Quantcast

Man vs. Log

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
I wanna see the guys calling to bunnyhop that log actually perform said bunnyhop over that log. I know there are probably some of you who can, but I also bet that fallen tree (that ain't no log) looks a helluva lot harder to get up and over in person than it does on a youtube video.
I can get up a 3 foot parking barrier-jerseywall-thing, I should be able to tackle that log. but really you don't even need to clear it, just get the majority of yourself over.

Also keep in mind that measuring your bunny hop with no obstacle is worthless. You can easily clear higher stuff just because of the mental aspect of having something there.

SloMoJo

Monkey
Dec 17, 2002
New England
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Checked out that video at home ...no Utube at work... What a riot!
Some classic endos.

I'de give myself a 50% chance of cleaning it. I've gone over a log like that before, but also been stopped silly just as often. They kept hittin it ... that's part of the fun out there. Good for them. :thumb:

That pink bike just cracked me up. :rofl:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
After watching that vid, I went over to my neighbors and asked them for one of the huge cut up logs he had piled behind his house. :busted:

I spent a while out back just riding over and over it, but its only 17" or so. Id have to say that the log looks alot smaller in the video than in real life. I definitely couldnt hop on top of it w/ my rear, but I think I could still get over it.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
That pink bike just cracked me up. :rofl:
It's a painted Inbred 29er.

I can honestly say drevil has more fun on his bike than anyone I've had the pleasure to ride with. The guy has insane skills, but there's rarely a serious moment while riding. It's all about having fun and a little friendly competition.

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
watching that video it occurs to me that it would be much faster to use a chainsaw instead of having all those people gnawing on it with their chainrings....

and for the record I could definitely time a bunnyhop wrong and smash my face right into the log. then the bike gets catapulted by my legs and clears 6-8 feet of air as it unclips from my shoes.....

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Syadasti should just go pro, I don't see how anyone with so much knowledge and skill could remain a privateer this long.

No way could I get over that log!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Mut can do those properly. i've seen him and another non monkey rider do em where you get up top. Stall when you have the bottom bracket rested on the top of the log. Then they hop the bike forward, keeping the bike level until the rear wheel gets to the top of the log. Then they wheelie drop it.

Those guys are rolling it which is why they endo almost every time. A huge log like that can really do a number on the jewels though with a high seat that's for sure....

A great video of an obviously fun session, the pogo approach is good, i've done that a few times. i can get pretty sloppy on the up and overs, don't think i've ever hopped a log that big.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Syadasti should just go pro, I don't see how anyone with so much knowledge and skill could remain a privateer this long.

:clapping:

:rofl:

**edit**

I am pretty sure I could get over that log... it would def. be fun to try! but this isn't a pissing contest. We hop sh!t like that a lot on our trails all the time... we have some parks in the area with some pretty old growth trees, sometimes they fall... we have the parks people trained to cut out a section so that most people can go through, but we have them leave the rest so we can play around on it!

I think bikegeek put it best... when he said it's all about having fun!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT

Perhaps I can arrange sponsorship for your gut while I'm at it too:busted:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
kneepads @ the kingdom.........hahahahaha
my thoughts precisely! :busted:

then again if you are going to attempt to rip off your shins and kneecaps by mis-executing a trials move... then... I guess you need them!

IAB...

I have heard about your E-bike abilities! YOu da MAN!!!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
That had to really bug you that an old fat man on a singlespeed was in front of you on the trails and flying over your head on the jumps all weekend :busted:
There was only a single jump and everyone was hitting it, you and me included. You had an ASX not a SS.

Who was first around on the obstacle structure...

i-ride

Monkey
May 12, 2006
Frederick
The only bike to make it over the log was a 29er !
False.

Here's a guy clearing it on a 26r, dragging his ring.

And here's another guy CLEANING it on a 26r.

Also, one of the rules to this friendly competition was to leave your saddle at normal height.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Also, one of the rules to this friendly competition was to leave your saddle at normal height.
Hey Brian, (this is brian right?) Have you tried it yet? I never get over that way, so I haven't. I'm just going to have to find an equally high log somewhere else nearby and give it a whirl. I know I'd be draggin' the ol' bash guard on that thing for sure... Ha.

Dave

i-ride

Monkey
May 12, 2006
Frederick
psh.. i rode up to it with speed just to gauge- that's about as far as I got :busted:

Don't know of anything comparable (ie @ 29"+, unramped, suspended) round your way, or even up my way, for that matter. I dunno, might be something close over on Balto side of Patapsco?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
The only bike to make it over the log was a 29er !
reminds of a pic i have of you when we were riding in oregon years back. maybe the bigger wheels would have helped then. :D

i think the biggest log i've ever cleared was that one in (spot shall remain nameless) that i was able to clear, but brandenburg couldn't (did he end up tweaking his rim or having some mechanical?).

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
psh.. i rode up to it with speed just to gauge- that's about as far as I got :busted:

Don't know of anything comparable (ie @ 29"+, unramped, suspended) round your way, or even up my way, for that matter. I dunno, might be something close over on Balto side of Patapsco?
I don't have the balls to bump and jump anything that tall. A ledge, yeah, without hesitation but a log, hell no. My method is the more trials oriented approach, slow, front wheel up, hop for balance and lunge over the top. Oh and my seat post is always slapped down low so technically I'm cheating. It maybe sloppy but it works (sometimes anyway).

Yeah, There's some stuff hidden in Patapsco around that size. I've got the scars to prove it... I haven't hit that particular Patapsco trail up since last fall. There's rumors that 'a guy' broke his neck endoing over one of the big logs. It's always a friend of a friend of a friend when I hear about it. Until I actually meet 'the guy', I don't believe it. I swear sometimes people just make stuff up so that they can have something to argue about. You know how it is...