Quantcast

manitou nixon super

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Just picked up a new nixon super air off of ebay. Didnt come with an owners manual. The site doent list anything for air pressure in the fork. I weigh around 225 with gear. Anybody got any info to help? Any thing else I should know about setting up the fork?

Dennis

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Thier air pressure settings don't make sense anyways. On my fork, i beleive it says 65-80% of your body weight. 65% means I crush the fork off curbs. 80% makes it pogo off the smallest hit, almost like the rebound valve can't handle it.

Another winner by manitou for sure.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Thier air pressure settings don't make sense anyways. On my fork, i beleive it says 65-80% of your body weight. 65% means I crush the fork off curbs. 80% makes it pogo off the smallest hit, almost like the rebound valve can't handle it.

the fork is way to sensitive anyways to go by generic numbers.

The great part about air forks is it costs nothing to experiment with spring rates; fill it up until you get around 1.5 in of sag (more or less depending on preferences). Following someone else's numbers for any air suspension is a no-no; fill it as you require it.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Put some air in.

If it sags too much, put in some more.

If it doesn't move much, let some out.

That's copywrighted so I better not see that on the internet somewhere.

pump it up
then see if it doesnt move, you overdid it
if there is too much sag, keep pumping

see ya in court woo

guero

Chimp
Mar 27, 2005
Vancouver now Halifax

65% TO 80% of bodyweight not 65% OR 80%...it's a range

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Put some air in.

If it sags too much, put in some more.

If it doesn't move much, let some out.

That's copywrighted so I better not see that on the internet somewhere.
Wow thanks for the help. Bike suspension set up just became so much easier lol.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Wow thanks for the help. Bike suspension set up just became so much easier lol.
Or you're just trying to make something more complicated than it needs to be.;)

I've had air forks and rear shocks on my xc bikes for the last 5 years. I've switched out both ends with various shocks on each one and never once read a manual on reccomended pressures. Seriously, like zed said, just play with it till it feels right. You're going to do the same thing starting from the reccomendation anyway.

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX

So your ideal setting is somwhere between 65-80% of your body weight :clapping:

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Or you're just trying to make something more complicated than it needs to be.;)

I've had air forks and rear shocks on my xc bikes for the last 5 years. I've switched out both ends with various shocks on each one and never once read a manual on reccomended pressures. Seriously, like zed said, just play with it till it feels right. You're going to do the same thing starting from the reccomendation anyway.
This is my first bike with front and rear air shocks. I understand what you are saying just want a starting point

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA

Turns out there is a spring to assist the air chamber. That could be your problem. I am #225 and just ordered the X-firm spring. There is a post on mtbr about it. A guy about my size changed out the spring and now he says he is only using about #130 of pressure.