Quantcast

Man, UPS makes me soooo mad!!!

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I was about to get my new rims to build up for this weekend and I just found out they got sent back to the sender. The box was destroyed!!! Brand new rims. Who are these guys? Why do they wreck things more than other companies??? I've had nothing but bad experiences with them.

On the bright side, a buddy of mine offered to lend his Ditchwitch rims to me to make temporary DH wheels....should be funny!! Either that or I use my ghetto Rhynolites that I have laying around! HAHA!!

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
I love UPS,

both my LP bars and White Bros fork were delayed by 3 days because of a train crash, and both of the boxes were damaged, but thankfully the bars and fork were still in perfect shape. I paid overnight on both the bars and fork and wasnt reunded either, go figure :mad:

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
I have serious issues with the shipping nazi at the UPS store. More than one visit has ended in a shouting match w/ her.

On one occasion I wanted to ship a bike frame that I had packed myself. She wouldn't ship it until she could open it up and verify the contents and ensure that it had been properly packed (French for: we're gonna charge you more to pack it "right"). Needless to say, FedEx did a stellar job getting that frame to its destination on time. :D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by bagtagley
I have serious issues with the shipping nazi at the UPS store. More than one visit has ended in a shouting match w/ her.

On one occasion I wanted to ship a bike frame that I had packed myself. She wouldn't ship it until she could open it up and verify the contents and ensure that it had been properly packed (French for: we're gonna charge you more to pack it "right"). Needless to say, FedEx did a stellar job getting that frame to its destination on time. :D

The "UPS" store is a very bad place to send packages from. Go to the UPS shipping center where the brown trucks come from. There you will be charged like 2/3rds to 1/2 the price and you wont get so much BS. The places called "UPS store" just screw you over, because they have to charge a pretty big proffit-amount on top of the real shipping cost. They aren't "really" UPS stores to me, since a few months ago they were mail-boxes etc or whatever.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Originally posted by Jm_
The "UPS" store is a very bad place to send packages from. Go to the UPS shipping center where the brown trucks come from. There you will be charged like 2/3rds to 1/2 the price and you wont get so much BS. The places called "UPS store" just screw you over, because they have to charge a pretty big proffit-amount on top of the real shipping cost. They aren't "really" UPS stores to me, since a few months ago they were mail-boxes etc or whatever.
ya those places suck, i only have been to mine 2 times, both when i shipped something back to someone using their UPS accounts, so it didnt cost me a dime. Mine has a giant bowl of great packs of gum, you get 2 chicklets in a mini ups box, while the guy was taping my box, i took about 30 packets, enough to tide me over for a while :D

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
The only problem I've ever had with UPS was when I got air shipping on a build kit I ordered a couple days before 9-11. Obviously it was delayed, but I don't blame UPS for that. I can only say good things about them, reliable, haven't had anything damaged, etc. I guess their price on some things is pretty ridiculous compared to fedex, but i have my own problems with fedex. Fedex got lost twice in one week trying to find my house. I had to call and give them directions both times, and of course the packages ended up coming in a few days late. I was lucky i checked the online tracking number, because otherwise it would have been sent back.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Originally posted by ChrisRobin
I was about to get my new rims to build up for this weekend and I just found out they got sent back to the sender. The box was destroyed!!!
that happened to me. shipped, sent back 'cause the box got wet. re-sent, and almost got sent back again 'cause the box was damaged, but a family friend who works at UPS saw it and grabbed it for me.

nothing like getting a bike 2 months after it's paid for.

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
I ship UPS just about every day.
They have done very well for me so far. No one is perfect but they have done very well.
Set up your own account on-line. It's free to set up and they send you the bill. Just print out the slip on your computer and tape it to the box. Then drop the box off and ANY place that has daily UPS pick up (does not have to be a UPS store). I drop off 15 to 30 boxes per week and they don't charge me a dime extra and I get the bill in the mail. I only drop them off at the UPS Store because it's on my way home and I don't want my day job to know how much volume I'm doing (with the new start up co. they don't know about yet).
I will say that the people at the UPS store don't really like it when I drop my stuff off but to bad, they have to take it.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by spookydave
I ship UPS just about every day.
They have done very well for me so far. No one is perfect but they have done very well.
Set up your own account on-line. It's free to set up and they send you the bill. Just print out the slip on your computer and tape it to the box. Then drop the box off and ANY place that has daily UPS pick up (does not have to be a UPS store). I drop off 15 to 30 boxes per week and they don't charge me a dime extra and I get the bill in the mail. I only drop them off at the UPS Store because it's on my way home and I don't want my day job to know how much volume I'm doing (with the new start up co. they don't know about yet).
I will say that the people at the UPS store don't really like it when I drop my stuff off but to bad, they have to take it.
cool...I'm doing pretty much the same thing but using USPS....so far so good...been doing it about 5 months now....D

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Originally posted by spookydave
I've noticed that too. They actually get pretty annoyed. I guess because I'm not ignorant enough to let them package my goods and tack on $100%.

I try to use Fedex or USPS whenever possible for packages. UPS is the worst service IMO, sometimes I wonder if they are screwing up on purpose. I lost count years ago of the number of damaged boxes and destroyed contents of items I have sent and received, and unlike with UPS I have never had air packages sent ground with Fedex or USPS, or on the wrong truck headed to the other side of the country. And good luck trying to cash in on the insurance you paid for after UPS destroys your stuff.

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
I'd have to agree that UPS really sucks. They refuse to insure my bike frames for more than 400$. They're the reason i went to FedEx and have stayed with FedEx for so long. But of course then there's USPS. They're even worse than UPS. They refused to ship a bike box once cause it had the cut-outs to grab the box. I said i can put tape over those holes but she wouldn't have it.

:rolleyes:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
FEDEX. I have switched to dealing with them and I couldn't be happier. I set up an account on line, have the bill directly paid from my check card, and their shipping center is open unitl 9:00pm and it's extremely local. Plus they are cheap.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
You have NO IDEA how things are handled at UPS. I worked there this year during the holidays and HOLY CRAP!

You know all taht bubble wrap and heavy duty packing tape that seems like overkill. It's not! You really, really gotta see how they handle a package there.

Consider this. The "reload" of tractor trailers at a terminal takes about 4 hours. They have a little red bar code scanner that velcros to 2 fingers and has a "Predator" keypad on your forearm. Two burly boys with ball caps and boots stand at the bottom of a conveyor while "scanner" guy snags packages for that truck and slings them down a metal chute to a rolling conveyor belt. Bro 1 & Bro 2 chuck that stuff in the back of the truck hard core at lightning speed for 4 hours straight and stack, pack, toss, shove, kick, punt, sling, hurl and chuck boxes at each other and into the tractor trailer. A 2 man team loads on average TWO tractor trailers full in 4 hours with nothing but packages, boxes and letters. Multiply that by 30 trucks....and you get the point.

That Milk commercial on TV...is actually tame compared to what UPS does to a package....and that's in ONE terminal on one night. Imagine what happens when you ship from Cali to Florida...it gets unpacked and repacked 4 to 5 times!!!!

So next time you ship stuff...remember what I said. Toss whatever you just wrapped up across the room....slide it ont he floor, cram it in the closet....let it fall off a shelf once or twice. Then ask yourself if it's enough packing material.:) ;) :( :confused: :eek: :nope: :drool: :nuts:

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I can't stand ups they were always late for getting my stuff to me.Plus one time they just drove by my hous e and i had to wait a extra week or so!!!! BOO UPS!!

B

bigkonarider

100% AGREE WITH YOU BUTCH--------

That's exactly how i remembered it working at the HUB in Knoxville,TN/Callahan rd.
I was like "Jackie Chan" unloading boxes from the truck. & then you still can't satisfy them:--they flick the conveyer up FASTER !!!
THEY ARE Milataristic slave drivers NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!!!!!
I friggin started to HATE that job & could care a less about the boxes being damaged..I just wanted to kill !!!...........
I still use em most of the time though....
------------------------------
Originally posted by bizutch
You have NO IDEA how things are handled at UPS. I worked there this year during the holidays and HOLY CRAP!

You know all taht bubble wrap and heavy duty packing tape that seems like overkill. It's not! You really, really gotta see how they handle a package there.

Consider this. The "reload" of tractor trailers at a terminal takes about 4 hours. They have a little red bar code scanner that velcros to 2 fingers and has a "Predator" keypad on your forearm. Two burly boys with ball caps and boots stand at the bottom of a conveyor while "scanner" guy snags packages for that truck and slings them down a metal chute to a rolling conveyor belt. Bro 1 & Bro 2 chuck that stuff in the back of the truck hard core at lightning speed for 4 hours straight and stack, pack, toss, shove, kick, punt, sling, hurl and chuck boxes at each other and into the tractor trailer. A 2 man team loads on average TWO tractor trailers full in 4 hours with nothing but packages, boxes and letters. Multiply that by 30 trucks....and you get the point.

That Milk commercial on TV...is actually tame compared to what UPS does to a package....and that's in ONE terminal on one night. Imagine what happens when you ship from Cali to Florida...it gets unpacked and repacked 4 to 5 times!!!!

So next time you ship stuff...remember what I said. Toss whatever you just wrapped up across the room....slide it ont he floor, cram it in the closet....let it fall off a shelf once or twice. Then ask yourself if it's enough packing material.:) ;) :( :confused: :eek: :nope: :drool: :nuts:
:(
WORK SUCKS.....

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
I worked night shift at UPS for about a year while in college. We handled all the next day/ 2day air stuff. Loading packages into containers that get shoved onto airplanes. Imagine a fast moving conveyor belt with a 20' metal shoot at on end. About 20 people are lined up along this conveyor belt checking zip codes on every single package that comes flying down. If the package is in your zip code area you snatch it up, scan the barcode, and slam it into the back of the "can" (big aluminum and plexyglass container 8'x8'x 6' tall) Your goal is to get as many boxes/letters as fast you can into that "can". On most nights you can't keep up with the belt. as you put one package into the "can" three more slip past you. A few "throwbacks" are at the end of the belt and their job is to pick up all the missed boxes and run them back up the belt. On top off all that mess you are trying to remember up to 30 zip codes and sort packages accordingly. Also next to the metal shoot big burly dudes are sliging "Irregs" on to the belt. Irregs are anything that will not fit in a box or weights more than 70lbs. (Think: tires, truck axles, boat engines, ect) If your aunts priceless vase happens to be crushed by a 150lb "irreg" it is pulled from the belt and sent to the damage area where it is inspected and either returned to sender or reboxed and put back on the belt. Oh the best part... i am a small dude (5'5 140lbs) so i got the lovly side task of being a "rafter rat". If a big box or missed "irreg" gets wedged on a belt. the belt gets shut down and i get sent to climb up the metal shoot and "fix" the problem. That usually involves climbing 20' up to the rafters over boxes and un-jamming the jam with my "steel toed boots of destruction".

In all fairness a buddy that worked at fedex said they are set up about the same just a little better management.

SO be sure to use some extra bubble rap when sending your package to grandma.:eek: :)

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ

I actually do just that. :D

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
fedex officially blows as well. My evil imperial showed up today in a different box than it was originally shipped in, and was missing the packing slip, my e13 reducer cups, and my fsa headset. how hard is it to send a package from maine to massachusetts, WTF!!!

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
Originally posted by dhmtbj
fedex officially blows as well. My evil imperial showed up today in a different box than it was originally shipped in, and was missing the packing slip, my e13 reducer cups, and my fsa headset. how hard is it to send a package from maine to massachusetts, WTF!!!
yeah that's why i said i use fedex by default, NOT cause I like fedex... they all pretty much blow just the same....

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
All the transcend store traffic moved to fedex from UPS recently. They destroyed a computer, lost a box, lost a shipment of dainese...

so ya the inflated insurance checks on their part were nice, but still a mega hassle.