.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
When I rode Mammoth, I was running a 2.5 tire front and back, and felt that a little wider tire in the front would have been a little better. For the Nationals I'm planning to run a soft compound Nokian Gazzi Jr. 2.6 up front and a 2.5 NBX dual compound in the back. I think that will be a good combination for Mammoth's soft and dusty trails...

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
I felt pretty solid with a 2.7 Mobster in front and a 2.5 Mobster in the back last year. I think I'm gonna stick with my Minions this year just to check it out.

F.O.G

Monkey
Feb 8, 2005
Monterey, CA
Did any of you guys ride the Kami, or just the DH??? If you did race/ride the Kami what were the conditions? Back in the day the course was loose over hardpack and a bit loamy with brake bumps into the corners. Any info would be cool.
Thanks again for the tire info.
Chris

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
last year i started with a 2.7 minion in front and a 2.5 highroller in the rear...i generally always run 2.5s front and back...for race day i switched to a 2.5 minion in front and it felt just as good as the 2.7 but cornered better

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
stubby said:
hey! there not urban tires dip chit

The only time the tires on any of my bikes even touch concrete is from the parking lot to where ever I'm riding.

You must not be very intelligent to take a comment about tires as a personal attack.

Here's one: You are a moron.

See? now that's something to get upset about!

I've owned 3 intense tires in the past and every one of them was in the trash after about 3-6 days of riding on them because the knobs started ripping off.

That statement right there ^^ not something to go insulting me over.......you retard.

descender

Chimp
May 6, 2003
San Francisco
kidwoo said:
The only time the tires on any of my bikes even touch concrete is from the parking lot to where ever I'm riding.

You must not be very intelligent to take a comment about tires as a personal attack.

Here's one: You are a moron.

See? now that's something to get upset about!

I've owned 3 intense tires in the past and every one of them was in the trash after about 3-6 days of riding on them because the knobs started ripping off.

That statement right there ^^ not something to go insulting me over.......you retard.

stubby, I am afraid that....

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Weavah, Condrashoff won the nat dh last year with the comp 32 up front and the comp 24 cut in the rear. I thiink Riffle was using the same. That is my plan but i will bring comp 16 also. As for 4x run the comp 16 2.2 in front and the comp 24 2.2 in rear. The kami is still loose over hard pack so the comp 24 2.5 up front cut and semi in rear would be great. Stick with tires you are used to. Talk to you soon. H

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
stubby said:
sorry i didnt know you raced a chase or a norco shore, the fros=race not shore, but watever.
Those are bikes that I am selling enlightened one. Whoever said that I race either one of them?

I ride a turner DHR at northstar every weekend that I'm not at whistler, bootleg or mammoth. I've got a stack of dh tires in my garage that is probably taller than you are, and I dig into them regularly depending on where I'm riding.

Don't go insulting me based on your horribly misguided assumptions. You're not making you sponsors look very good for supporting you.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Heath Sherratt said:
Weavah, Condrashoff won the nat dh last year with the comp 32 up front and the comp 24 cut in the rear. I thiink Riffle was using the same. That is my plan but i will bring comp 16 also. As for 4x run the comp 16 2.2 in front and the comp 24 2.2 in rear. The kami is still loose over hard pack so the comp 24 2.5 up front cut and semi in rear would be great. Stick with tires you are used to. Talk to you soon. H

Pretty interesting those guys were running such a large tire for a race. Speaking from experience though, the 32 does control that sand really well even though they do feel a bit slower rolling than the minions. I've got dual 32s on my bike right now and I kind of dig the big pillowy feel sometimes.

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Damn, you guys got me scared to run Intenses FRO tires. I ride for them, and I'm currently runnin a 2.5" 909 EX on the front, and I love that tire, it grips really well, and I have had not prob's with any of the knob's rippin off. But knowin what you guys have experienced and that the Intense FRO compound is ultra soft and sticky, I'm kinda afraid to run any FRO tires at the US nationals.

KIDWOO,
If you had to run Intense tires at the nationals, which one's would you run? I've only been riding for 6 months, and I've never ridden at mammoth or anything like it. I've only raced down at Fontana for the Southridge series and cal state race. Let me know please!

-Patrick-

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Alex966 said:
Damn, you guys got me scared to run Intenses FRO tires. I ride for them, and I'm currently runnin a 2.5" 909 EX on the front, and I love that tire, it grips really well, and I have had not prob's with any of the knob's rippin off. But knowin what you guys have experienced and that the Intense FRO compound is ultra soft and sticky, I'm kinda afraid to run any FRO tires at the US nationals.

KIDWOO,
If you had to run Intense tires at the nationals, which one's would you run? I've only been riding for 6 months, and I've never ridden at mammoth or anything like it. I've only raced down at Fontana for the Southridge series and cal state race. Let me know please!

-Patrick-
Don't be scared. They're just tires. The worst thing that ever happened to me was a tube getting pinched in a hole but I knew the hole was there. Just check'em before you ride. I liked the 909 run backwards. the way the side knobs are angled, they'll wash on you if you run them the way they're reccomended.....at least the one I had did around these here parts. It was great turned around. Should have trusted my instincts on that one. I never used it as a rear tire though.

***MTB***

Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
SoCal
F.O.G said:
Did any of you guys ride the Kami, or just the DH??? If you did race/ride the Kami what were the conditions? Back in the day the course was loose over hardpack and a bit loamy with brake bumps into the corners. Any info would be cool.
Thanks again for the tire info.
Chris
Last year when i went on kamikaze, it was really loose and super easy to slide out.

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
***MTB*** said:
Last year when i went on kamikaze, it was really loose and super easy to slide out.
Well, on kamikaze, I suppose you've got to embrace the drift. John T. won it on the Kenda short tracker which is a semi-slick with puny side lugs. Not sure what he put up front, maybe the Nev. with ramped knobs? Essentials: bullit-head, skin suit, backpack with 70lbs. of rocks, a good memory, and of course, elephant balls drooped over either side of the top tube...

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
I rode the Kamikazi on dual DH24 Mich tires and it was sketchy fast. The bits with the huge cliff drop off on one side with the loose over hardpack and randomly strewn about rocks made for some scares :shocked:

But I can attest from running 2.5 DH24's front and back that they roll fast! Not as grippy as some tires it seems but they make up for it in speed I suppose. I likem! I only wish they made comp 32's in 2.5 and thats all I would ride :lighten:

EDIT- Annnnnd I just became a thread necro and brought this one back from the dead.... Sorry guys my bad